advertisement

Kitchen Sink Pop-up Waste

Vinny

pfm Member
I have searched and can't find a replacement, maybe someone here...…

No idea of brand BTW. Originally came with a Wicke's kitchen.

I have a one and a half bowl kitchen sink. the main sink has a pop-up waste that operates from a button at the front of the unit. The connection is a cable, to be honest I'm unsure how it is attached to the lever in the waste that raises and lowers the strainer plug.

The button is chromed metal but it operated inside a flanged, thick-walled, threaded plastic tube, which is what is held in place in the hole by a plastic wing nut. The top flange has sheared from the tube, so the whole just hangs from the sink, and won't operate.

I have used ABS cement a couple of times and it has held for a few weeks each time.

So - any chance of finding a new operating button? Or is it time for a new double waste kit? (I know what will likely be the case - new button and cable £3 less than an entire new waste - around £40.) Or just disconnect and blank the hole in the sink.

If you still think this job can be glued try this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NP30V1M/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21 This is the real industrial stuff and makes Superglue look like flour paste in comparison. Its also dirt cheap compared with the relatively useless consumer glues. Take care as its really strong and sets in about 15 sec but I leave 24 hrs to obtain full strength. Make sure the bonded surfaces are clean, dry and grease free.

Cheers,

DV

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
better to replace , ?? something like this maybe ……………………….

Two hassles with replacement - I have been here before - in this case cost - £40+, for not very much, and also the major problem of getting the correct flange sizes, which seem to be totally non-standardised. The two that would have to be replaced here are around 110mm diameter - large. All that assumes that you get something that is at least moderately easily aligned to the exit, out through the wall.

I'd probably blank the hole rather than replace - FAR easier, if less convenient.

ah , difficult to visualise without seeing it , sounds a real pain . i might be tempted to replace the whole sink if its that difficult !!

Buy a plug and a chain.

I have the plug, which could not easily be replaced on its own due to shape and size.

Replace the whole sink - probably not a lot more expensive than the replacement waste kit, but not going to happen either. The cheap and simple option is skip the pop-up convenience and fit a blanking plug, which I assume are available and cost not much.

I really hate the totally unwarranted complication that makes anyone want to replace the whole sink when it fails.

yes , just had a 220 pound electric cooker fail today , do you replace the oven at 220 quid or pay the 220 quid policy per year to hotpoint to keep repairing it !! i chose the latter as its less hassle

I have the plug, which could not easily be replaced on its own due to shape and size.

Replace the whole sink - probably not a lot more expensive than the replacement waste kit, but not going to happen either. The cheap and simple option is skip the pop-up convenience and fit a blanking plug, which I assume are available and cost not much.

I guess thats an option sealing it with something like ct1 or similar

https://www.toolden.co.uk/accessories/adhesives-sealants/ct1-sealants-adhesives/?filter[Brand][]=543

Dave

What a star you are!!! Spot on, or certainly appears to be anyway!

And peanuts too. Even better

advertisement

Back