advertisement

Harbeth p3ser 40th

Jarek

Hello,

Are Harbeths p3ser 40th worth the money or better to stick to the regular ones or to any other from 3/5 familly?

jpt

You won’t be disappointed with the standard ones, recently discontinued so you can pick them up new for £1655.

I own the anniversary model and it is special (I didn’t realize any were still available). But the regular model is great as well and on sale. They’re both excellent and very competitive among the 3/5 family which itself is a great family of speakers. In my view, you cannot go wrong.

I have Croft gear and Tannoy 6.2. I am happy with it. People advice Harbeth as perfect match. Then is Harbeth p3ser 40th improvement over Tannoy 6.2 or better to go something higher in the line?

Based on your last note a couple thoughts. If you’re happy why change. Croft is very nice and your Tannoys got a great review in What Hi-Fi for what that’s worth. But we all like change so do consider room size and amplifier power. The P3 ESRs like more intimate spaces and near field listening. I’m about 7 ft from mine. They like power. They can run on smaller amps but prefer a little omph. I have used mine with a Devialet 170 and McIntosh 275 MK IV. That’s my two cents.

Have fun. Oh, and as always listen at home if you can.

@Clay B

How do you mean, they like power? If playing a lower-powered amp at low volume level with no chance of clipping, having extra Watts available can’t make any difference, as no extra power will be demanded by the speakers. I’ve read people say this sort of thing before and maybe it makes sense to them on an intuitive level, but it makes zero electrical sense.

I think the spirit of those words lies in listening habits and room size. A well furnished, large room may need it's speakers run louder than a small, sparse room. More power to load the room, getting to the point where the speakers seem to 'come alive' My Old HL5's came on song like that at around 85Db, which took the Luxman to a fair way round the pot. Some speakers just are not 'present' until a certain volume has been reached, and some (like tannoys) seem to be fine from a standstill.

The spearkers are located about 2-3m away, then not very close. But on the net I saw many times such small speakers placed in quite large rooms.

The Anniversary P3ESR was slightly better than the standard version and popular, I did sell a few pairs. However, they were discontinued a few months ago and are to be replaced with the new P3ESR XD, which is an improvement on the Anniversary.

I now have the C7ES3 XD, M30.2 XD and SHL5+ XD here, and the P3ESR XD will be here next week. They will be available for order from next week.

The Anniversary P3ESR was slightly better than the standard version and popular, I did sell a few pairs. However, they were discontinued a few months ago and are to be replaced with the new P3ESR XD, which is an improvement on the Anniversary.

I now have the C7ES3 XD, M30.2 XD and SHL5+ XD here, and the P3ESR XD will be here next week. They will be available for order from next week.

Do the XD range replace the anniversary and the regular line or just the anniversary ones?

advertisement

Back