advertisement

Digital solution

How much is roon these days? I was kind of hoping to avoid yet another monthly subscription, especially considering digital is mainly background music and for testing new artists etc.

Smart phone or tablet, usb cable to DAC, run the apps, I do this with an old iPad to DAC in my garage and study. Does Tidal, VLC for my NAS, virgin and Radio paradise.. why do people try and make streaming so difficult.

No thanks a small, cheap PC is more than up to the task.

@Whaleblue do I still need to use the Chromecast with that? I was hoping to hit it with a hammer and launch it out the window.

I'm just after a cheap and simple way of sending Tidal to my DAC without having to use the Chromecast.

Roon works properly with the Chromecast, unlike the Tidal app. I used a Chromecast as my only Roon endpoint for nearly a year, outputting it’s signal into a DAC via optical.

I think Roon is about £10 a month, or possibly the Lifetime sub is still available.

Smart phone or tablet, usb cable to DAC, run the apps, I do this with an old iPad to DAC in my garage and study. Does Tidal, VLC for my NAS, virgin and Radio paradise.. why do people try and make streaming so difficult.

But you're tethered to the DAC then, so when I'm cooking or washing pots I can't just change albums etc.

To be honest the Pi looks like my best option so I reckon I will give that a try.

@matt j , the simplest Roon setup would be the Roon core PC connected direct to your DAC. Obviously (?) controlled from your phone/pad using the Roon app.

Roon is very good and I used it for a couple of years. I would try the Pi first with piCoreplayer and if you like it stick with it for a while to get to know it’s flexibility and plug in opportunities. If you then feel an urge to explore, convert your set up to Ropieee and then get a trial for Roon.

I've got my chromecast via ethernet and it's rock solid. If you are after a simple fix to end the frustration that is the first step.

If you want to improve the sound quality too then Pi/Allo Digione and LMS is a sound but still minimal investment.

Thereafter it's about plug and play solutions, crisp shiny boxes ..i get the appeal but would rather spend dosh on better speakers/amps/DACs.

I've got my chromecast via ethernet and it's rock solid. If you are after a simple fix to end the frustration that is the first step.

If you want to improve the sound quality too then Pi/Allo Digione and LMS is a sound but still minimal investment.

Thereafter it's about plug and play solutions, crisp shiny boxes ..i get the appeal but would rather spend dosh on better speakers/amps/DACs.
Hi Moppit,
Can I ask about the Allo. What did you use before and how did this hat change the sound?

I’m thinking of going Pi route to remove the lap top from my system, will be interested to see how you get on. Darko has a good video on his site that explains how it works.

cheers BB

I’m thinking of going Pi route to remove the lap top from my system, will be interested to see how you get on. Darko has a good video on his site that explains how it works.

cheers BB
The beauty of the Pi system is that you can get into it for as little as £40 (Pi 3b+ and MicroSD card) and have full functionality via USB. If you get on with it, then you can think about investing a little more to improve the sound quality (if you think it needs improving) by adding a HAT to give you Coax Digital out or TosLink etc...

This is the beauty of it...a hidden gem for many. USB is great anyway. Hat was no better IMO. If you have or can get a Squeezebox Touch, just as good IMO and when it finally bites the dust( still going strong) you can move to a Touch emulator in the form of the venerable Pi. I was hoping Pi 4 would increase the pleasure but apparently not. 3 B seems to be the sweet spot at this time.

This is the beauty of it...a hidden gem for many. USB is great anyway. Hat was no better IMO. If you have or can get a Squeezebox Touch, just as good IMO and when it finally bites the dust( still going strong) you can move to a Touch emulator in the form of the venerable Pi. I was hoping Pi 4 would increase the pleasure but apparently not. 3 B seems to be the sweet spot at this time.
Allo sounds interesting though.

I'd like to try a Pi with a digione hat but get the impression that using Tidal or Qobuz with it is not straightforward.
Any advice would be welcome.

Allo sounds interesting though.
I'm not the best at describing the difference between one piece of kit to another, which is why I tend not to... I don't make A/B comparisons either, but... When I had the HiFiBerry Digi+ HAT, I thought it sounded great, but was intrigued by the universal acclaim of the Allo DigiOne. Once I'd decided that the Pi was going to be my 'forever steamer' I stumped for the DigiOne (I might've even gone for the Signature had anywhere had them in stock at the time.) After installing the DigiOne I did think it sounded 'better', but that could've been 'new hifi syndrome' - but what is perhaps more significant; I found that I no longer bothered with my CD transport - at all. This little Allo/Pi combo sounded that good. I also found that I was more than content to listen to it in favour of messing around with Vinyl - that was unexpected. The 1000x more expensive Vinyl setup does sound better - or at least different. Slightly more texture on instruments perhaps, but I'm very happy just playing my ripped CD collection though the Pi with the Allo, where I was less-so with the previous HAT. I certainly have no regrets spending the extra money.

advertisement

Back