advertisement

Replace brass terminal bridge on speakers

If you have 'upgraded' the cable between the binding posts and not from the crossover to the driver(s) then what's the point?

Just use the supplied links and spend the money on a couple of albums....

If you've upgraded your cartridge but not the tone-arm wiring what's the point? I could go on...

I just tried it mainly from the point of view that (a) I do find the bridging plates skittish and (b) some have said it makes a marginal improvement.No harm in testing this.

If the links are made of brass then this is not as good a conductor as silver, copper or gold. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc with a few other elements thrown in like lead etc, so it is nowhere near as good as pure copper for making an electrical connection. I have heard improvements to the fidelity when going from brass speaker connections to copper connections. Then an even further level of fidelity when going from copper to silver connectors...

If the links are made of brass then this is not as good a conductor as silver, copper or gold. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc with a few other elements thrown in like lead etc, so it is nowhere near as good as pure copper for making an electrical connection. I have heard improvements to the fidelity when going from brass speaker connections to copper connections. Then an even further level of fidelity when going from copper to silver connectors...
They are brass.

Agree with this. Not sure of the numbers re brass vs gold on conductivity, but IIRC gold is a relatively poor conductor compared to copper or silver. Gold plated connectors are done for corrosion resistance rather than conductivity. In a head to head, I tend to prefer rhodium plated to gold plated, but I know many would disagree, finding rhodium a bit harsh. I think it is rather (somewhat ironically) that gold is a bit dull.

Reactions: GT
But did it make a difference to the sound?
Yes, I have done this many times and it makes the sound between the high and low frequencies sound more integrated if using the same cable as a jumper and more depth and texture to the high frequencies.... imo of course....

advertisement

Back