advertisement

The one important record

just an idea

pfm Member
Anyone else have that one record they want their hifi to be good for? For me it's dark side of the moon, I don't even play it that much but everthing new I buy I wonder how that record will sound... Apparently Zu audio speakers were designed for it, so I bought them!, and something about the garrard 401 seems to fit for me. The next cartridge or amp manufacturer to mention dsotm wins my custom!

My CD of Steve Miller Band that includes the track Fly like an eagle. It has to sound right, relaxed and musical otherwise, the hi-fi gears are not worth it.

Anyone else have that one record they want their hifi to be good for? For me it's dark side of the moon, I don't even play it that much but everthing new I buy I wonder how that record will sound... Apparently Zu audio speakers were designed for it, so I bought them!, and something about the garrard 401 seems to fit for me. The next cartridge or amp manufacturer to mention dsotm wins my custom!

You need help.

DSOTM sounds wonderful through Arkless Electronics phono stages!

For me it's Paul Simon--Negotiations and Love Songs. For a less emotional test, Chesky Records Test Record Vol 1. Then: Track 3 from Peter Gabriel.. So ... followed by Track 4 Sledgehammer That said, I do like DSOTM

Thelonious Monk April in Paris on the 'Monk.' CD/LP with the black and white cover of him smoking. Kit has to make sense of his grunting, and foot tapping as well as his piano playing. A surprising amount of kit fails. Then some Tippett opera King Priam for image precision.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00006F1LG/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Haha, you could be right

Not as much as a guy I used to work with, his single ambition in life was to get every single version, pressing, format, reissue and variation, from every different territory, of DSOTM. Last time I saw him he had over 500 unique copies, and he reckoned he was only 25% there...

Talk about monomaniacal.

Brilliant, would love to know which is his favorite!

I don't actually find dsotm a good test record as sounds good what ever it's played on. The likes of iggy are a much better test, for me though its beefheart who really challenges my kit.

advertisement

Back