advertisement

Thorens TD150 motor noise

Thanks for that Jacques,
I'd been thinking about the Valhalla for a while when thinking of putting the TD150 in a Linn plinth I got that needed refinishing, but only recently resurrected the idea of actually playing with the TD150.
Now I've heard the TD150 I'm going to get a proper plinth made for it instead of making a Linn/Thorens hybrid.
Although the Valhalla might be a goer (I might have to pick your brains a little Jacques).
The TD150 totally outclasses the Denon 2900 DVD player I've been using as a CD player (which I've always thought was pretty good).
Many many thanks for all the very useful advice.
Of the turntables I've had...I'm thinking this is the most musical...and i've had some good turntables!

The original TD150 plinth was thin chipboard and really not that well made. I've seen a TD150 in a Linn plinth, and it looked and sounded good. At one stage Linn changed the dimensions of the plinth, very slightly. I was sent some plans by Linn when I had a custom oak plinth made, and it was about 4mm narrower than my 1984 ish Afromosia plinth. I think the TD150 plinth is the narrower dimensions, but check.
I think a TD150 in a decent plinth, with a modern motor controller would be quite something, but I'm not going to get another Turntable now. I have my final turntable and I'm sticking with it.

WOW...those links are really useful, thanks ever so much jfs.
I think those links would be really useful to lots of Thorens owners.
Thank you very much again jfs.
Stuey

Pleased to be of service, the site has been going for many years, I've found it helpful and quite stimulating.

Its quite odd in that it starts up fine and is silent (it doesn't have much torque as it slows considerably when using a brush to clean a record), but then after around 5-10 minutes it develops a noise like something is a bit loose somewhere.
I dont think its the bearing as the noise sound like the motor.
Cheers

Got exact same problem. It was my fathers from 1967. Starts of quiet then after about 5 mins makes a noise. Swopped out the caps and resistor. Made no difference. So looks like it's something to do with the motor. As it heats up something happens. Don't know what. Could it be duff windings? Stress on the motor used to happen when dusting records. This would have caused the motor to slow, and pass more current. Could it be damage to the windings?

Well, I got my Singer light machine oil off ebay and tried to lube the top and bottom bearings from the outside.

It seemed to help matters slightly and the motor seems to run a bit longer before the noise comes back.
Whilst messing about with the plinth I noticed that if a slight amount of pressure is applied to the rim of the over-platter the noise subsides.
The motor is quite strong and the newer belt doesn't slip like the old one did.

I'm beginning to wonder if the fully synthetic engine oil I've filled the spindle bearing with is just a bit too slippery?
It a 0W-30 synthetic oil.
I've read that the Thorens forum website recommends 3in1 1/4hp electric engine oil as the preferred bearing oil (not the normal 3in1 oil mind you) which I think is 20W oil.

Has any one got an opinion on this?

The Hadcock has been sent off to be rewired. Still no reply from Russ Collinson though...I hope he's ok.

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest fitment of an adjustable motor thrust bearing. One can DIY, or try one of the many available via online auction.

These motors have sintered bronze sleeve bearings top and bottom; leaving the rotor assembly free to shift up/down a tiny amount, knocking on the end stop(s). This can be exaggerated by age/wear (increased free play due to lack of motor service), and/or imperfect motor/platter alignment, and/or imperfect belt tension; all three combined being highly likely, after all these years (and with aftermarket belts). A properly adjusted motor thrust bearing will use up this play without exerting too much force against the end stop.

Extra resistance to rotation, by applying drag to the rotating platter, for example, exerts extra lateral tension/tilt on the motor spindle (against both bearing sleeves), stiffening it against vertical travel; hence the temporary subsidence of noise whilst doing so. That the noise comes back after some minutes (post oiling top and bottom bearing sleeves) is also a tell, as the cold oil film resists, whereas the warm doesn't.

I have been looking at an SRM version that has a small ballbearing housed in a little brass housing, that attaches to the bottom of the bearing.

There is quite a bit of end play on the shaft.
The above explanation sounds pretty reasonable.
I don't have a pillar drill, so don't think I could open the motor up successfully, without doing some damage.
I thought it might have something to do with the oil becoming more viscous...I was just thinking it might be spindle bearing having an influence and not the motor bearing oil.

I'll have to get one of those SRM things ordered.
Many thanks for your input Craig.

Hi, Have you checked that the belt is not rubbing on the speed change lever, the belt runs through it , i had a td 160 which had this problem.
Regards, Peter

Hi Peter,
I've checked with the outer platter turned upside down and running, the belt appears to be pretty spot on central on the motor spindle and doesn't appear to be touching the belt.
If I move the speed change button I can get the lever to rub on the belt which does create a noise...I'm pretty certain its the motor making the noise...I just need to pull my finger out and order one of those SRM end bearing things.
I've put a wanted advert on the classifieds to see if theres a spare/replacement motor out there.
I feel its worth persevering with, as the music that comes from the TD150 is really pleasant...the arm has been sent to J7 to be rewired and hopefully fitted with a male cardas plug in its base so that a better tonearm cable can be used.
Stu

advertisement

Back