advertisement

iFi AC iPurifier solved my AC noise issue

hifiaf

pfm Member
Hi all,

For anyone suffering from obvious AC noise issues on their systems and looking for a relatively inexpensive solution, I have a suggestion.

I recently installed "powerline networking" in my home -- a way to extend my home network to my garage when no other option seemed practicable. It works by sending network signals through the power lines, and I was worried it would introduce AC noise into my system. It most definitely did! It was audible in silent moments between tracks and very annoying.

I did some reading around and decided to try out the relatively inexpensive iFi AC iPurifier ($99 USD). I figured that since I had such an obvious noise issue, this would at least be a good chance to verify whether it actually works -- many reviews call it "snake oil" -- and, if not, to simply return it.

I'm happy to report that it works exactly as advertised. I've put together a somewhat sloppy video with audio to prove it. You can see it here: http://www.hifiaf.com/ifi-ac-ipurifier/

Not the same thing probably, but I have a couple of mains clamp things(a Russ Andrews and an Isotek) in addition to a mains conditioner and really they work a treat in my house.

Posted previously, but relevant..

"I was getting a slight hum and occasional crackles through my speakers which I resolved by using a power supply filter unit (Nobsound Audio 3000W 15A Audio Power Purifier Filter AC Power Socket Conditioner). I am not sure at what stage the interference was introduced, but it turned out that the hum was the result of using powerline adaptors to connect my streaming-based system to my network. I resolved this properly by getting the house wired with ethernet cables (much easier than I thought it would be). Since we are subject to quite frequent power outages and surges, the Nobsound unit made sense anyway. The quality of the sound has not been improved, but interference has been eliminated."

Just thumbing through some of your other articles...well done, that's a really interesting blog you have there.

I’m a big fan of Ifi! I think they have cornered a niche market and there doesn’t appear to be much foo in their marketing!
In fact they don’t seem to do any marketing!
Have a couple of their power supplies and use a Spdif ipurifier to convert the optical from an Airport Express to coaxial into my ancient Rega IO Dac.

A decent iec inlet filter would have the same effect on any bit of hifi, they are de rigueur on euro made stuff.

Google schaffner iec inlet filter. They're £5.

A decent iec inlet filter would have the same effect on any bit of hifi, they are de rigueur on euro made stuff.

Thanks, I've just sent my Linx pre-power kit for service and will ask to have these fitted if not already done.

I have got their Power cord with an inbuilt EMI/RFI filter .... Works like a charm...

A decent iec inlet filter would have the same effect on any bit of hifi, they are de rigueur on euro made stuff. Google schaffner iec inlet filter. They're £5.

Thanks for the information. That’s very interesting and when I have to service gear I will ask for that.

However, a service comes with a price which needs to be added to the £5. So 99$ for this device seems not to bad in my view especially if you own quite a few older Naim olive boxes which would all need that treatment.

The iFi's also do surge protection and tell you if polarity is correct on your line. So they are pretty useful. I have two in my setup. I won't claim they've improved the sound, but I have a lot of power issues where I live, so they give me some peace of mind and certainly don't negatively effect the sound.

I'll experiment with an IEC filter at some point and see if it achieves the same thing. As @McNaim says, though, a possible advantage of this device is that it would solve the problem for multiple devices at once — and devices like my Dynavector P75 preamp (probably the source of my noise issue) that run from wall warts and would be able to have such a filter fitted (AFAIK).

I also haven't noticed any increase in sound quality, including with multiple AC iPurifiers running at once, though I'll try to test that at some point just to see...

Keith-
That's a different device with a different purpose.
Do you think there are no AC power issues that can effect sound quality?

The sad irony is that regulatory authorities around the world brought in draconian measures against the possibilities of equipment (anything and everything electrical) either generating or being over susceptible to interference before
there was any need or demand for Wi-Fi or things like "powerline networking".... and then, as soon as their was big business and big profits to be made from this they allow these products to exist which have made matters 10 times worse than before there was any legislation!

advertisement

Back