advertisement

Old Naim Naits

Sorry to go off tangent a bit but upgraded from a Rega Brio-R nice amp just wanted a different sound I could not find a Nait 3 or older at reasonable money got a nait5i and feel it's a genuine step up from the Rega Brio-R.
If I am totally honest it's maybe not got as much character or distinct sound as 72/180 but still a good punchy and very quick amp.
I bought it as a temporary amp and I really like it the convenience of a remote and RCA make it very easy to live with and to my ears sounds very acceptable.
I know it's not loved as much as olive or CB but for the money and bear in mind older stuff will be due a service as well. I had the 5i looked over and was given a clean bill of health so when Tue factor that it they are pretty good price wise in my opinion

Indeed! A much more modern voicing too. My Dad is blind and was looking for a new system (at the time) with easy to use push buttons etc and this was the one I recommended for his budget - he's been happy ever since, and he knows what he likes ;)

Sorry to go off tangent a bit but upgraded from a Rega Brio-R nice amp just wanted a different sound I could not find a Nait 3 or older at reasonable money got a nait5i and feel it's a genuine step up from the Rega Brio-R.
If I am totally honest it's maybe not got as much character or distinct sound as 72/180 but still a good punchy and very quick amp.
I bought it as a temporary amp and I really like it the convenience of a remote and RCA make it very easy to live with and to my ears sounds very acceptable.
I know it's not loved as much as olive or CB but for the money and bear in mind older stuff will be due a service as well. I had the 5i looked over and was given a clean bill of health so when Tue factor that it they are pretty good price wise in my opinion
Good to hear you're enjoying it. The 5i is a nice amp and good value. It's a good all-rounder and just gets on with the job. Easy to find as well. I had a serviced one which kinda got the whole Naim thing going for me too. I prefer it to the Brio-R as well which seemed a bit 'uninspiring' for lack of a better description - perhaps it doesn't suit my Linn source and speakers.

I'd like to hear the older 5 which is regarded by some as better.

The 5i is a nice amp and good value. It's a good all-rounder and just gets on with the job. Easy to find as well. I had a serviced one which kinda got the whole Naim thing going for me too. I prefer it to the Brio-R as well which seemed a bit 'uninspiring' for lack of a better description.

I'd like to hear the older 5 which is regarded by some as better.

Yes I know what you mean plus lots of options to upgrade the early one that the only downside to the 5i I think

They’re great speakers and it’s a great amp but at retail prices back then (I’m thinking late 80s no honest dealer would recommend doing it that way. Now with SBL prices as low as they are, influenced by a lack of spares, probably a good way of doing it if you either already have the NAIT or have banked on s/h values continuing to be strong.

You’ll certainly get more from the 62/HC/110 with them, freeing your NAIT up for another system. There’s often Epos speakers going for relatively little cash, again spares are an issue.

yes, I’m looking for a pair of Epos ES11 as they seem to be the best speakers I have tried for my NaimUniti, which is another little gem from Naim (IMO).

I've been enjoying my Nait 2 for twenty odd years now because it sounds great with a vinyl source at condo level volume. Thought i'd found a new version of it when i ordered an Onix AO21 but now it's looking like i'll never know.

I've been enjoying my Nait 2 for twenty odd years now because it sounds great with a vinyl source at condo level volume. Thought i'd found a new version of it when i ordered an Onix AO21 but now it's looking like i'll never know.

The Naim amplifiers from the chrome bumper and olive era are always serviceable, robust, simple design and good for a lifetime. Just get it serviced when due and enjoy music.

Likewise but in fits and starts over the last 8 years Sandy (Olive and CB - CB remains) but now in an office system with Aries Mini/Spendor S3/5R2s. Have faith with regards the OA21 Icon. I also have one on order to go head to head with the Nait 2. I’m confident we will get them eventually.

Nice to see the kinky boots back. :)

Neil

Certainly a bit more power than a 2 (20W max, maybe more like 15), or a 3 (perhaps 30). I've never heard a 5, but owned a 3 long ago, and three 2s since then. The 3 and the 2 are quite different to my ears.
I believe it had 30w compared to the 5i which was 50. But in my opinion it beat the 5i for detail and just overall quality.

I’ve always believed you do not need the latest and greatest pieces of hifi to enjoy music. Who hasn’t heard some tune on a battered radio that made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, it’s those feelings and emotions which I believe we strive to attain.
I owned a Nait 1 when they first came out, driving Kans with a LP12 up front it produced music. It wasn’t punchy, it wasn’t brash, it was detailed and totally enjoyable. Many years later I owned the Nait 5i and it was punchy, powerful but IMO not as enjoyable and yes it was driving Kans and had a Linn LP12 front end too.
So if push came to shove, to enjoy music I’d go with the original Nait, have it serviced and sit back and enjoy the sounds.

All this talk about Naits has got me to bring my CB NAIT2 out for a play.

It's hooked up to a pair of Yamaha NS-1000M, and it is doing a fabulous job making them sing. I might keep them in the system for longer than just a play.

All this talk about Naits has got me to bring my CB NAIT2 out for a play.

It's hooked up to a pair of Yamaha NS-1000M, and it is doing a fabulous job making them sing. I might keep them in the system for longer than just a play.

Now I want one! :rolleyes: :)

I love these old Nait threads...I bought my first Nait (a 3 non R) back in 1995...back in the day the story was that the non R sounded better than the R ... now the received wisdom is opposite
....I then bought a s/h Nait 2 in about 2014 (which I had serviced & repaired @ Class A) for a second system.

I would love to go all the way with black boxes but financial constraints & aesthetics have prevented this.

The 3 I use with a Meridian Tuner & Schiitt Modi into Dynaudios ...it sounds great.
The 2 I use with LP12, Chord Mojo & Nat 03 into Epos ES11s is also great

I am thinking of moving on from the 3 ...but if circumstances don't permit I will be equally happy.

I would hate to have spent a lot of money upsizing only to downsize now...

My first interaction with PFM when it was still a website (before it became a forum) was an email exchange with Tony as to why my then recently aquired CB 62/Snaps/140 was no better than the CB Nait 2 that I had just upgraded from. I've had umpteen flavours of Naim over the intervening 2 decades and it's only that CB Nait 2 (and a subsequent 160) that I regret selling.

I so regret selling my Olive Nait2 that I had bought from new, divorce causes one to do many irrational things!

advertisement

Back