advertisement

Dynaudio Audience 60 - Facebook Marketplace - Faulty Tweeter?

RRRuss

I just picked up a used set of Dynaudio Audience 60's - got back home, and there's no HF from one of the speakers. The other driver seems to be working fine.

Is it fair to assume it needs a new tweeter, or could it be something else please? (Crossover maybe?)

Also, I can't seem to see any of the tweeters on eBay and such. Does anyone know if these are available still please and if so, how much they are please?

Thanks,
Russ.

It could be either, or the wiring internally - or if they are biwirable, the link between the two sets of terminals, though I think the 60s have only the one set of terminals and are not biwirable? But... it's more common for a tweeter to be blown than any other component, in my experience.

If you don't have any test equipment, probably the simplest test is to take out the tweeters and swap them between the two speakers, and see if the lack of HF swaps too.

This is the reason why I never take the seller's word that all drivers are working!

It could be either, or the wiring internally - or if they are biwirable, the link between the two sets of terminals, though I think the 60s have only the one set of terminals and are not biwirable? But... it's more common for a tweeter to be blown than any other component, in my experience.

If you don't have any test equipment, probably the simplest test is to take out the tweeters and swap them between the two speakers, and see if the lack of HF swaps too.

This is the reason why I never take the seller's word that all drivers are working!

Thanks, I'll swap them over - fingers crossed its just the tweeters. That said, they don't seem to be available anywhere... nightmare!

If you can’t find the original Dynaudio tweeter, have a look at Morel, they are very similar and easy to source.
As said before, better replace both to keep the balance.

Thanks for the advice. Will try Wilmslow and Falcon this morning.

The speakers were only £125, so less of a bargain when I factor in new tweeters

If you look at Morel tweeters, make sure you get one with the right physical dimensions; the D28/2, a variant of which was used in the audience range, has a diameter of 111mm (110.5 max specified by Dynaudio, https://site.diy-loudspeakers.com/i...speakers/dynaudio/TWEETERS/DYNAUDIO_D28v2.pdf).

I changed the tweeters in my Audience 42 for genuine D28/2s that I bought from a dealer on eBay. Both had beed refurbished with new Ferrofluid and sound much better than the old ones. Had to increase the resistor in the crossover (3R9 -> 5R6), in order to match their slightly higher sensitivity, though.

Best,
Oliver

It could be a wiring fault or even a corroded crossover capacitor lead that has decided to no longer be conductive (that took a bit of finding, believe me...)

Ignore me sorry, I thought they were fine when I swapped the tweeter over as the volume was v low (people asleep) but when I connected the other side, the difference was clear.

I would email Dynaudio direct.
I used their speakers for many years and found them extremely helpful.
They even sent me some free badges when my daughter peeled them off and ate them or whatever she did with them lol.

advertisement

Back