advertisement

Any Artists here?

That is talent ...... in different styles too. Many artists are excellent in a particular style. This guy has many hairs to his brush!

Yes, he was amazing from a young age, makes it look effortless, can work in most mediums, etc.

The swine...

Technically excellent...I like his sketch books best, but the ability to reproduce so many varied styles in the 'commissions' bit is amazing. Hats off.

Collage is something I rarely do, but made collages with the G-Kids a while a go from magazines etc.

This is my quick effort - I use it as my avatar on pfm.

It is called Dog Kingdom 1, and shows the king of dogs being dismissive of all the culinary delights being graciously offered.

D5-A64-FBF-E96-C-417-A-A5-E6-71-E9-E5-ED179-B.jpg

Not so long ago I read 'Making Pictures' by David Hockney. Nice book until it turns into an eye-popping rave against photography.

His basic point that a painting has much more about it than a photograph is true, I think, but the artist has to be pretty damn good and you must go and see the original. Something somehow comes from the size or the lighting or the 3 dimensionality of the paint, the exact choice of colours. Print makers are absolutely useless.

I went to see an exhibition of Rembrandt's portraits. They're all life sized, head and shoulders only of one person with little to no background. Some genius had the idea of hanging them at head height in a circular room. The room was pretty packed but I kept seeing flashes out of the corner of my eye. I became convinced that there were more people in that room than the count of warm bodies. Rembrandt had captured those people so well that they came alive in my mind. Don't judge him by the big set pieces like the Night Watch.

I used to draw/sketch as a youg'un, mostly animals with a thing for ornithology for a few years.
For some reason I lost interest going I to my teens ( possibly bird watching taking a twist! ) and never returned to it.
My son also has a flare, liked to draw village scenes when small with surprising accuracy and realism for his then age. Now he's turned that to tattoo art.
I suppose my own preference, when looking at art, is for realism but some others do get a look in such as Dali and a few others.
Maybe I just prefer an obvious theme even if there is more intent by the artist.
For a lot of "modern art" I simply don't find it aesthetically engaging. I suppose it's a little like musical appreciation, you can have a very broad taste or a very narrow one, with everything in between.

Art is so hugely varied, just like the other arts...you really can't compare Boyzone to Mahler, and there's something for everybody.

Just like music, more complex works and more complex themes and concepts reward proper investigation. Not everyone can be bothered, which is their prerogative, but it has to be acknowledged that they are missing a lot of the point of the work by not bothering to investigate it, and also, that their subsequent comments are unlikely to be taken seriously by those who have made the effort and therefore understand what it is that they are looking at / listening to.

Art is so hugely varied, just like the other arts...you really can't compare Boyzone to Mahler, and there's something for everybody.

Just like music, more complex works and more complex themes and concepts reward proper investigation. Not everyone can be bothered, which is their prerogative, but it has to be acknowledged that they are missing a lot of the point of the work by not bothering to investigate it, and also, that their subsequent comments are unlikely to be taken seriously by those who have made the effort and therefore understand what it is that they are looking at / listening to.

Very well put.

We visit galleries and the like when we are on holiday. Seeing work in the flesh can be breathtaking. When I first saw a Van Gogh I burst into tears, it jumped off the wall, it was soo bright.

We visited the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao in 2015 (Spain) and they had an exhibition of Niki De Saint Phalle - we had never heard if her, but her work was original and way ahead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niki_de_Saint_Phalle

My mate Mr. Bray, with something he was working on.
Part way through (I nipped over and interrupted him) he likes bridges.

image from 2018

7-BB6-F4-B2-BABA-46-C5-9-B18-E25-E264-EB6-DD.jpg

I have (deliberately) forgotten my drawing efforts, as bi-polar/manic depression whatever it is called nowadays takes my mood away from things. If I remember, I will stick the progress up. I doubt I will ever finish the drawing now. I must have put 30 hours into it, maybe more. grrrr.

To the op, yes, I am an artist, would not waste my ideas on here, pointless looking for fame, not interested..

Thank you.

I’m poorly (not covid-related) and getting back to my old energy levels and I find it hard to type. (I asked for help typing this)
It’s an art meme that was set off by a bunch of furries who inadvertently gamed the right wing ‘bots fuelled by trending algorithms into revealing themselves. This was Claire’s contribution. Hope this clarifies.

Bot, punked... e pluribus unum.

EcdrCuwWoAA84I8

509-B2074-7-A40-4496-9-E8-D-DB65-FA987-A1-F.jpg

Hope is such a wide concept.

I know what a meme is, although I dislike the word intensely. It is unpleasant to say. Confession: I have just looked 'meme' up again, as I wasn't sure.
I thought it was an acronym for something. Turns out it isn't.

If folks are going to make words up, I wish they would be more creative. For a few years I thought meme was pronounced "me-me."

Claire, it has gone over my head I am afraid. You use terminology that I am not familiar with, e.g. 'SFW'
I know what a furrie is/furry fandom (on a basic level) but I have no interest in twitter. I followed a link and it was something about teeth, but there was too many words to read. (brain injury)

Then you put something which I guess is latin (?)

Unfortunately I am unable to understand. Too much jargon. I do not know what a bot is either.

Is the hyena image a manipulated photograph?

Reactions: vuk
EDIT: no this is all 100% original work on an iPad using Sketch and Procreate sometimes Mac and Wacom Tablet, when I copy for fun, I usually place the image side by side for comparison. Painting to a photograph is great practice. I don't have a lot of confidence so posts like Vuk's are deeply upsetting.

Thank you.

Done on an ipad. That I understand.

I don't have a lot of confidence so posts like Vuk's are deeply upsetting.

you misrepresented the work as mixed-media. i said it looked like digital filtering, which is fairly accurate in terms of describing what it looks like and actual methods used.

EDIT: now i see you are trying to back-pedal and re-write history.

advertisement

Back