advertisement

Another DIY AC Motor Controller

Ok, that looks cool, I was thinking about something along those lines myself.

To save us reading every in the first thread, can you write a brief synopsis of what people thought about this design who have tested it so far compared to the usual Linn PSU options?

Stefan

do you know if this controller might work on Nott. Analogue Spacedeck synchronous 220v ac motor?

I have put down for one. Might use it to revive my Pink Triangle LPT that has a blown PSU. Or maybe try it on the Thorens TD145

Ok, that looks cool, I was thinking about something along those lines myself.

To save us reading every in the first thread, can you write a brief synopsis of what people thought about this design who have tested it so far compared to the usual Linn PSU options?

Stefan

I don't believe any boards have been delivered yet, looks like the project is still being finalised.

On the plus side it has some very nice features: a speed sensor (no other DIY AC motor controller I know of has this), will work with low voltage motors and has built in power amps to drive the motor directly. LP 12 owners can just drop this in to replace their old power supplies.

On the minus side it is not isolated from the mains, but neither are the Valhalla or Hercules so I can live with that.

I received a bare PCB kit a couple of weeks ago ahead of the general release. Steve provided it on the basis of some builders helping to debug the build instructions.

I was initially a little daunted as the majority of the components are SMD and the transistors were tiny. However, by going slowly I managed to complete the build and get the PSU working. I would be concerned to try and build one without a descent magnifying viewer and good lighting. I also had access to an ancient oscilloscope which was very useful as there are a number of test points in the build where the sinewave can be monitored. I also has an isolation transformer so didn't have to worry about the mains supply so much.

Last night I mounted the IR sensor that monitors the platter speed and then configure the board for adaptive speed control. It works brilliantly and its fascinating to see the measured rotation speed at exactly 33.333 RPM.

I haven't lived with it long enough to have any feedback on its sonic qualities.

Has anybody else built or fitted one yet?

Cheers
Ian

Mine has arrived, fully built but I'll likely not get round to it for a few weeks. To many other DIY projects on the boil.

I received a bare PCB kit a couple of weeks ago ahead of the general release. Steve provided it on the basis of some builders helping to debug the build instructions.

I was initially a little daunted as the majority of the components are SMD and the transistors were tiny. However, by going slowly I managed to complete the build and get the PSU working. I would be concerned to try and build one without a descent magnifying viewer and good lighting. I also had access to an ancient oscilloscope which was very useful as there are a number of test points in the build where the sinewave can be monitored. I also has an isolation transformer so didn't have to worry about the mains supply so much.

Last night I mounted the IR sensor that monitors the platter speed and then configure the board for adaptive speed control. It works brilliantly and its fascinating to see the measured rotation speed at exactly 33.333 RPM.

I haven't lived with it long enough to have any feedback on its sonic qualities.

Has anybody else built or fitted one yet?

Cheers
Ian
Hello Ian.
I purchased one too.
I received it on Tuesday but due to not having the correct standoffs not been able to install it as of yet.
A brilliant piece of kit,so professional!

The instruction manual etc,first rate!
I bought it to enable me to play 12" 45 rpm singles.

I tried installing the PID software on my laptop but was unable to do so,probably a Windows 7 glitch.

I'll try installing it on a Windows 10 machine when I get the board fitted.
Are you using the board in a Linn LP12?

I and a few others have mentioned installing the sensor under the platter in the LP 12 and Steve has found a fix for this,i'll email him later to find out more.

I'm so looking forward to installing it.
Regards
Ray

My sensor is under the platter of my LP12 with black tape as the marker (Steve told me this was better than white). I have the actual board mounted in a separate case rather than in the plinth.

I got the software to run on my Windows 10 PC, though Windows Defender didn't like it and I had to make an exception for the PID program for it to work.

I have been listening to music for a couple of hours and it sounds great, I look forward to others findings.

Cheers
Ian

I haven't received my boards yet.

Steve's boards have a 40mm diameter hole, l so the board should fit on the Sondek with the new Karousel bearing.

Got my ready built unit sort of going a couple of nights ago. Got the laptop connected and software talking to it. It will run any commonly used synchronous motor that we see on turntables. My old Pink Triangle LPT is in bits with motor wired directly to the board and is running. Got to figure out how to mount it all now - there is very little room under the top plate of an LPT - so an external box seems to be the route forward.

Took me a bit longer than I thought...beware, anyone interested, you must buy or create an isolation transformer for testing work - this board is direct mains connected! and your laptop should be on battery only. All well explained in the instructions but was not apparent to me until it arrived.

Got mine (ready built) but haven't had a chance to mount and try it yet. Nice little housing for the button and display but I can't help thinking that a bit of whittling of a spare piece of oak skirting board will need to be done for the final implementation.

Thank you @JensenHealey, I participated too in the GB and waiting for the board and loose parts for Scobham AC motor controller

Got my ready built unit sort of going a couple of nights ago. Got the laptop connected and software talking to it. It will run any commonly used synchronous motor that we see on turntables. My old Pink Triangle LPT is in bits with motor wired directly to the board and is running. Got to figure out how to mount it all now - there is very little room under the top plate of an LPT - so an external box seems to be the route forward.

Took me a bit longer than I thought...beware, anyone interested, you must buy or create an isolation transformer for testing work - this board is direct mains connected! and your laptop should be on battery only. All well explained in the instructions but was not apparent to me until it arrived.
Hi JensenHealey.
I too have got the board to communicate with the Auduino but unable to install the board in my LP12 at the mo as I awaiting some standoffs.
PID looks a bit daunting at first but the manual/instructions Steve has supplied are excellent and shouldn't pose a problem if one sticks to the guidance but it's all new to me 'Never heard of PID before'!

I'm looking forward to fitting and testing.
Regarding the room available under your PT,it looks like you'll have to go down the external box route as you have said.

There isn't much room in the LP12 too. I'm awaiting some 6 mm standoffs hoping there is enough clearance but it will be fairly tight!

I'm mulling over whether to fit the control box in a separate enclosure but cutting out the holes particularly the Oled display might pose a problem?

Regards
Ray

I'm mulling over whether to fit the control box in a separate enclosure but cutting out the holes particularly the Oled display might pose a problem?

I spent some time wondering about this. The OLED display is tiny and after a few hours of watching the turntable speed to 3 decimal places I decided I didn't actually need to see it, so I mounted the display inside my external box! If I ever need to do any fault finding its available to see.

Before deciding to mount the display internally I did buy a mounting bezel off Ebay. Antone want it they can have it.

Cheers
Ian

advertisement

Back