advertisement

Mini Disc....again.

I have one of the Sony portables and a load of discs in my French gaffe.
I have no broadband there.
It comes out once a year to give me some music connected to an old speaker system.
Never misses a beat.

^^^^^^^
Never met that one before!

I found the remote...

msJLyAV.jpg

Hooked out some easy grab discs...

OHQxd55.jpg

Oh, I also found the rechargeable batteries and PSU. The newer high capacity special dodaa battery had topped itself and bled out, the original Sony battery is still good, charged up and running!

I had one of those, but in electric blue! I never really took to MD as a format, though, and it saw very little use compared to my trusty Aiwa cassette player (one of the really thin ones with the lead-acid rechargeable battery).

I still have quite a few of them and 100's of discs . I think it was the colours of the discs that I liked. I used to have a walkman pro cassette ( mentioned on another thread here ) got rid of that quick. I think my favourite these days is the Sony MZ-B10. Takes 2 AA batteries, built in mic, MDLP and the speaker as good as many small trannies, optical in. A mini-deck in other words. When I got mine cost me just £50 or so now I see Ebay sellers offten want £200 or so ( good luck to that!)
73-100-609-01.jpg

I think it was intended as a dictophone. Sony brought out some solid state ones rendering these obsolete. Its the two AA batteries that means its still have a use. Also the large display is more typical of Sharp portables than Sony? The thing it lacks is a usb port & netmd to connect to a pc

I couldn't find the recent thread where someone said that MD units were unreliable and I reposted that I personally never had any problems.

I've also mentioned that of the many units I had only one portable remained, at the bottom of a dark box or drawer.

Today, I encountered said machine, a Sony MZ-R55 that was a tad grubby from storage, with a disc still inside. I didn't bother try the rechargeable battery and just went for the 2xAA add-on pod...
Instant success after ?years of inactivity. Ya see, reliable! :p
It has earned a clean up and the hooking out of the MD collection :D

I think I have the in-line remote stuffed in another place...

7Rtx7u5.jpg

I’ve never had any issues either... well apart from when some tit dropped a rack full of Crown Macrotech amplifiers on top of a Sony MD deck, can’t remember the model, but that one never worked again.:eek:

I found that I still have one of the early promotional pop disc from Sony. I think it one of a series of 4?

nMBQytk.jpg

In the small amount of other discs I dug out there were a quite a few that I have no other copy of and had even forgotten, such as Skunk Anansie "Paranoid & Sunburnt", still sounds good to me!

This is going back a few years, but IIRC you need an SCMS stripper.

I've actually got one here that I made 20-odd years ago, but no way of testing it, as I no longer have a recorder.
It was more of an academic question. It's interesting that you can get a SCMS stripper. I didn't know that.
Although convenient in some ways recording from the digital input can be a little restricting. For example there is no way of adjusting volume level. Radio 3 for example is quieter. Also, although editing is very effective on MD, you can't fade out or in with the digital input.
I have to resort to an analogue in, counterintuitvely, from digital sources converting to analogue.

It was more of an academic question. It's interesting that you can get a SCMS stripper. I didn't know that.
Although convenient in some ways recording from the digital input can be a little restricting. For example there is no way of adjusting volume level. Radio 3 for example is quieter. Also, although editing is very effective on MD, you can't fade out or in with the digital input.
I have to resort to an analogue in, counterintuitvely, from digital sources converting to analogue.

I am a bit puzzled at the need for a scms stripper. That surly wasnt typical as I copied many cds to minidisc, though thru Sonic Stage - but it is easy to remove the "can only copy 5" times is it, there, using the inbuilt capabilities of Sonic Stage. You can get the last and best version here
http://forums.sonyinsider.com/forum/15-minidisc/
also how to install on 64 bit windows

regarding fade in/out if you get a copy of Sony Sound forge Audio Studio ( 9 preferably, supports net minidisc on 32 bit pcs - not 64 bit) you can fade in/out and volume control in the digital domain & many other tricks, once imported onto a pc thru sonic stage and any copy protection removed.

I think it's easier to play cds on a cd player.

I find MD more useful for radio recording.
Or digitally recording Spotify.

No problem with SCMS with those sources.

What's your chosen method for recording Spotify to MD?
Saying that it looks like I left all my blank discs at the Spanish abode.

SCMS was mainly to prevent copies of a copy, the most popular method of multiple pirate copies in the day.

I used to love Minidisc, recorded many a prom and listened back. I stored them in Sonicstage. Then the computer’s motherboard expired, I replaced it but it then denied me access to my stored recordings. It always seemed a great format ruined by over zealous rights management. There were even some recordings of me and my quartet playing that were blocked. I farted around for ages trying to unblock them but had to give them up for dead. Such a shame that a flaw like that prevented the format being usable.

I used to love Minidisc, recorded many a prom and listened back. I stored them in Sonicstage. Then the computer’s motherboard expired, I replaced it but it then denied me access to my stored recordings. It always seemed a great format ruined by over zealous rights management. There were even some recordings of me and my quartet playing that were blocked. I farted around for ages trying to unblock them but had to give them up for dead. Such a shame that a flaw like that prevented the format being usable.
well you clearly never learnt how to remove the copy protection while the pc was working? it isnt hard. Then you could have moved the music files to any where else. You use the sonic stage conversion tool really meant for if i remember updating from an earlier version of sonic stage ( 2.0), but also allowed stripping the copyprotection from any atrac files you have, even produced by the current sonic stage....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aSE6Pf-5bFj7RF_DdEBr5hS35BrIoBzj

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1O_mA9VSAxg7OOvzKLsZ0Rszan_sk4hbG

by not ticking the add copy protection removes it from all scanned files, even non sonic stage 2.0 files!!! I doubt Sony intended this but they never changed it :) or maybe they did.....

Searched for ages for a solution! Tried all sorts and it never succeeded. It shouldn’t have been necessary for your own recordings from mics. I’m sure there was a thread in here about it at the time.

As Mercalia has pointed out, you shouldn't need a stripper for the first generation CD-MD copy. It should only be enforced on the next copy. But as others have already said, it had some quirks - I'm fairly sure my Sony recorders applied SCMS so that you could not make copies in the digital domain of original recordings that you had made yourself.

Agreed - if you need to make fades or "vocal cuts" (useful for taking out rap "contributions" to otherwise non-rap tracks) then it's easiest to copy it to PC and do the edits there. Though it's many years since I could be bothered with any of that!

Link didn't seem to go anywhere useful, couldn't find anything in their search either.
Any chance of clarification?
Thanks

for windows 10 64 bit how to and the software.

http://forums.sonyinsider.com/topic/29620-guide-to-getting-your-net-md-walkman-working-on-windows-10/
( or I might add windows 7 - windows 8/8.1 you need to turn of driver signing at an early boot phase)

sonic stage 4.3 ultimate & 64 bit driver at end of the how-to steps
The ultimate version removes links to eg Sony's music store

( or from earlier sources , maybe worth a read-

you have to register to get version 4.3 which has removed certain inks that now go noe where and also incl latest drivers
http://forums.sonyinsider.com/topic/26171-software-for-your-netmd-or-hi-md-minidisc-playerrecorder/

http://forums.sonyinsider.com/topic/26009-netmd-for-windows-7-64bit/
)

answer your questions?

I installed on 64 bit windows 8.1 rather than 10 and had to turn off driver signing as the 64 bit driver dont have a certificate. Was a long time ago , I dont think I had any problems once the 64 bit driver was installed

I dont think I did step 3 install all those drivers.

I think this is only for Sony MD - I know some Sharp needed their own drivers?

advertisement

Back