advertisement

Infected Cummings travelled around England with disease. Fire him now.

“second peak” I think refers to the WHO’s warnings of a global second wave pandemic which was discussed in their press briefing yesterday.

A second wave was going to happen, I think i was expecting it the moment people started going to the beach during a lockdown, having street parties, block parties and idiots refusing to wear ppe, not observing social distancing. The best I can do personally is stay away from the world, making stuff, lots of projects keeping myself busy but isolated until the virus has run its course.

It’s a shame it won’t have passed by October and that a lot more people are going to get sick, but that’s a consequence of ppl not taking this seriously.

It’s incredibly patronising that he thinks anyone will buy it. I suspect most won’t but most won’t care either.

This is the key statement in this thread in the last few days. The pfm Off Topic clique's politics are so far away from those of the general population that they fail to see that the outrage and hostility towards Cummings and Johnson over this will ebb away in a matter of days and a return to the apathetic status quo will endure. Face it, Cummings/Johnson have got away with it due to a mostly disinterested population and a largely complicit media. Yes the huffing and puffing will continue in here, but so what... it won't achieve anything.

While the regulars burst a blood vessel over criticism of the press' lack of social distancing it is things like this that allow the real issue to be lost in the crossfire... it does matter... we all need to obey the rules the media told us yesterday in their criticism of Cummings and yet.... it seems they don't apply to them either.

All in all a very British farce that will keep us firmly atop the laughing stock of the world league as well as the Coronavirus deaths per million population league!

Brexit made me embarrassed to be English, this makes me utterly ashamed!

if he’d said he’d had to go to BC to discuss vaccine production with GSK no one would have batted an eyelid.

Almost any other excuse than an ‘eye test’ would be more plausible!

It’s incredibly patronising that he thinks anyone will buy it. I suspect most won’t but most won’t care either.
I think you're right about the GSK thing, which makes me wonder (assuming that was his actual purpose in going to BC), whether there are aspects of that that nobody wants to come out, either. It's already been noted that the government seems to be handing out Covid-related contracts to mates like sweets. No competitive bidding process. Obviously, time is of the essence, but why not come out and say so? Something smells off.

Just caught the back end of an interview with vulcanised shitweasel Michael ‘treachery blackspot’ Gove on Kay Burley. I always knew he was a man of zero integrity, that was in no doubt, but he still always finds a way to outdo himself. Utterly beyond belief. How do things like this get elected? It is beyond me.

I like disruptors / change agents and generally find that those who express the greatest resistance to them are best removed from an organisation.

On a more general note, this is now simply a political and media witch hunt by those who dislike DC. He ain’t going anywhere folks. The only glint of light you have in a very long, pitch black tunnel is that a bunch of Tory MP’s have effectively signed their own death warrants (on the basis that most of you hate them as well).

I hope that journalists continue to persue the BC visit when the public eye has moved on.

I think there’s a story there worth the effort. Master manipulator Cummings makes up a pathetic lie as an excuse? I don’t buy it.

Stephen

I like disruptors / change agents and generally find that those who express the greatest resistance to them are best removed from an organisation.
Might have to agree to disagree on that. It is not a given that a) change is necessary, nor that b) the change brought about by disruptors will be effective or desirable. Any number of large corporations have reinvented themselves into oblivion.
On a more general note, this is now simply a political and media witch hunt by those who dislike DC. He ain’t going anywhere folks. The only glint of light you have in a very long, pitch black tunnel is that a bunch of Tory MP’s have effectively signed their own death warrants (on the basis that most of you hate them as well).
Can't agree. If their feet are not kept to the fire, the will get away with it, and will continue to behave as they please. We already have a disgracefully compliant media. But on the rare occasion they grow a pair, you want them to back off?

The foreign press is having a field day. Embarrassing.

I see that the Dutch PM hasn't seen his mother since the lockdown there, and she has now died (unrelated to Covid).

If Cummings' wife had Covid, why was she allowed to accompany the child to hospital in an ambulance?

Switched on the BBC's Breakfast show. Dan Walker was interviewing a journalist, I think, about Cummings and the fallout from yesterday's press conference. The journalist made clear that a lot of the public dislike Cummings immensely and think he should be sacked.

Walker went "Oh surely the country should move on?"

Cummings explained how his actions were reasonable yesterday, continued Walker, and public anger has been stoked up by the media.

Dan Walker is an embarassment for a so-called journalist. I get no sense of independence from him whatsoever.

I turned over to Sky News. Kay Burley was doing a piece on Cummings. She interviewed Alistair Campbell and let him vent. He ranted his dislike for Johnson and Cummings, how they are dangerous for the country during the pandemic. He flat out called them liars and said there is more to come in the story.

Burley picked Campbell up on one point - the article in The Spectator by Mary Wakefield, Cummings' wife, which implied they spent their time being sick in London during the lockdown.

Wakefield and Cummings both had articles published in The Spectator a month ago that failed to mention their trip to Durham. They have presented their inaccurate account to the public for quite a long time.

It is wise to remember Cummings refused to come to Parliament to answer questions last year. As Carole Cadwalladr pointed out in The Observer in September. https://www.theguardian

"Cummings is the man who – according to evidence published by the Electoral Commission – played a central role in a scheme that resulted in Vote Leave being judged to have broken the law. A scheme that constitutes the greatest electoral fraud perpetrated in Britain for more than a century – one that Cummings has refused to come before parliament to answer questions about."

Cummings is a dangerous man and should be forced to resign.

Jack
Alistair Campbell getting himself into a lather over lying aides and the erosion of trust in government is just too much! It's not even like his malign incompetence is a thing of the past, he was fully implicated in the exploding clown car that was the People's Vote campaign just a few short months ago. Literally nobody in the country better placed to speak from personal experience on the consequence-free life led by establishment figures. I wonder why Cummings shows absolutely no fear of the media!

Just to be sure I checked my old Highway Code last night and it doesn't say the official test eyesight test is a drive to Barnard Castle but simply being able to read a car number plate from 20 yards. That should come as a relief to any learner drivers.

You can be a disruptor without being a self-important, lying, arrogant areshole, which Cummings clearly is.
Maybe its a witch-hunt, not for political reasons, but because his behaviour is a poke in the eye to everyone in the country that followed the rules. Right and wrong is more important than political or media concerns, at least it should be.

I think you're right about the GSK thing, which makes me wonder (assuming that was his actual purpose in going to BC), whether there are aspects of that that nobody wants to come out, either. It's already been noted that the government seems to be handing out Covid-related contracts to mates like sweets. No competitive bidding process. Obviously, time is of the essence, but why not come out and say so? Something smells off.

I thought GSK were headquatered in Brentford, Barnard Castle has a large GSK pharma plant but it is not the headquarters, maybe he just wanted paracetamol. Conspiracy theories abound!

Does disruption extend to irresponsibly/wilfully spreading the virus? I was an Adman for 20 odd years,any fukwit can be a disruptor
You can be a disruptor without being a self-important, lying, arrogant areshole, which Cummings clearly is.
Maybe its a witch-hunt, not for political reasons, but because his behaviour is a poke in the eye to everyone in the country that followed the rules. Right and wrong is more important than political or media concerns, at least it should be.
Indeed, I've found the blase defences of Cummings here incredibly distasteful, Fishies have lost family to C-19, my late ex father in law was a true blue old Tory, the virus didn't care, condoning the actions of a 'pandemic disruptor' or smearing those with deep concerns, some born of family tragedy as 'moaning remainers' is really really fuc king offensive. I'd bet the effing farm(who says that???)there's probably some twisted satisfaction in upsetting people this way but this outbreak isn't over and it is indiscriminate.

This is the key statement in this thread in the last few days. The pfm Off Topic clique's politics are so far away from those of the general population that they fail to see that the outrage and hostility towards Cummings and Johnson over this will ebb away in a matter of days and a return to the apathetic status quo will endure. Face it, Cummings/Johnson have got away with it due to a mostly disinterested population and a largely complicit media. Yes the huffing and puffing will continue in here, but so what... it won't achieve anything.

While the regulars burst a blood vessel over criticism of the press' lack of social distancing it is things like this that allow the real issue to be lost in the crossfire... it does matter... we all need to obey the rules the media told us yesterday in their criticism of Cummings and yet.... it seems they don't apply to them either.

All in all a very British farce that will keep us firmly atop the laughing stock of the world league as well as the Coronavirus deaths per million population league!

That's it, shift the blame back onto the public and other forum members, where it really belongs!

Obviously change is a must but it needs to be initiated and maintained by people you can trust otherwise it becomes a much more stressful business. Agitating change is a different thing altogether.

From speaker cables to Brexit there is nothing said on here that will have any traction in the wider world, but it is a forum and we are free to participate, or notanot, in any discussion we choose, however futile.

The press is a giant boil that needs to be lanced. It comes from the top with ownership and cosy relationships with businesses and government , all the way down to irresponsible photographers.

Personally I could do without zoom shots of a bald man in tatty t shirt, I just don't see the need for it, especially now. However it shouldn't detract from the subject being discussed.

I share your dismay and embarrassment at our conduct and greatly diminished international reputation. Without holding the real levers of power all some of us can do is talk and protest.

advertisement

Back