advertisement

What's everyone's least favourite Beatles track?

DipsyDave

pfm Member
'All of them' - not an acceptable answer!

'Ballad of John and Yoko' is mine.
One of the very few Fab Four songs that does virtually nothing for me.

I think Mr Moonlight is probably Everyone's Least Favourite Beatles' Track. It certainly should be.

I think Mr Moonlight is probably Everyone's Least Favourite Beatles' Track. It certainly should be.
Never really get why this track is singled out so much as their worst. OK, perhaps not a classic, but to me charming in a clunky sort of way.

Revolution Number 9 is by far the worst Beatles track. Truly awful stuff. I always skip it when playing the album and remove it when copying the CD onto my DAP.

Revolution number 9 obvs.

I guess Maxwell's silver hammer, Octopus's garden after that... everything else they did was between good and the best music ever recorded!

I love Mr Moonlight.

...or if you can wait for seven minutes more on the same album Honey Don’t comes along, which runs Mr Moonlight close.

I have no problems with Revolution 9 - I certainly wouldn’t skip past it. I probably would skip past Honey Don’t.

Honey Don't is good as well. no way would I listen to revolution number 9. There is worse out there of course... I've had to switch over to R4 'cos a entire prog about Kylie is on!

I like Honey Don't as well, just bounces along nicely with Ringo being Ringo.
Lots of people think Beatles For Sale is their weakest album. I don't think that's the case, but I might be biased here because it was the first pop album we had in our house, and at nine years old I loved it.

Haters gonna hate, but I’d happily skip about a third of their output, maybe more! For every Tomorrow Never Knows, I Am The Walrus, Strawberry Fields, Glass Onion or whatever there are at least three lightweight saccharine music-hall influenced pop songs or children’s sing-alongs. They were the generation before me so never spoke to me directly, really my knowledge was from absorbing the god awful Liverpool tourist tat long after the fact (I lived and worked in the city for decades). You just needed to open a window and the bloody Beatles wafted in! That or Ferry Across the f-ing Mersey! I just got sick to death of it in a way I’m sure I wouldn’t at all with jazz in New Orleans.

That said I do like and respect a lot of it, Abbey Rd probably being my favourite album (though, like all of them, it is not without filler). I have the Beatles In Mono CD box (I made a lot of money buying and selling Beatles vinyl, but never kept a set of originals myself, a shame in many ways as they are a great investment). Anyway, I went through the whole of the Mono box whilst reading Ian MacDonald’s Revolution In The Head. I suspect that’s me done, I can’t imagine ever playing any if it again, but I may be wrong!

Rubber Soul is a good one IMO, its the pivot-point from pop music to something more. That’s not to in anyway write-off what went before, but for me its when things started to get interesting.

advertisement

Back