advertisement

Infected Cummings travelled around England with disease. Fire him now.

quite funny if he has now dobbed himself about the no planning permission saga ,if he had not gone there causing a lot of attention nobody would know of its existance

If there's one consolation, it might give our resident mountaineer (stevec67) a bit of a challenge.
Scaling the north face of the carpet (considering the amount absolute shite swept under it lately).

Dave.

The superforecaster failed to forecast his own sh1t-

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...now-they-want-his-head?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
“Support for the government has dropped by eight points, the largest weekly plunge ever recorded by Opinium. Boris Johnson has said “people will make up their own minds”. The people have. They think his chief adviser is a rule-breaking liar who should be sacked if he won’t resign.

The reasons why they think this could elude only someone who is supposed to be a genius at reading public opinion”.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...now-they-want-his-head?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
“Support for the government has dropped by eight points, the largest weekly plunge ever recorded by Opinium. Boris Johnson has said “people will make up their own minds”. The people have. They think his chief adviser is a rule-breaking liar who should be sacked if he won’t resign.

The reasons why they think this could elude only someone who is supposed to be a genius at reading public opinion”.

Yes they've made up their own minds and despite Cumming, the complete and utter mess they've made of their handling of the virus and 50K dead and counting still give the Tories a 4 point lead over Labour so not sure anyone should start celebrating just yet!

jackbarron said:
It remains to be seen if he will get away with it.

FFS, he just did! Is that not obvious to anyone no matter how much they hope otherwise?

Only a mug would think he has, apart from the Tories.

No mug and no Tory, but I was right.... a week on from his lies in the garden and he's still there... as said he's got away with it!

The trouble is that when you only generally mix with people of your own political persuasion you get a distorted view of the world and while many on here would fully expect him to have resigned or have been sacked the Tories are so far removed from what many would consider the proper way to behave with their manipulating, lying and self interest/pigs at the trough mentality that you have to realise they are going to see things very differently. As soon as it was announced Cummings was to do an address to the nation last Monday I knew he was staying... any decent government would have forced him out over the preceding weekend. This one doesn't know where to draw the line and frankly doesn't care.

It's a disgrace, but it's also no surprise!

Chatting to my brother yesterday, I heard an interesting theory: when the government decided on the 'lockdown' it based its forecasts on various assumptions about how closely people would follow the rules. And those assumptions were that a lot more people would break the rules, than actually did. This meant the economy closed down more than intended, and the budget for support, etc, was going to be exceeded. So some 'nudging' went on, to 'encourage' more people to break the rules. So, ambiguous and contradictory advice, guidelines that implied you could do more than the police were saying, and so-on.

I'm still sceptical, but it does fit the modus operandi. The argument then goes that when people still stayed home, the Cummings Stunt was deployed to stir things up a bit. I'm less convinced about this, because a fair amount of work went into obscuring the trail, and if it had been intended as a disruptor, ways would have been found to have it discovered rather sooner, I suspect. But the wider point is that nobody is surprised anymore by stories of this Machiavellian nature.

Opinion polls at this stage are completely meaningless. Labour are going in the right direction but that is all.

Agreed, but I wish they'd be a bit more aggressive with it. Starmer could really rip into the government over schools right now and the advice to the vulnerable who have been shielding that they can now go outside. It's not like Labour don't have plenty to go at.... I say that as a member of the party btw.

Agreed, but I wish they'd be a bit more aggressive with it. Starmer could really rip into the government over schools right now and the advice to the vulnerable who have been shielding that they can now go outside. It's not like Labour don't have plenty to go at.... I say that as a member of the party btw.
Yes, I am not sure I fully understand but while Parliament is in recess it could be a tactic to pick his moment.

The big problem is that the overall mood against the Govt is very negative so any Labour attack could get lost. I think the Tories are now in full ‘political phase’, they are banking on ‘misery fatigue’ so are just trying to get things back to ‘normal’.

I am very wary of assuming everyone shares my views (they don’t) & think the public mood re schools is perhaps a bit more complex? The announcement re shielding is utterly bizarre, the Govt are just throwing the dice & being reckless.

This whole situation is so troubling & I am very dubious of anyone saying they have a clear path out of this with any certainty.

I am very wary of assuming everyone shares my views (they don’t) & think the public mood re schools is perhaps a bit more complex?

Indeed it is, my partner yesterday rang round her Year 6 child's friends' parents to see who was sending their kid into school and the responses were all the way from 'no way, it's not safe, are you mad?' to 'if you are even thinking of not sending your kids back you're a bad parent' - I'm paraphrasing, but you get the picture. She's sent her kid in today which I don't agree with 100%, but not my decision.

The announcement re shielding is utterly bizarre, the Govt are just throwing the dice & being reckless.

This is the most shocking announcement of all I think. The virus is more prevalent than it was when they were told to shield, there is no logic to this announcement whatsoever and they need calling out on it.

This whole situation is so troubling & I am very dubious of anyone saying they have a clear path out of this with any certainty.

I agree, I am more nervous about it than ever and I feel we are not learning anything from other countries who have had some good success with curtailing the spread. It's all very well to say there will be a public inquiry, but that is then and this is now.... how many will have to die before we (the royal we not we as in you and me) wake up and smell the coffee.

Down 8 points...from over 50%! Still comfortably over 40% after killing 60 thousand people and then giving the rest of us the finger. Literally the worst government ever, following hot on the heels of a succession of worst governments ever, each brought to you by a more repulsive iteration of the exact same party. With 4 and half years to make good the PR damage, redraw marginal boundaries, put in place the governance-by-data mechanisms to exploit the changes.

I don't know, if I were Cummings I'd be feeling pretty much vindicated.

On the other hand, if Cumming's personal star is waning, it's hard not to read the reckless undoing of the lockdown as a sign of it. Cummings was thought to be a lockdown dove. Are the Hawks are now taking the opportunity to "run this one hot", in Gove's words?

advertisement

Back