advertisement

Shahinian Speakers - current and past users - your views

Hi,

Not had a thread on Shahinian Speakers for a while, so I was interested in finding a few things out as I might be upgrading.

Just a few questions, thoughts on any or all welcomed.

1) How many have used them and stayed with the same model and not felt the need to upgrade up the Shahinian range or versions?

2) How many have used them and upgraded to other models or versions in the Shahinian range?

3) Of the Shahinian speakers you have, or have had, what makes you feel they are the best?

4) You have them, or have had them, but thought you needed to change other parts of your HiFi, source or amplification, to get the best out of them?

5) How many have used them and moved to other makes of speakers?

6) How many have heard them and did not like them and why?

I have heard all the range, mostly in other peoples houses, with Dynavector, Bedini, Naim, Linn and Quad valve and solid state amplification with analogue and digital sources.

In my own place I have used Arcs and Super Elf's and still have these, with analogue and digital sources, solid state and valve amplification, although my Arcs are on loan to someone currently.

What I like about Shahinian is they sound so natural with the music just flowing from them without the speakers taking centre stage, giving depth and soundstage that at times makes the music sound so real it transports you to the venue.

Everyone will have their own thoughts on how a speaker sounds, or should sound, so am sure there will be similar or different views from mine.

Interested in thoughts, opinions and anything else about them including which Shahinians you have or aspire to have and maybe what you use with them.

Cheers

John

For what its worth here is my take:

Super Elf's - lovely little speaker with a beautiful mid range but lacking in depth in the application I was using them for. I suppose, despite being ported, they are a bit of a BBC monitor copy which is no bad thing. Lovely looking and beautifully made.

Compass - possible the best looking speaker in the world (has to be said with a gravely voice). A clever speaker which is remarkably unfussy about placement and although the pair I had were not as 'sweet' as the Super Elves, they made up for it with a much fuller sound. Seemed unfazed by what amplification was used but really woke up if they were partnered with a powerful amp. A great speaker and I only had the first version.

Obelisk - I started with Obelisks mk1's and have stuck with a pair of mk2's. Mostly easy to live with but can set off room nodes in some applications. The early ones really do need powerful amps, the latter are less fussy. Easy to move around and mostly they just sit there and transmit whatever you put into them. Deceptively loud and often I don't realise this until I move to another part of the house. Occasionally I swap other speakers into the setup but pretty soon miss the Obelisks. They don't do everything and would make useless monitors but for listening to music, radio and television in a domestic setting they are hard to beat.

Last edited:
I love my Larcs. Like Snufkin says about the Compasses, not fussy about where they're placed. I'd probably have got a bit more depth if I'd been able to push on to the Compasses that The Audio Republic was selling, but the Larcs suit me fine.

I always quite fancied a pair and bought a pair of Shahinian Compass, I kept them for just a few months, the sounded great in many ways giving a very three dimensional soundstage but very oddly some sounds seemed to be coming from right in the centre of the cabinet. I do feel I didn't get the best out of them and perhaps in a different room or different positioning they might have worked better.

I had Larcs for a few months. The treble was annoying me though and nothing really seemed to tame it - tried vaious amps and couple of turntables. Are they metal dome? Also, the music didn't flow quite as easily as my Linn speakers.

However, I quite liked the omnidirectional thing and they were very good at keeping the correct rhythm and timing. Dead easy to setup as well.

Perhaps ask Thorn what he's partnering his with as he's been happy for a good while by the seems of it.

I've heard much bigger Shahinian speakers over a few hours and the treble was absolutely fine, driven by Dynavector amps and LP12. I think they were Arcs judging by online pics. Very natural as you stated. Whilst I've not compared directly, I'd rather have Briks though.

I had a Nait XS when I got them, but shortly after changed to a Moon Ace. I have no problem with the treble. Like Charlie, I find the rhythm and timing good.
Charlie, did you play them at a high volume? I play my music fairly quietly, for which I find them very well suited.

1) How many have used them and stayed with the same model and not felt the need to upgrade up the Shahinian range or versions?

A: I replaced my SBLs with Arcs. Best single hi-fi upgrade I ever did. I stayed with Arcs for 11 years and felt no real need to change.

2) How many have used them and upgraded to other models or versions in the Shahinian range?

A: After 11 years I thought, why not get a pair of Obelisks? So I did. They were great. Probably preferred them to the Arcs, but somewhat different presentation. Again, very musical.

3) Of the Shahinian speakers you have, or have had, what makes you feel they are the best?

A; They are incredibly musical. In many respects, sometimes not the best "hi-fi" but wonderfully involving and a real pleasure to listen to. They do bass also.

4) You have them, or have had them, but thought you needed to change other parts of your HiFi, source or amplification, to get the best out of them?

A; No - worked fine with what I had (Linn/Naim inc Naim 250. Devialet 200 for one week...).

5) How many have used them and moved to other makes of speakers?

A: Moved to a pair of Kii 3s. The Kiis are very different and resolve far more detail, and are more extended, etc. but they cost A LOT more dosh (amps etc. "thrown in" tho'). They are also very, very fussy regarding the "sweet spot". In contrast, the Shahinian sweet=spot is about 5 metres wide...

Hi,

@Charlie_1 I think they are metal tweeters, some online reviews suggest the Compasses are Titanium but I cannot be sure and if they are the same in all models.

I would be interested in what Linn speakers you are using, I have a couple of pairs of Linn's, Akurate 212's and Saras, one has amazing top end but little bass the other has good bass but no midrange.

I had the active Isobariks and all bar one of the people I know who had Isobariks either passive or active all changed to Arcs.

That's not to say I don't like the Isobariks, I still think they are quite amazing in the right room with the right amplification, however Arcs are easier to use and listen to at any level. I did find Isobariks needed to be played at a reasonable level to come alive.

Which is best between Arcs and Isobariks, difficult, if I lived in a detached house I would have both.

Cheers

John

Arcs.

Ran them with 52/250 NCC 200’s most enjoyable.

Bought Teddy Pardo pre/mono blocks enjoyed the music through the equipment. No itches left to scratch. Awesome.

Recommend to everybody.

stay safe

I’ve owned arcs, 1x p as of obelisk mk1 & 2x pairs of obs mk2. They perform best in that order.

I drove my obs with a nap300 (7/10), tried a Bryson 4bsst2 (8/10) but then Moved to a vitus RI100 (9/10) then a vitus sia-025 (10/10), both of the vitus amps sounded brilliant. They love plenty of current.

After owning omnis for 4 or so years I final returned back to directional speakers and haven’t looked back. They offer a very enjoyable wall of sound but my Dutch & Dutch 8cs beat them in every category.

loved the fact they were on wheels

I have owned my ARC MK1 for 14 years now.
My amps were first Jadis Orchestra,Naim 72/140 and now Exposure 3010.

Recently I had the current Wharfedale Linton 85 here with me to test it extensively.

The Linton is nice to listen to, but my old Arc sounds much better in all aspects.

The Arc never ceases to amaze me.

I own Snufkin's old Compasses and have to say that they sound pretty well all I could ask for! They work so well in my room on the end of Naim amplification. Soon to try a Townshend Allegri + pre amp, so that may be interesting too!
I did have Obelisks for a very short while, but they were too much for my room!

I had a pair of Obelisk mk1s, 2nd hand off this forum, a few years back. Couldn't get on with them at all - slow heavy lifeless sound, tried about 4 different amps with them of all kinds of spec, all sounded just the the same. Decided they just were not for me and moved them on.

Mind you, my speaker thoughts obvs need to be challenged - several forum favourites have been huge disappointments for me - Quad 57s, Active ATCs, Tannoy DCs been here over the years and didn't do anything for me!

I’ve owned a pair of Larcs for three years. Originally bought them as the wife wanted someone domestically acceptable. I think they’re wonderful. Very easy to place, easy to drive and have decent bass for their size.

They’re probably slightly better with the JVC Z1010 but at the moment happy on the end of one of my old Sugdens.

They sound good with most types of music. I shall keep these forever

I would love to try a pair of Arcs. A little bit more bass with the same presentation would be nice.

PJ

Ran a pair of Compass speakers for a few months, but they for me, in my system they didn't have the intensity that my Avalons have.

Hi,
I would be interested in what Linn speakers you are using, I have a couple of pairs of Linn's, Akurate 212's and Saras, one has amazing top end but little bass the other has good bass but no midrange.
Briks and Kans but you're right, they both need the right amps (and source) to sound right. I also compared the Larcs to M140s, Katans and Keilidhs one way or another.

I own Snufkin's old Compasses and have to say that they sound pretty well all I could ask for! They work so well in my room on the end of Naim amplification. Soon to try a Townshend Allegri + pre amp, so that may be interesting too!
I did have Obelisks for a very short while, but they were too much for my room!

I bought John's Obs and am delighted with them!

In my room (larger and less resonant than John's) they sound excellent.
They give a very natural sound, I no longer listen to "the hi fi" but to the music instead.

In my room (with a high ceiling) they give a convincing image which, as widely advertised, remains stable regardless of listening position. If I listen from the kitchen through the (open) door to the living room it reminds me of when I used to go the New Orleans Jazz Club in Newcastle back in the late 60's and, having heard the music from the entrance as you tried to get in the door, you suddenly walked into the room and the music hit you as you were suddenly there.

I must say that when I first got the Obs home and tried them on my NAP250 I was minded to take them back and ask for a refund! There was no output from the tweeters. Having been brainwashed into thinking a 250 could drive any speaker I was taken aback!

Further study on pfm gave the answer, courtesy of Linus, an American pfm member, who said that he used an NAP180 with Obs to good effect and that Vashken Shahinian had told him that Naim 250 (and 135s) were a bad match to Obelisks due to their power supply regulator boards not liking low impedance loads at high frequencies. I imagine the larger Hawks and Diapasons would be even worse!

When I swapped from the 250 to a 180 I conveniently had to hand(!) everything worked fine!

Having now thoroughly "Avondaled" my power amps I am entirely happy (still wouldn't mind trying a Dynavector power amp mind!) but it bears out some of the many comments on here and elsewhere that Obelisks and Naim don't make a good match (unless you, counter intuitively, downgrade the power amp to a lesser model than you might assume to be a "match").

I hate auditioning speakers so not heard that many in my room.
Had Arcs for 20 yrs approx. They work in my room. Sound good in many different seating locations - musical and often surprise me with what they do. They’re for listening to not analysing what they do well and do poorly.
They’re small and easy to place, even wife friendly compared to taller floorstanders..
Room size means I’ve never looked higher up the range.
They been powered by a few amps by now, seem best with an amp with good current supply and decent power output.
I know there are better speakers out there, but I can’t be bothered looking for them. That’s how happy I am with my Arcs......

As a Shahinian fan who has owned in this order - Arcs, Obs (1), Obs (2), Arcs, Hawks ill put my opinion in the ring

1) How many have used them and stayed with the same model and not felt the need to upgrade up the Shahinian range or versions? - I've been through the versions to understand if upgrading was worthwhile, then went back to arcs when i had a hefty tax bill and id say Arcs are the best value sweet spot, so easy to drive and can listen to them all day. Obs are better, obs 2 i didn't get the massive improvement people talk about but i got it when i jumped to hawks but they are just not wife friendly

2) How many have used them and upgraded to other models or versions in the Shahinian range? as above

3) Of the Shahinian speakers you have, or have had, what makes you feel they are the best? i find the fact i can sit in any position in my room and hear the music to the fullest, no placement worries or adjusting my seat

4) You have them, or have had them, but thought you needed to change other parts of your HiFi, source or amplification, to get the best out of them? you need a beefy amp for obs and upwards (arcs less fussy) - a Naim 250 didn't work but with Dynavector & Meridian they sounded superb, Surprisingly im running my Hawks with a Ear 899 valve amp and they are sounding superb - imagine if i went back to a beefy solid state id get a great uplift

5) How many have used them and moved to other makes of speakers? not here

6) How many have heard them and did not like them and why? not here

I am listening to music a bit less at the moment and if i decided to spend less on my kit i would certainly buy some arcs again

Used Arcs since 2006 , purchased some Audio Note Js because I fancied a change , these stayed for about 2 months.
Thought these were just awful and replaced these with Arc2 and these are staying.

Box loudspeakers beaming sound straight to you just sound wrong to me.

The Arcs do respond to plenty of power.

I would have Obs if I had the space.

As commented above I do think the Compasses are the best looking speaker out there.

Shahinian speakers are either loved or loathed, if you love them then nothing else will do.

advertisement

Back