advertisement

How good or otherwise is an original Roksan Xerxes with original psu and Rega RB300 arm

By the way,

I had the recent opportunity to hear the top of the line full Linn analog kit.
Sounded very good but worth upwards of forty grand US.
I am not sure if it is worth that.
Even got to see it in all its glory while is was being assembled.

Kept seeing things that looked like my Xerxes.
Platter assembly,belt Etc.

I over spoke about the Palmer.
I see now it has been written about on this form.
Looks like production has been halted.
Interesting tid bit is that the expert on this turntable here in the USA was exactly the person who was known for the Xerxes mounting bracket fix and the person I drove all the way to have my deck serviced by.

Small world.

The other issue that I had with mine, was it came fitted with a Rega RB300 and that is what was written on the box too; i.e. it was supplied from new fitted with the Rega. I mentioned earlier, that at Roksan's request, I sent it to them so they could fix the sagging plinth issue and service the PSU. When the deck came back, the arm was so loose, that it was surprising that it hadn't fallen off in transit! I took a look and found that the cut out for the arm wouldn't fully accommodate the pillar nut. Roksan tried to get out of it by saying the Rega arm wasn't supplied as standard on their deck, even though it was clearly marked on the box! Totally unbelievable!

The Rega would have been fitted by the dealer, who should have used the longer fixing nut.

Now you sir, have my respect! Loved my Roksan... oh the pain and it, with all my lovely records, gone forever.... The TMS..... a thing of beauty.
Prey do tell sir ,what of the Vertere and it's beguiling beauty. Please do tell us how it sounds.....
Vertere RG1 end game for me in TTs

Well, I have been reading, Mr Touraj Moghaddam's latest turntable offering. MG1 MK11 Mystic. It is clear to see the origin of his design, from the humble Xerxes, through the 20, and TMS design.
It has become prettier on the eye, now in mettalic black, champagne, and Pearlescent white. Still, probably not everyone's work of art.
I have to respect the thoroughness of his design, it has it's own tonearm and now cartridge, which have to be expensive to produce. Also their own phono stage.
When you think how long it takes for most turntable manufacturers to come up with a comprehensive package of components throughout the turntable chain, it is astonishing really.
Anyway I am in the without, turntable position currently, and as an owner of his original Xerxes way "back to the future", yes I was around when it came out, both turntable and the film...... I feel the urge to give it a listen!

Last edited:
Like many I bought a Darth Vader black Xerxes with RB300 in the mid '80s after an audition at the Cornflake Shop (thanks Steve) (and Sound Org for the LP12 comparison). Can't remember the cartridge. Later changed to the Artemiz and Shiraz. Not sure how much of an improvement the Artemiz really was. Had minor plinth sag and hot PSU but it kept working great. I'd still have it if it wasn't for a great deal on a 20+ that came up in 2013. Now have the Naim Aro (a big step up), Shiraz and Vertere's PSU (the cheaper one) and loving the sound. Can't see myself ever changing (although I'd be tempted by Funk Firm's FX3 tonearm). Mind you, Touraj's comment to me when he was here in Vancovuer last year about the superiority of the current (24 pole?) motors in Vertere turntables got me thinking. The first thing I'd buy after winning the lottery would be a Vertere RG-1!

Last edited:
Well that is a very top end turntable you own there echann.
I think its great that Vertere's PSU works with your 20+. Interesting that you favoured it over Roksans own PSU and phono which is excellent too.
I know the Aro works very well with the 20+. Heard the combination a lot as a friend has it.
I will give the MG MK11 a listen and see if it follows his signature sound, majoring on detail and dynamics. I wouldn't feel the need to go further than this.
It feels like Touraj takes the Xerxes sound and develops it.
Although I certainly wouldn't change if I had the 20+.
They now have their own cartridge, choice of tonearms and phono stage, Psu as you know.
It's a funny thing how we tend to like what a certain turntable does, perhaps more so than any other component in the audio chain.
We tend to swap out speakers and amplifiers like old clothes, but we defend our choice of turntable to the last breathe.
In a way I am glad I don't currently have one, as I have yet to hear a table that makes me want to part with my cash.
Let's see how that goes shall we.....

By the way,

I had the recent opportunity to hear the top of the line full Linn analog kit.
Sounded very good but worth upwards of forty grand US.
I am not sure if it is worth that.
Even got to see it in all its glory while is was being assembled.

Kept seeing things that looked like my Xerxes.
Platter assembly,belt Etc.

I over spoke about the Palmer.
I see now it has been written about on this form.
Looks like production has been halted.
Interesting tid bit is that the expert on this turntable here in the USA was exactly the person who was known for the Xerxes mounting bracket fix and the person I drove all the way to have my deck serviced by.

Small world.

Hello,

cabin fever was starting to set in.
I decided to put my old floor standing AE speakers into my analog system with my Xerxes.
Thought these speakers would not work well in my smaller room.
I am surprised how wonderful they are sounding.
Used them for many years with a Pioneer AV receiver.
Then I purchased a Krell amplifier and processor.
Could not believe how much better the speakers sounded.
Had an audio reviewer over for listen.
He was quite impressed.

I must confess,
I have not heard my Xerxes in some time.
It is sounding quite wonderful.
Excellent timing and pitch.
Mid range sounds warm and natural.
Not the last word in Low bass but at this point in time,
I would not even think of getting rid of it.

As I have said before,
this is definitely not for the faint of heart.
Not plug an play.
I would not recommend it to anyone purchasing used.

Must say,
I am still quite pleased by the SQ.
I had tears rolling down my face when I fist listened to it the other day

Still wonder what it might sound like with a proper unipivot tonearm.

But I still can not accept the pricing for a tiny vial of oil that only contains few drops.

Cheers

I had my original Xerxes (with Tabriz arm) modded by Inspire HiFi with total new plinths using original mechanicals ans motor. The original PSU was struggling on start up so Robert Isherwood (proprietor) advised on a new XPS7 power supply. Great improvement even sticking with Goldring 1012GX cartridge.
After a house move all my kit was in storage for a couple of years but on setting everything up again I was pleased to find all still sounded good. New Spendor A4 speakers lifted the game but then I lost 45rpm on the Xerxes. Superb Roksan customer service repleaced the XPS7 with a new XPS8 FOC despite being officially out of warranty. Add in Hana ML cartridge and WOW!!!! The pace, drive, bass lines, drum tone and placement on another level totally from anything I have experienced in my system’s before. Robert did say the RT mod would match anything south of £5k, and a reviewer said the cartridge was a £3k-£5k cartridge for £1k, I tend to believe them! Amp is an ageing MF E200/300 pre/power but an audition against latest Naim for £3.5k it held its own rather well.

I remember a chap (Xavier Wilcox ?) visiting the hifi shop I used to work at back in 1987/88 armed with a Xerxes.

Was a black one with a RB300 and an Audio Technica ATF5.

It sounded superb, and our best deck back then was the Manticore Mantra, so took on the Brand and sold quite a few of them iirc.

We ended up having two demo decks. A black one with Moth (RB250) and a walnut one fitted with a Zeta Tonearm.

I couldn't afford a Xerxes at the time (think it was 545 retail) even at trade price, so ended up buying a used Original Pink Triangle deck from a guy in London to replace the Rega 3 which was my first turntable.

Was it just me.But could anyone else hear any difference with the removable center spindle removed ?
I certainly couldn't.
Maybe with a maxed out Xerxes - Artemiz - Shiaz - Artazerxes you could.
Also looking back buying a very early Xerxes,I think it was only available in black with black lid.
It was a very depressing looking piece of kit.
At least with a LP12 in black you had the clear Linn lid at that era in time.But all that black it was like having Darth Vader in the lounge.
It certainly had some radical new ideas like the motor suspended on springs.Something they adopted on the Darius Loudspeakers in those caged stands.With the tweeters hung from the cabinets on the springs.
My mate who was Roksans UK sales manager at the time had a pair of Darius back in 1988 - 1990 and his Mrs resented them from a looks point - Big time.System sounded pretty good though.Maxed out Xerxes and a Bryston 12B preamp and 4B power amp.
Roksan had started importing Bryston back then for a year or 2,then PMC took over the agency.

If it’s not imagination, I found the difference in removing the spindle is in the stereo image. With the spindle present there is a more central soundstage and it seems wider if removed. I could well believe some people would prefer one over the other depending on your system and personal preference. I also prefer removing the dust lid on the player as this seems to reap subtle improvements also.

Still have my mark 1 Xerxes, hardly any sag, Artemiz arm, works very nicely :)

Tim
I still have my Xerxes(minimal sag). Upgraded blobs/motor shaft glued back on/Origin Live-Mat,Enabler & Gravity One/RB300 down force spring at 3gm and rear weight set to 1.9gms for my Nagaoka MP-200. Sits on sorbothane feet on an old Sound Organisation Table and it sounds blooming great!

ah a thread I had forgotten about. Did any one have the tripod table? I was lucky to pick one up mint going for song way back when a dealer was leaving the brand. I have always wondered how important the stand is. Looks good though whatever else. I still have the original psu - I had the sense to take the top of. The only thing I have done recently was to secure the large white resistors, thaty get very hot, that were pulling away from the circuit board. Oh as I said in another thread I got the wiring wrong in reconnecting as it ran backwards - that was down to me following an image I found on the internet that had the wiring different to mine. I was told by the new Roksan owners that that was typical of the people in the day making changes on the fly....
I would be curious to know how many people still use the the original Xerxes

I've got the tall Tripod table here somewhere, but not had a Xerxes for years.

I'll get another one day though.!

ah a thread I had forgotten about. Did any one have the tripod table? I was lucky to pick one up mint going for song way back when a dealer was leaving the brand. I have always wondered how important the stand is. Looks good though whatever else. I still have the original psu - I had the sense to take the top of. The only thing I have done recently was to secure the large white resistors, thaty get very hot, that were pulling away from the circuit board. Oh as I said in another thread I got the wiring wrong in reconnecting as it ran backwards - that was down to me following an image I found on the internet that had the wiring different to mine. I was told by the new Roksan owners that that was typical of the people in the day making changes on the fly....
I would be curious to know how many people still use the the original Xerxes
The stand is important to the sound. I have an old Sound Organisation Table. Many moons ago HI-FI News magazine brought out a harder more dense shelf for the SO Table. The Xerses became even tighter and faster sounding, using it. This lead me to drill holes in the SO shelf support brackets and insert sharpened bolts into the underside of the Xerxes-very handy for adjusting the deck itself from underneath. Again much the same “change” as above. After a long period I felt the sound was a little fatiguing and resorted to putting the HFN shelf on the spiked bolts and then reverted to using the shelf’s brackets again. It depends how you like your sound. Colder/Harder/Faster or more warmth. Isolation seems to be the thing of the day now and I have now put sorbithane feet under my deck as I came to the conclusion I was enjoying false excitement from resonances/vibrations. Hi-Fi can be a confusing world and so it’s a case of what sounds best to you.

advertisement

Back