advertisement

Kamado bbq opinions?

I wouldn't be so confident. That thread is 2 years old and Aldi change suppliers and specs like the tide. By now it could be made in a different country and half the size. Just check what you are getting.
I was going by the fact that thread started two years ago, then faded away and revived in April last year when the BBQs reappeared. And that the BBQ in this year’s Aldi ad looks the same as the one linked to in the first page of the woodburners thread in 2018. Even the location seems the same. Although the fence seems to have lost two of its slats, which is odd. You may well be right, of course. Fortunately I don’t even want one, so it’s not something I have to be concerned about!

Dunno if this is currently serving as an all purpose bbq thread but......

I was bought a generic water smoker for xmas and fired it up for the first time today.

There appears to be a flaw in the design in that there is no holes in tbe bottom for air to get in under the charcoal and there is no basket, which means the charcoal also gets choked in ash - which means the damn thing just cannot get hot enough to cook on.

It was a gift, so I'd like to get it working if possible.

Anyone bodged one of these to get good results or should I just get the Weber one?

I was going by the fact that thread started two years ago, then faded away and revived in April last year when the BBQs reappeared. And that the BBQ in this year’s Aldi ad looks the same as the one linked to in the first page of the woodburners thread in 2018. Even the location seems the same. Although the fence seems to have lost two of its slats, which is odd. You may well be right, of course. Fortunately I don’t even want one, so it’s not something I have to be concerned about!
“Which?” Has just reviewed the latest Aldi one and given it the thumbs' up.

“Which?” Has just reviewed the latest Aldi one and given it the thumbs' up.
That's good enough, bag one. My only concern with Aldi is that they change suppliers and specs like I do my underpants. What was great 6 or 12 months ago can be crap and vice versa, so you need a current review. This applies to their day in day out food items just as much as the aisle of unnecessary purchase.

Both our kids went vegetarian a couple of years ago. And we have also reduced meat eating.
Very few bbqs these days.

I pulled the trigger on the Aldi one yester so thanks for the which thumbs up, that's good to see. The price, 349 is excellent value.

I pulled the trigger on the Aldi one yesterday. The price, 349 is excellent value.
Great, I’d be interested in your thoughts on it.
It seems to me that the differences between the pricey ones like the green egg & KamadoJoe for instance, compared to the cheaper ones are in the details, such as the quality of the gasket & lid hinge for example.
With the Aldi one, I would unpack it very carefully to inspect for any damage to the paintwork finish etc as maybe the customer support would not be as good as that from the premium brands.
But £350 is a fantastic deal. Enjoy!

Thanks @manicatel I'm looking forward to receiving it though have clicked through one of the links above (to the woodsmoke forum) I'm a little nervous as to what I might receive. Certainly quality control appears to be an issue for a number of people who bought last year so rest-assured, I'll be unpacking and inspecting it thoroughly.

I've put an order in elsewhere for some decent charcoal so just need it to be delivered, be in decent condition and the sun to come back :)

I guess at that price, if it had very minor defects such as on the metal stand, or something that doesn’t affect the operation of it, I could put up with that.
But fingers crossed for you that everything is as it should be, the sun will return & the charcoal will be lit very soon!

My Costco ceramic bbq arrives tomorrow, quicker than the bags of lump wood charcoal I ordered at the same time although from a different supplier. I now have to work out how I can deal with the 100kg weight.

Also, that despite its considerable weight, as I understand it, the ceramic lining is fairly easily damaged, so I would suggest deciding where to site it in advance & not moving it unless really necessary.
Hope you have a dry day to have a play with it!

Also, that despite its considerable weight, as I understand it, the ceramic lining is fairly easily damaged, so I would suggest deciding where to site it in advance & not moving it unless really necessary.
Hope you have a dry day to have a play with it!

You don't need a dry day to barbecue. I did a whole chicken smoked with green apple wood on my (£90) Weber Kettle in the pissing rain today. Served up for tea with (freshly ground) Chipotle mayo and whole potato chips. Absolutely delicious.

advertisement

Back