advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched Hunters last week and it did seem like it was trying to fit into two camps that just didn't work together: serious drama and Tarantinoesque slick and sexy violence. I made it to the end and it was decent enough, but it could have been better. Just pick a genre and style and stick with it.

I got about half-way through. I found it bizarre the way it tried to slam comic book/super-hero stylisation with highly disturbing Holocaust content. My initial reaction was that was a truly repugnant idea, but the more I thought about it the more I couldn’t make my mind up, e.g. is it really any more sick than the typical Hollywood rape/sexual violence/serial killer, war or ‘terrorist’ fare? I honestly don’t know the answer, but good to see something pushing boundaries. I don’t expect American stuff to make me think, and this did to some degree if for no reason I genuinely don’t know if I liked or hated it. My fear is whilst it was clearly the usual American ‘cartoon good vs. cartoon evil’ thing, and was on the right side, it still trivialised the most grotesque far-right racist violence at a time it is becoming a very real threat again.

If you like a slower paced, western & Native American tinged yet modern sheriff style thing, then Longmire is an easy watch.
The usual mix of episodal events, longer running stories and plenty of character back story unfolding throughout.

I have watched the whole 10 episodes of White Lines. I must be masochistic and definitely deserve a medal, it was utter shite with some of the worst acting and preposterous plot lines I've seen in ages. Nice scenery though. Now my wife, she really does watch some rubbish, even she only managed to get half way through episode 1 which tells you all you need to know.

This year, like last, the best thing I've watched by a mile is Ozark. I've also enjoyed the latest Bosch and Goliath series on Prime too.

If you like a slower paced, western & Native American tinged yet modern sheriff style thing, then Longmire is an easy watch.
The usual mix of episodal events, longer running stories and plenty of character back story unfolding throughout.

Thanks, just looked it up, not on Netflix, it’s on Amazon Prime but not part of the subscription, Prime is very poor for that. Fancied giving it a try too.

(£17.99/season).

Pay extra?! Bow locks to that.

I think you are able to change your location in Netflix, choose USA or Aus. to watch without extra charge, details probably available online ;)

There are two shows on Prime that I specially want to watch, the latest series of Gomorrah and Berlin Babylon. Both of them were not included in the Prime membership and would cost quite a bit extra to watch both series. Sod that, I pay enough for everything else seemingly.

I watched Hunters last week and it did seem like it was trying to fit into two camps that just didn't work together: serious drama and Tarantinoesque slick and sexy violence. I made it to the end and it was decent enough, but it could have been better. Just pick a genre and style and stick with it.
Was ok. Pacino looks old and tired and he is hammy as a tin of Spam. His last great performance IMO was Insomnia, but that was long ago. Not bad in the Irishman but I suppose Scorsese’s helped to dampen his usual excesses.

I got about half-way through. I found it bizarre the way it tried to slam comic book/super-hero stylisation with highly disturbing Holocaust content. My initial reaction was that was a truly repugnant idea, but the more I thought about it the more I couldn’t make my mind up, e.g. is it really any more sick than the typical Hollywood rape/sexual violence/serial killer, war or ‘terrorist’ fare? I honestly don’t know the answer, but good to see something pushing boundaries. I don’t expect American stuff to make me think, and this did to some degree if for no reason I genuinely don’t know if I liked or hated it. My fear is whilst it was clearly the usual American ‘cartoon good vs. cartoon evil’ thing, and was on the right side, it still trivialised the most grotesque far-right racist violence at a time it is becoming a very real threat again.
Totally agree.
I thought it was appalling.

There are two shows on Prime that I specially want to watch, the latest series of Gomorrah and Berlin Babylon. Both of them were not included in the Prime membership and would cost quite a bit extra to watch both series. Sod that, I pay enough for everything else seemingly.
Gomorrah was free to air not so long since, last two series were amazing

Saw the 2014 film Whiplash last night. It’s about a young aspiring Jazz drummer and his tyrannical band conductor. It’s incredibly intense. The conductor is like the drill sgt in Full Metal Jacket. The drumming is great to see and hear too. Very much recommended.

Saw the 2014 film Whiplash last night. It’s about a young aspiring Jazz drummer and his tyrannical band conductor. It’s incredibly intense. The conductor is like the drill sgt in Full Metal Jacket. The drumming is great to see and hear too. Very much recommended.
Great film and great music and sound production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back