advertisement

Dynavector cartridges

deserter

pfm Member
One for Vinyl people

My Dynavector XX2 is nearing the end of its useful life and I’m looking at replacement options.

I have used DV cartridges since forever so am not really looking to change brands, however I fancy a change of model and am curious about the opinions of other users .

In an ideal world I would upgrade to the Te Kaitora, I’m told that the current version is a big improvement on earlier models

I have on the other hand heard it said the the low output version of the DV 20 does about 98% of what the XX2 does with the benefit also of a warmer sound.

The TK is about 3 times the price of the DV20 so the attractions of the latter are obvious

Any thoughts?

I have absolutely no complaints regarding my 20x2, in fact I'm just about to replace it with another.

I'd thought about the XX2 and I'm sure it'd sound great, but at nearly twice the price it's hard to justify. That's a lot of records I could be buying instead.

The cart I'm considering after my XX2 goes, cos I fancy a change, is a Lyra Delos or possibly push the boat if a deal is around for a Kleos, otherwise you could just trade it in for a new XX2 with 20% or so off

The XX2 is very good, was concerned about the extra £ compared to my 10x5 and if it was worth the bump, but it defo was from me

What, in a broadly similar league, have you owned or listened to at length?

I hade a 20X2L and changed to a Delos - OK, around 50% more ££, but it would take a vast amount of somebody else's money to get me to change back to a DV. More detail, more musical, more natural sound, to my ears anyway.

id really recommend the 17D Karat, i got of to a poor start with mini but i think it was mainly dirty records but I've used it for around 7+ years and it just gets better, i did buy a new lyra delos but i much prefer the Karat.
I had a 20xl2 and it didn't come near in my opinion

John @ Pear Audio does DV carts trade ins.....imho the XX2 is worth the outlay....had mine for a wee while now and it's a wee stoater ( trans = very good ) :).

I hade a 20X2L and changed to a Delos. More detail, more musical, more natural sound, to my ears anyway.

Familiar with Lyra (Clavis, Helikon, Titan i) , Benz (Ebony ) and current Transfig. (Proteus) as well as Koetsus and older Linn (Karma) and Roksan (Shiraz).
Never heard a DV, the Naim/LP12 owners' choice by repute, and wonder how the sonic presentation compares. Lyras ain't warm, so by your comment, I'd assume that DVs are marginally cooler than neutral.

The only one of my cart's, from memory where applicable, which is very hard to describe is my Transfig. Utterly indescribable by hifi-related adjectives; simply transparent without frequency limitations. Such a shame they're now history.

If you want a 'budget' upper level cart., I'd agree with you, Vinny. Lyras are lively, punchy and dependable; they also have the benefit of a very decent output (0.5+mV), the ability to be happy in a whole range of lower medium mass arms (say, 11g to 18g), a lovely extended cantilever to cue or break and a very good trade-in. What's not to like? :)

Last edited:
currently running a DV20 and happy enough, but the Lyra is 'better' although, to promote the DV, it kicks ass in a more serious way. If your collection needs some life, the DV20 is the best way at it for least, but as an all rounder I'd take any Lyra over it's eq priced DV.

I've owned a few Dynavector carts - currently on a XX2 which is very good - more cultured sound than the 20 which, incidentally, I don't think comes close to 98% of the XX2! The XX2 allows more details and insight into the different layers to come through. The 20 is more of a rock and roll cart though so it may be preferable in that regard.
I loved the 17D2 which was fast and detailed and a really exciting listen until the cantilever collapsed. There are aspects of its sound which I haven't really found in other carts to date.

Thanks all.

Is anyone using the Te Kaitora? Very expensive I know but allegedly worth it.

I switched to DV about 15 years ago having previously used Lyra cartridges, I always found the DV cartridges more natural , smooth and open . I’m on my second XX, after starting with the 17 which was sweet but a little lightweight I thought.

deserter,

I have an XX-2 Mk II and like it a lot. I've heard the XV-1s on a couple of occasions and it's better in every way but it's many, many clams.

That's what I'd get if I were flush and looking for an upgrade. Otherwise another XX-2 would be my choice and recommendation.

Joe

What sort of level would you guys look to be at for deck/arm/stage to justify £4K up for a cart.

I have a Gyro SE/PU7/XX2/Trilogy 907 - I’m thinking Lyra Kleos as max before changing deck and looking at Te Kat.

Deck wise the Orbe SE or SER is the obvious choice, but am tempted by a VPI Sig.

What sort of level would you guys look to be at for deck/arm/stage to justify £4K up for a cart.

I have a Gyro SE/PU7/XX2/Trilogy 907 - I’m thinking Lyra Kleos as max before changing deck and looking at Te Kat.

Deck wise the Orbe SE or SER is the obvious choice, but am tempted by a VPI Sig.
I have a VPI Prime Sig, which I really like a lot. Just about to dip a toe into the MC water (got a 2M Black at the mo’ as my preamp’s phono stage is MM only). I rate it over the Orbe - similar weight and solidity, but better boogie, IMHO, and I have the feeling there’s a lot more to come. Not owned the Orbe, mind you, just heard them now and then.

Thinking about trying a 2M Black on my Technics, I have always had MC, some HO ones, but always MC until I got the Technics, had an AT95 on it, now a used Hana EL I got off a pfmer and I fancy trying a more up market MM.

Had the Gyro since 2003 so after COVID ends I will look to trade it in for the VPI like yours, or an outside chance - an AVID.

I think it's more about your philosophy. I'm a 'transducers matter' bloke, but any Linn owner will tell you I'm an idiot, and the deck makes 90% of the noise you hear. I think otherwise.
As to a cost balance that's up to you but clearly Linnsters spend little compared to the arm cost and I spend a fair bit more.
My own balance has always been that the arm matters most when thinking about cartridges. Think how good it is, how good are the bearings? How well made is it? Is it well reviewed for it's sound? Then work out how good a cartridge it will take.
For example, my SME M2 9 is 'vg' imo, Phantoms, Tri Planars and SME V's etc are a step up obvs. It costs about 1600 now and has run carts up to 2 grand with ease. The deck was about double the arm cost and that seemed right. Deck = arm + cart.

I should have said, I’m running a Well Tempered Simplex 2 which, once you’ve got it set up, takes all tinkering and arm swapping out of the equation.

I did a few years back borrow an early Amadeus with DV XV1s which was truly awesome and I can testify that the Well Tempered arm can certainly handle it. My interest in the Te Kaitora arises from being told it’s much improved and gets very close the the XV1s indeed at about half the price .

I was working on an approx 1/4 split when I go for Kleos/Te Kat. My Audio Origami PU7 seems pretty well received. Just musing for now until we get through C19 and I'm allowed out and about again and get down South for a demo or two.

Gyro SE + HR PSU + Base = £2700
PU7 = £2200
Kleos £2500
907 = £2700​

I was working on an approx 1/4 split when I go for Kleos/Te Kat. My Audio Origami PU7 seems pretty well received. Just musing for now until we get through C19 and I'm allowed out and about again and get down South for a demo or two.

Gyro SE + HR PSU + Base = £2700
PU7 = £2200
Kleos £2500
907 = £2700​
I noticed you also name checked Avid upthread, and if you’re thinking of the Sequel, it’s another TT I really like. Just not with an SME arm. I imagine the PU7 would be superb.

I noticed you also name checked Avid upthread, and if you’re thinking of the Sequel, it’s another TT I really like. Just not with an SME arm. I imagine the PU7 would be superb.
I actually bought an SME V a while back, sold it and went back to a TechnoArm then replaced that with the PU7 - I have to find out myself so end up buying stuff then selling, a lot of the time conventional wisdom, reviews and the best thing to buy and my opinion don't agree. The SME V is beautifully built but didn't do much for me on the Gyro.

Went to Leeds in 1983 to buy the HiFi Answers darlings LP12/LVX/Nait1 - ended up at a different dealer and came home with a PT1/Helius/Magnum IA125 The Linn dealer was a dick, sneered and p*ssed on my RD80/Rogers A75 as being absolute rubbish.

The Gyro SE is a great TT, perhaps try the Orbe platter kit or some of the rubber band suspension kits.
I moved from a Gyrodec, bronze AC model to a Voyd and then to a Hyperspace, the Hyperspace was a notably better TT than either the Gyrodec or the Voyd. I now use a Dais, I'd recommend you listen to some of the NA TTs.
IME both Lyra and DV make first class MC 's

advertisement

Back