advertisement

Best Lou Reed album?

Arkless Electronics

Trade: Amp design and repairs.
Should be an open and shut thread really as there are obviously only 2 contenders (unless you include VU).

New York it is.... followed by Transformer. Berlin an honourable mention.

Now who's going to say Metal Machine Music? :D Or the Metallica one!:eek:

For me 'Magic and Loss'. Saw him with a small band in Manchester playing it. Superb and still brings a tear to my eye.

Transformer for me
Metal Machine Music is unlistenable, never got past the first few seconds

New York is brilliant, one of my favourite records. I can't say I think it's his best as I haven't heard all of them. (I realise that on an internet forum I shouldn't let that worry me and just state it as incontrovertible fact, but there you are.)

Metal Machine Music is good, particularly part 3. I often wonder how many people who slag it off have actually listened to it all the way through more than once. It's actually a mini tour-de-force of guitar feedback loops and samples.

As for the others mentioned, I like Berlin, don't like Transformer. Magic and Loss is one of those I haven't heard (if memory serves.) Is that the one with Like a Possum on it? I've never felt the need to search out the Metallica one.

PS Songs For Drella is brilliant too, if that is allowed.

Last edited:
The ones I have are Transformer, Berlin, Metal Machine Music, New York and Magic & Loss. I suspect that is all I want. I rate them all somewhat below the core Velvet Underground output, but I like them all so they remain in my collection. So, best Lou Reed album? Maybe Velvet Underground Live 69. That or Velvet Underground & Nico.

PS Agree with Marchbanks that MMM is good, actually very influential and ahead of its time, e.g. think Sunn O))), Merzbow etc.

Should be an open and shut thread really as there are obviously only 2 contenders (unless you include VU).

New York it is.... followed by Transformer. Berlin an honourable mention.

Now who's going to say Metal Machine Music? :D Or the Metallica one!:eek:
I' m Jez on this I would choose New York followed by Transformer as well.

I really like "Loaded" by VU too. Picked up a re-release about 20 years ago on cd that had a load of left out tracks and out-takes and that did it for me.

There are a lot of them that I think are good albums, but the one I love is New York.

I think Transformer is definitely the most iconic of his career, but not his clear-cut best... I can't really decide between the following: Transformer, Berlin, The Blue Mask, New York, Magic and Loss and Ecstasy. Whatever my mood on any given day I could choose any of those. I do have a soft spot for Ecstasy as I only saw him live for that album's tour plus it was around the time I fell in love with my now wife.

Ecstasy, I think. I'll have to play it loud tomorrow just to check.

I have not heard that one, but I enjoy its predecessor "Set The Twilight Reeling", especially the overtly political material. What's it like? Is it the "avuncular" Lou, or the "difficult" Lou?

advertisement

Back