advertisement

Earliest use of the Oedipal compound noun in commercially released music?

foxwelljsly

Me too, I ate one sour too.
I know Steely Dan owned '****' with Showbiz kids, but what about it's close relative 'Mother****er'?

I am disqualifying 'The Weird World of Blowfly' and Johnny Otis's 'Snatch and The Poontangs' on the basis that they're comedy/novelty records.

That given, the earliest I can find is on spaced folky Keith Christmas's 'Robin Head', released in 1974, but performed for years before that.

Anyone know of an earlier appearance?

I've got a bunch of old 'dirty' blues records, but they all stop short of going full MF.

I know Steely Dan owned '****' with Showbiz kids, but what about it's close relative 'Mother****er'?

I am disqualifying 'The Weird World of Blowfly' and Johnny Otis's 'Snatch and The Poontangs' on the basis that they're comedy/novelty records.

That given, the earliest I can find is on spaced folky Keith Christmas's 'Robin Head', released in 1974, but performed for years before that.

Anyone know of an earlier appearance?

I've got a bunch of old 'dirty' blues records, but they all stop short of going full MF.

Apparently Louis Armstrong sang a MF littered version of the star spangled banner in the 50s as a protest against segregation. I doubt it was commercially released even though he did record a lot of his performances.

The Clovers, recorded 1953

YouTube + nuy45DmCyeM

Can't seem to make a link and hide the YouTube preview, which may cause simple minds offence.

advertisement

Back