advertisement

Anyone find this a step to far?

Hi,

Apologies if the thread is a bit vague as I don't wish to name the companies involved.

Don't often post in the Off Topic section, however I saw this advert tonight on TV and thought, is this not a step too far during what might be the biggest crisis the NHS and the general public has faced.

Basically there was an advert for Medical Negligence Claims, best I don't name the company in case it is against the forum rules.

I felt it was inappropriate for the network to allow such an advert to be shown during the current crisis with the next advert telling us to protect the NHS.

What do people think, should business go on as normal for some companies, like this Medical Negligence Claims Company, while other companies are struggling and one of our biggest institutions is under huge strain and the public is being locked down.

Or am I just being old fashioned in my views?

Cheers

John

PS. If the Mods think this thread is inappropriate please delete.

Was watching old Monty Python shows tonight and in today's sterile PC gone mad world they would be considered a leap too far never mind a step. Many of them in fact probably illegal today! Hilarious!

It's................... (see what I did there?:D) bang out of order yes OP Eyebroughty. And medical "care" for profit cannot happen in a civilised country.

To take your post to its logical conclusion, should any service or product be advertised at the moment? Or are you using the present crisis to attack the whole idea of claiming against the NHS for compensation for damage caused by avoidable accidents?

If you see anything that has the phrase "No win no fee" or similar then leave well alone, simple as that.

If you see anything that has the phrase "No win no fee" or similar then leave well alone, simple as that.
Legal aid is no longer available for clinical negligence claims, so, unless you want to pay your solicitor win or lose, no win, no fee is the only way forward.
Bear in mind that no solicitor will take on a claim unless he believes it has at least a 70% chance of winning. He'll go broke otherwise.

The NHS, like anyone else, has professional standards and quality of work to meet. If they are negligent then they should pay damages. This is no different from the rest of us. I've had a client attempt to sue my business in an attempt to avoid paying a bill. It didn't go anywhere but I had to get solicitors. This is why businesses have PI/PL insurance. The NHS has a legal department and either insurance or sets aside a suitable sum of money to auto-insure. This is normal in any large organisation. Bottom feeding solicitors will always be there.

Not as disgusting as the insurance adverts aimed at old people to cover the cost of their funeral.
Or the loans adverts with ridiculously high interest rates aimed at the financially vulnerable, or the escalation in gambling adverts....where there’s demand and when you have a bigger captive audience...

Hi,

Ok, I give in, guess you are all right in different ways, in todays society anything goes, why should I care about issues like this, people are out to make money any way they can, just look at banks.

So I have an old fashion approach to things, obviously why I like the old LP12 :D

So I will forget swearing at the adverts in future and drink another glass of wine instead of asking for some anti depressants from my doc.

Stay safe everyone.

Cheers

John

Hi,

Ok, I give in, guess you are all right in different ways, in todays society anything goes, why should I care about issues like this, people are out to make money any way they can, just look at banks.
Not at all. Not at all "anything goes". At any time people in authority need to be held to account and anyone offering a service, especially if it affects people's health, has to be held to professional standards. Nobody can bring a person in authority to account without a solicitor or some other independent arbitrator, hence the legal firms doing a service. After that, nobody works for free.

Not as disgusting as the insurance adverts aimed at old people to cover the cost of their funeral.
Why disgusting ? Being childless (and not ashamed) my main concern is not how I will be buried, if at all, for me they can make pigfood out of me as long as it's good for the pigs. But I wouldn't want to cause any trouble among relatives when it comes to pay the bill of the coroner, that's why I could well think about such an insurance. A few quid every month preserves them from a lot of hassle. What's bad about that ?

There is a piece in the Times law section today related to medical negligence. According to NHS Resolution (the NHS Litigation Authority) the estimated, total value of claims pending in 2018, was £83.4 billion. I think the total budget of the NHS is around £115 billion. What you might call a real shocker!

Why disgusting ? Being childless (and not ashamed) my main concern is not how I will be buried, if at all, for me they can make pigfood out of me as long as it's good for the pigs. But I wouldn't want to cause any trouble among relatives when it comes to pay the bill of the coroner, that's why I could well think about such an insurance. A few quid every month preserves them from a lot of hassle. What's bad about that ?

Perhaps. But do you need reminding 10 times a day ?
Just for interest how do relatives/coroner know about the insurance ?
These adverts seem like a daytime tv bombardment along with the capital release rip-off and the save the donkeys in some far off place.

Not at all. Not at all "anything goes". At any time people in authority need to be held to account and anyone offering a service, especially if it affects people's health, has to be held to professional standards. Nobody can bring a person in authority to account without a solicitor or some other independent arbitrator, hence the legal firms doing a service. After that, nobody works for free.
over here, the medical lobby is so strong that lawsuits against doctors or hospitals are next to impossible. This is of course a problem if a medical error puts you in financial difficulty for the rest of your life. The doctors’ excuse is that by definition, nature has its own ways, which is basically true. And I fear that a widespread “lawsuit culture” would contribute to an evolution like in the US, where everyone loses in the end apart from doctors, the Pharma industry and a lot of other big players. Not a nice prospect if you ask me.

advertisement

Back