advertisement

Direct Line inviting lockdown low mileage partial refund requests

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
I just gave Direct Line my lockdown driving stats i.e. I'm currently driving 25 miles per week, to see if I'm eligible for a partial refund. The form is automated so I've no idea whether I'll receive a partial refund but it's worth applying just in case.

Click here to apply.

Fwiw, I've no idea if other insurance companies are doing likewise.

Great to hear other companies are doing it as well... and doing it better by the sounds of it :)

I just received $25 from my car insurer here in the US. Unfortunately I expect health insurance premiums will rise by over $1000 a year - more than my entire car insurance premium.

So, it talks about 'temporarily lowering the premium', but how does that work? Are they just issuing a blanket refund, and how are they monitoring it? We have our i3s with DL, the policy was under £300pa on a 10kpa mileage, and it's not moving any further than the supermarket and back once a week right now.

I keep thinking this is a dream- insurers voluntarily part-refunding premiums? RAC recovery wrote to me a year ago saying they had breached standards when they sent my renewal letter and I had a statutory right to cancel if I told them I had been misled by the letter. I used the opportunity to check the market, replied that I had been mislead and got same cover for 30% of what they had been charging me! But handing back cash unprompted- that’s a new one!

Has anyone cancelled annual travel insurance? We have an all risk (USA) worldwide joint policy that cost £330 in Dec. and we ain’t going to be using it never mind going to the USA to snowboard in Denver.

Admiral are doing it too, £25 per policy for cars and vans.

Hastings are supposed to be offering some discount as well but not got any details yet

Just got my latest credit card bill in only to find two payments to Hastings Direct for my bike insurance. I renewed and paid in full a week before it finished and Admiral have auto renewed it a day before it finished.

Tried to call them yesterday and after an hour got an answer from a lovely lady obviously working from home who apologised but was unable to help as due to staff shortages they had closed the bike insurance department.

How the computer didn’t flag up it was auto renewing an existing customer with a recently renewed policy I don’t know especially as none of the data has changed!

Next stop is credit card company I guess.

£25 is pathetic and presumably being offered before people realise the premiums should be reduced by 25-50%.
Of all the insurance companies I have dealt with over the years, Admiral have been the worst of the lot. Whether it’s their multi car con, their fees for additional drivers, their policy of blaming you rather than believing you that the other side were responsible or their uncompetitive renewal premiums.

Took about 3 weeks for direct line to put the £25 in my account following the email advising that they were going to send the money.

My view is that it’s not the insurers fault that we are driving less so I’m grateful for the refund.

I just checked my credit card and Direct Line have refunded me £10.08. I'm normally a low-mileage driver anyway, less than 3,000 miles per year, so getting anything back is a bonus.

£25 is pathetic and presumably being offered before people realise the premiums should be reduced by 25-50%.
Of all the insurance companies I have dealt with over the years, Admiral have been the worst of the lot. Whether it’s their multi car con, their fees for additional drivers, their policy of blaming you rather than believing you that the other side were responsible or their uncompetitive renewal premiums.
Not sure how you estimate a 50% reduction doc? I estimate that I’ll save maybe 2000 miles if working from home until July, which is about 20% of my annual mileage. My premiums are about £250 so £25 would be half what you might argue for, but I’m not sure I could say the risk/mileage ratio is constant. A nominal £25 seems easy to administer and broadly fair, given they are under no obligation.

Not sure how you estimate a 50% reduction doc? I estimate that I’ll save maybe 2000 miles if working from home until July, which is about 20% of my annual mileage. My premiums are about £250 so £25 would be half what you might argue for, but I’m not sure I could say the risk/mileage ratio is constant. A nominal £25 seems easy to administer and broadly fair, given they are under no obligation.
I did say 25-50%, but I can’t argue with your logic. £25 just sounds like a pittance.

advertisement

Back