advertisement

Late night jazz - any pointers?

Bill Evans - Explorations
Bill Evans - Live at Shelly’s Manne-Hole
Bill Evans - Sunday at the village vanguard
Definitely live at the village vanguard; it is a live gig (or several live gigs, if you prefer) and it's complete with atmospheric crowd noises too, although no gunshots or sound of some hysterical broad, screaming. (Tell your wife how much your paid for your last phono stage if you want this effect).

If the box set seems overwhelming, just the Waltz for Debbie album will do. In fact, regardless of context, 99% of the time, Waltz for Debbie will be the correct answer to, what should I play?

Definitely live at the village vanguard; it is a live gig (or several live gigs, if you prefer) and it's complete with atmospheric crowd noises too, although no gunshots or sound of some hysterical broad, screaming. (Tell your wife how much your paid for your last phono stage if you want this effect).

If the box set seems overwhelming, just the Waltz for Debbie album will do. In fact, regardless of context, 99% of the time, Waltz for Debbie will be the correct answer to, what should I play?
I really like the Village Vanguard recording but I find the background chatter a little bit distracting. Bill Evans played on KoB two years earlier & people in the club can’t stop talking. I’ve been to the Vanguard so, conversely, it does bring back a few fond memories.

Stan Tracey - Starless and Bible Black
Grant Green - Idle Moments (good album too)
Edit:
Abdullah Ibrahim - Blues For a Hip King

This John Coltrane track from Expression, To Be, has been my late night mood intensifier for 50 years. Superb playing by Alice

Thanks for the continued suggestions. It’s been a pleasure listening through and discovering some new music.

To my ear, some of the tracks are slightly more ‘late at night with a nice whiskey and my stereo’ rather than having that Chandleresque touch of bitterness/weariness/melancholy/mystery. But it’s all very welcome.

For what it’s worth, the playlist now looks like this with the extra tracks that seemed to fit best:

Round Midnight - Miles Davis (Mono version)
Blue in Green - Miles Davis
Alone Together - Kenny Dorham
Harlem Nocturne - Illinois Jacquet
Idle Moments - Grant Green
Conciliation - Yazz Ahmed
Don’t Explain - Dexter Gordon
Where Are You? - Sonny Rollins
Goodbye Pork Pie Hat - Charles Mingus
Générique - Miles Davis
My Man’s Gone Now - Bill Evans Trio
Round Midnight - Thelonious Monk
In a Sentimental Mood - Duke Ellington/John Coltrane
Burn - Norah Jones (not suggested here, I just like it)
I’m a Fool to Want You - Dexter Gordon
You Don’t Know What Love Is - Sonny Rollins
Turiya & Ramakrishna - Alice Coltrane
The Man I Love - Ethan Iverson Quartet
Lonnie’s Lament - John Coltrane
Black Coffee - Peggy Lee
Starless & Bible Black - The Stan Tracey Quartet

So far that’s 3 hours or so of mostly new music, including some wonderful stuff. Result. Thanks again, folks.

Great playlist that. You are missing a bit of Billie Holiday & Johnny Hartman singing ‘Lush life’ would work very well.

Générique - Miles Davis

that's a great one! the album, which someone mentioned upthread, is in Europe called Ascenseur pour l'échafaud -- but here in the States it's called Jazz Track and includes some bonus content on the B side. (humble brag: I have an original 6-eye copy of this; have loved the album since I was a wee lad.)

you really can't go wrong with Ray Charles's "The Genius After Hours". i'd also check out Ahmad Jamal's "Live at the Pershing Square Club". it's... just totally fabulous. and the man is still touring and going strong deep in to his 80s!

For once, it seems I can actually make a recommendation myself, for anyone playing along. And a comparatively new track, at that.

Much of the rest of the album is a bit out there, but this track holds it together enough to fit the feeling.

advertisement

Back