advertisement

Music server v dedicated CD player

philiphifi

pfm Member
hi

could I ask if anyone is using a decent music server Naim HDX, Melco. How do they sound compared to a dedicated decent CD player (Mark levinson, Wadia or Audio research). I know there are differences between the makes and I am ok with that. My question is if I am buying a music server only to find that it sounds like a £500 CD player then there is no point.

thanks alot

Philip

1 and 0s are the same where ever u read them.

whether or not it sounds like a £500 CD player depends on how that digital information is converted to an analogue signal for your amp to amplify.

Obviously I can’t answer your question as I clearly don’t use one. I use a network drive and Dacs

They are both relative in terms of quality, it depends what ur spending and like CD players there are a few gems which are better value for money and some that are overpriced for what u get
Personally I prefer a really good streamer and separate dac, but then some prefer a separate transport and dac to an all in one CD player
What sort of ball park figure are u considering if u felt the investment a worthwhile one?

1 and 0s are the same where ever u read them.

whether or not it sounds like a £500 CD player depends on how that digital information is converted to an analogue signal for your amp to amplify.

At the risk of expanding the question even further, there is the extra consideration of the CD having encoded the music at 16 bit 44.1kHz and so you are comparing only part of what a digital streaming solution can offer?

I have lots of CDs and I have digitally copied them to my music server, all at 16/44.1. I don't have a CD player to compare but I think playing those 16/44.1 files is all about the DAC as others have said. In my case I have an Auralic Altair with an SSD installed internally, 'playing' out to my Naim SN2 - I tried 3 different DACs before ending up with the Altair.

But, and this is the difference with the CD player, I also have Roon and Qobuz so nearly all of the music I listen to is actually 24 bit 96kHZ (24/96). This brings in the consideration of listening to 16/44.1 (CD) versus 24/96 - I realise that is a whole new area that has been discussed many times, but it might form part of your thinking? With the "streaming" solution you could try both? With the CD hardware only you can't?

All of my equipment sounds different.The turntable has detail, a wide soundstage and a warmish bloom. My CD player has an analogue like sound with a wide soundstage, detail and also a little warmth.My tuner has a warm, luxuriant wrap around sound that is very agreeable.My streaming solution has a detailed but airy sound. They are all equally valid and I like them all equally. The streaming sound is the equal of my CD player but the sounds aren’t really comparable as they present differently, if you see what I mean. This is likely the Dac as my streaming solution uses an external Dac and my CD player uses its own internal Dac. I try not to worry about whether streaming sounds better anymore.I’ve learned to enjoy them for what they are. It’s also a lot to do with the source and production of the recording so unless you have the money or will to select the very best pressings or recordings for each format then just listen to and enjoy what you have. If you can’t then you’re in for a deal of angst.

hi

could I ask if anyone is using a decent music server Naim HDX, Melco. How do they sound compared to a dedicated decent CD player (Mark levinson, Wadia or Audio research). I know there are differences between the makes and I am ok with that. My question is if I am buying a music server only to find that it sounds like a £500 CD player then there is no point.

thanks alot

Philip

I have asked this question to many owners who gave glowing reviews of their latest streamers as I am in a similar position to you regarding which direction next to travel.

To answer you first question regarding matching a "Decent" player and the answer is no from what I can gather, high end CD players still have the edge in the majority of personal systems but that gap is closing because of a couple of reasons including Hi res capabilities and product evolution.Your comment "there is no point" then answers that as your main goal is from a sound quality perspective.

If on the other hand you want to open to the world of High res music / streaming and exploring different artists then streaming is the way to go if you have the Computer skills to go there which many people do not. (myself included and I have tried), be warned that many of these streamers live and die by their apps/interfaces .

My advice would be to get a high end DAC that can be used with a CD Transport and streamer and then make your choice based on Sound quality / convenience of if you can live with it both.

thank you gents. I have an ipod which I play through a Wadia 170i. The sound quality is fine but I often find that iTunes does not download the cd info for classical music properly and I ended up having to type in the details which I neither have the time nor the patience. This is why I am enquiring about a music server so that at least I could stick the CD in and have it done automatically.

I've been 100% server based (ripped CDs from 1988-2011) for 10+ years now. Once you get it right theirs no going back. haven't bought a CD since 2011/2012.

I'd look at getting the very best DAC you can and adding a streaming solution to it. My now preferred choice of streamer is a raspberry Pi with Allo DigiOne hat. (an extra £100 or so on top will get you the DigiOne Signature, which is even better according to those who have it) Previously, I always found that CD sounded better than its ripped counterpart, but since I've acquired the Pi, I've not played a CD.

... yeh, that Linn have a history of making bullshit marketing proclamations to support their sales targets.

I think the OP will find there's more difference between a levinson cd player and an Audio research one as there is between almost any other possible digital source choice.

Modern digital is a done deal, pick the item with the feature set, looks and price that suits. They all sound similar.

I have asked this question to many owners who gave glowing reviews of their latest streamers as I am in a similar position to you regarding which direction next to travel.

To answer you first question regarding matching a "Decent" player and the answer is no from what I can gather, high end CD players still have the edge in the majority of personal systems but that gap is closing because of a couple of reasons including Hi res capabilities and product evolution.Your comment "there is no point" then answers that as your main goal is from a sound quality perspective.

If on the other hand you want to open to the world of High res music / streaming and exploring different artists then streaming is the way to go if you have the Computer skills to go there which many people do not. (myself included and I have tried), be warned that many of these streamers live and die by their apps/interfaces .

My advice would be to get a high end DAC that can be used with a CD Transport and streamer and then make your choice based on Sound quality / convenience of if you can live with it both.
That’s the choice you have. I’m lucky in that I’ve taken up and become proficient at using laptops and Pi’s as servers/players. I don’t know how to code but you don’t need to know really.Its all out there.

For a long time I have used a server + pc-streamer + external DAC for my ripped files. If I ever buy another CD-player, I will use it a transport through my Line Magnetic DAC or the one I buy will double as a CD-player and DAC and replace my LM 502CA DAC. Not very likely as I like what I have and any spare change for hifi is not available any longer.

I have a DAC where I can flick between a valve-coloured SS output stage or a straight SS output stage. I like the coloured version better. Similarly, I firmly believe that the construction principles and the implementation of a DAC will affect the way it sounds.

The only "extras" I use, is a a Paul Pang usb splitter - splits signal away from usb power to allow for external psu powering of the Nuforce USB to Spdif (coax) converter. I use a linear psu to power the USB to Spdif converter. I think i hear a difference for the better between this set-up and simply running a usb cable from my pc to the DAC.

My biggest jump in play-back quality from my files was the use of J-River "memory" playback and (possibly) "kernel streaming".

I have never heard a network/ streaming solution getting anywhere near a good cd transport dac combo.

Bit rates do not make music.
I’ve heard it in several systems. The technology and delivery has developed massively over the time it’s been going. Many just use streamers now and have ditched other players or relegated them to occasional use. I remember when I first purchased the Squeezebox Touch and attached it to my external Dac. I was really surprised by the quality and it became my go to especially as services upped their resolution game. I still enjoy vinyl and my hard earned collection of classical CDs but don’t feel I miss anything moving between the formats. Though they are different sounds they are equally enjoyable and engaging.

A Rotel 965 BX though I thought my previous player, the Rega Apollo was also within that sphere.The Saturn is even nicer but not got the pennies for that. The Rotel needs to be played using its own very nice internal Dac. It also has an excellent transport. You must also take into account the rest of your system, of course.

advertisement

Back