advertisement

Mint record sounds terrible....

foxwelljsly

Me too, I ate one sour too.
I recently picked up a mint, unplayed, first UK pressing of 'Who Are You' by the Who off discogs. Sleeve, disc and inner are in timewarp, brand new, unplayed condition, but it sounds like shit, muffled and weird. I've given it a clean and it still sounds bad. Not the first time I've encountered this - I had it with some US Led Zep and Temptations LP's I bought still shrinkwrapped a while back which were old stock from a military quartermasters.

Anyone else encountered this? Any thoughts as to the cause? And, no, it's not a counterfeit. My only thought is that it's been played once with a damaged stylus or it's a bad pressing, both of which seem unlikely given the matrix numbers and condition.

cheers

It maybe a first pressing but how many copies of that particular record did they press with each stamper? As for the quality of US pressings, hmmm. Some of my least impressive pressings are US. I am not saying that they are all bad, far from it but back in the 70's you were far more likely to get iffy US pressings than UK ones.

The grooves could be full of paper bits from the original sleeve causing what you describe - if possible give it a good wet cleaning.

Polydor of that era shipped with a poly-lined inner.

PS Can’t answer this one, I had a UK 1st press of this title (only recently sold it as its not something I ever play) and it sounded fine as I recall. Not an amazing recording by any stretch, but certainly not awful.

Visually graded only...

That's the system, not least with factory-sealed stuff. How would the huge majority of sellers on Discogs do anything else?

What are the matrix numbers? I'll bet that you are hearing as good as those particular individual LPs get, or within not much. It will be the recording or the pressing, possibly both.

is it supposed to sound better than it does? I have some eg LPs of kate bush and to be honest the quality is dire. OK they are just bog standard LPs bought new from HMV or Tower Records ( remember them?). I think they didnt seem to know better ( or possible care) in those days?

My 1970s Miles Davis LPs and other similar USA pressings always sounded papery and out of phase, my kit at the time was very sensitive to phase. My CDs have always sounded much better

I have an old pressing of Rumours that sounds dull even though it’s in mint visual condition. I can only assume it got worn out by the previous owner, plus a worn out stylus maybe??

This is a UK pressing in the original poly lined inner. The same album sounds clear and bright on Spotify. I guess I've got a dud!

This is a UK pressing in the original poly lined inner. The same album sounds clear and bright on Spotify. I guess I've got a dud!

There were all sorts of pressings of that album. Bargain Woolworths ones, heck you can can buy in in Tesco today. I have two, or maybe three, and they don't sound the same.

You may just prefer the modern remastered version, which I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t (certainly based on other Who albums)! I’d certainly expect the digital remaster to be far brighter and more ‘in yer face’ (with a lot of compression).

My guess is that it is just a bad pressing, something that was all to common in the ‘70s and 80s. Perhaps the first owner played it once, found it sounded like crap and never played it again. That is why it is in “timewarp” condition.

If it had been played with a worn stylus I would expect it have characteristic distortion on any crescendoes.

No this one is dreadful. You want it?:D

You're twisting my arm ;0)

You may just prefer the modern remastered version, which I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t (certainly based on other Who albums)!

I bought a new pressing of 'The Queen Is Dead' and it sounds great. I expected it to be poor but it's not. Sounds fine. Not all remasters and new pressings are bad. The remasters of the Genesis albums are also good.

I like 'The Who' but I've never owned any recording by them LP or CD, that I thought sounded very good. To me they all sound dynamically as flat as a pancake and are all rather dull and muffled sounding, much like the OP's description.

What I have noticed throughout the time I used LP's and whichever record deck I've used, after the first playing they never sounded the same again. It's as though the very highest frequencies and all the sparkle had been stripped away. I guess playback just causes damage and there's no getting round it.

Pete

advertisement

Back