advertisement

My most significant upgrades to my hifi system

Brand new Quad ESL57s in 1974. They lasted with me until 1988 when hard times came and I had to move into a bedsit. When advertised I got enquiries from Holland, but they had gone within a day to someone in Kent.

Quite a few years back I upgraded continually, from a Naim 5i through to EAR 890/864 combo, from a Dyno P75 on through to a Tron phono stage, DV10 cart to Koetsu Red, my lovely gyro to a SME 20/2, and my little Harbeth P3s to SHL5s. All the steps were an improvement to me at least. But in those days I was continually setting-up the system, moving speakers about until it all seemed perfect and so on. It was all a bit overkill looking back and though I definitely had amazing times listening to the music I was often dissatisfied with this or that.

Somewhere along the line I wisened up, and relaxed a bit. That might be because I'm at the stage now that a significant upgrade would now cost me silly money which I can't afford nor want to spend. But for whatever reason I can listen to and enjoy music much more easily without finding minor faults here or there. So, in terms of enjoying my system, I don't think it was necessarily any piece of kit that upgraded my appreciation or system, rather perhaps the exact opposite....

Probably mine would be changing my Royd Minstrels for Shahinian Arcs. Lots of things in common but just more of everything. I don't think an amp or source change has ever made such a vast difference.

My plan was to downsize and move my HIFI to a smaller room, rather than having it in the living room that I share with my wife, who for the most part does not share my taste in music or interest in HIFI.
However at the last moment I eyed a pair of used System Audio Pandion 30 floorstanders at the right price. I took a chance without an audition as I had to import them, but I have gone with System Audio speakers for the past 20 years and they always sounded excellent. Well the Pandion 30's have been my best upgrade by a distance. They just tick all the boxes.
Due to their size, the HIFI remains in the living room, but I can live with that.

advertisement

Back