advertisement

[FS] Dual BFA to banana adaptors for Cyrus, Arcam, etc.

Antifon

pfm Member
This is a set of four dual adaptors, each designed to convert a dual-output BFA speaker connection (as used on most Cyrus amplifiers, and a few others such as Arcam) into a dual 4mm banana connection.

These came about a few years ago when I used to make and sell single BFA to 4mm banana adaptors - of which I made several hundred.

At the time, one of the criticisms of the speaker connectors that Cyrus use is that - compared with screw-down spade connectors - the contact area per BFA connection is relatively small. The spring-loaded cage inside the plug has five small points of contact on the socket. On the lesser Cyrus amps this is probably not an issue, but on the monos especially this could be a constraint.

Hence these were made. Essentially each is a pair of Deltron BFA connectors joined with two solid 5mm bars, each silver-soldered in place - jig-assembled to fit the dual socket perfectly, gold-plated once assembled, and shrouded in modified Deltron outer casings.

The intention is simple: Double the contact area. and provide a simple means to use banana-terminated speaker cable in a Cyrus amp without having to re-terminate the cables.

I'm after £25, plus postage at £1.50 RM 1st Class.

Here's a pic of four pairs "naked" (without the Deltron outers) and below that, two pairs in a Cyrus Mono (this advert includes 4 pairs - a complete stereo set). They are (obviously) not intended to be used "naked" - the pic is just to show how they work. Please note that they protrude from the back of the amp about an inch, so if you are tight for space behind the amp, they may not fit in.

I should add that the reason I stopped making BFA adaptors was not because there was no demand. It turned out to be impossible to find a plating company that would do small-volume work in gold and silver without messing you about constantly...

And the reason I decided not to make any more than 2 sets of these adaptors is because they are incredibly labour-intensive to make. Each set of four needed 48 drilling operations and 16 soldered joints - it simply wasn't viable as a manual operation!

Thanks, but he is after BFA plugs, which these are not. They are adaptors so that you don't have to re-terminate speaker cables that already have 4mm banana plugs, if you have an amplifier with dual BFA outputs (as all but the oldest of Cyrus products do).

Hi John - replied by PM. But to reiterate - the Cyrus Power is an odd one, because they were made with three different kinds of speaker terminal: 3mm banana, 4mm banana and BFA. The first of these are very difficult to deal with, as audio-quality 3mm bananas are thin on the ground now. I used to solve the problem by swapping the sockets in the amp for BFA sockets, but I don't think they are made any more. Very few of the Power amps were made with BFA sockets from the factory, as Cyrus moved on to the Smartpower, which (AFAIK) had BFA sockets right through production.

So... what sort of plug/adaptor you need will depend on what sort of socket your Power has...

Unexpectedly, my second set of BFA adaptors is now available - I had expected to keep my Cyrus Mono amps for longer, but it didn't work out that way...

So I have one set of four twin adaptors available - at £25, including UK postage.

In summary they are adaptors that are designed to use both of the BFA sockets on a power amp (typically a Cyrus power amp), permitting speaker cables with 4mm banana plugs to be used instead of having to re-terminate the cable with BFAs - if you're not completely sure about that, please read the first post in this thread, where they are described fully.

advertisement

Back