advertisement

The Chord Mojo is Clunky & Mandraulic

I’ve had Hugo 1 and 2. They sound excellent but the user interface is bonkers. I also agree that you had family or guests trying to use one they’d be perplexed. That volume control with colour change to indicate how loud you are going- it’s dangerous. I had snug fitting Shure IEMs in on a train, pulled the Hugo out and it was upside down causing me to wind the volume all the way up rather than down, then the ‘music’ started. I thought I was going to vomit before I pulled the cable out. Wouldn’t sell it though ( H2) it’s really adaptable, remote controlled and SQ is brilliant.

I’ve had Hugo 1 and 2. They sound excellent but the user interface is bonkers. I also agree that you had family or guests trying to use one they’d be perplexed. That volume control with colour change to indicate how loud you are going- it’s dangerous. I had snug fitting Shure IEMs in on a train, pulled the Hugo out and it was upside down causing me to wind the volume all the way up rather than down, then the ‘music’ started. I thought I was going to vomit before I pulled the cable out. Wouldn’t sell it though ( H2) it’s really adaptable, remote controlled and SQ is brilliant.
I agree. If you had a competition for the worst design, the most unusable UI, the ill-est conceived connectivity, Chord DACs would win first, second and third places hands down by a country mile. The DAVE would win first place for its utterly hopeless “design”. Eight and a half grand, none of the buttons are labelled with anything, nor is the back panel. No way of knowing how to alter the volume, mute it, turn it on or off, or change an input. Back panel is just as bad, lots of sockets, no labels or text whatsoever. A joke. And the M Scaler has a whole row of stupid coloured balls that look like kids gob stoppers, but give you not a clue about what they mean or do. Utterly hopeless. Three and a half grand. What do you expect? But they sound just smashing.

Love the Mojo. Been using it for over 2 years on the go and part of he main system. Use it with HD800 and IE800's. Can't get enough of it when working from home. :).

I have mine set up so you can dial up the CDP analogue output on one input on my preamp and the Mojo converted CDP digital output on another input on my preamp, when the CDP is playing the family can select the analogue output from the CDP as they don't miss what the Mojo does. When I want to listen I turn on the Mojo in line mode and switch to the Mojo. If it runs flat I swap to the CDP analogue output again while I charge it. similarly when the Mojo is out of the system I plug the CCA analogue output in place of the Mojo analogue output. If you see what I mean.

The Mojo is fantastic for its main use case. If you want to use it for something it wasn't primarily designed for, it will seem poor. Or buy something that suits your use case.

The Arcam irDAC-II is a nice sounding DAC, very versatile and easy to use. 1x USB, 2x Optical and 2x Coax inputs as well as Bluetooth. 1x Fixed and 1x Variable analogue line out are provided so it can be used as a standalone DAC or as a combined DAC/preamp. The 3.5mm headphone output sounds excellent too BTW. Inputs and volume are changed by simple + and - push buttons on top the unit, and a remote control is included too which allows you to control everything without having to leave the sofa. What's not to like?

404_large.jpg
That’s what I use in my office system, I really like it!

I have mine set up so you can dial up the CDP analogue output on one input on my preamp and the Mojo converted CDP digital output on another input on my preamp, when the CDP is playing the family can select the analogue output from the CDP as they don't miss what the Mojo does. When I want to listen I turn on the Mojo in line mode and switch to the Mojo. If it runs flat I swap to the CDP analogue output again while I charge it. similarly when the Mojo is out of the system I plug the CCA analogue output in place of the Mojo analogue output. If you see what I mean.
I was thinking of doing this & may still do but it sort of defeats the purpose of owning a Mojo...battery lasts long enough to play about 2CDs only.....I compare to my mid 90s Nait 3 and Nat 03...both worked solidly & dutifully since purchase no issues !!!

The Mojo is fantastic for its main use case. If you want to use it for something it wasn't primarily designed for, it will seem poor. Or buy something that suits your use case.
Trouble is Chord must have known that most users would have them in static systems & should've recommended against such deployment..

I was thinking of doing this & may still do but it sort of defeats the purpose of owning a Mojo...battery lasts long enough to play about 2CDs only.....I compare to my mid 90s Nait 3 and Nat 03...both worked solidly & dutifully since purchase no issues !!!
Ah, can it not be used while charging/plugged in? That would be the killer for me, it’s not uncommon for me to have a system playing for 8+ hours at a time.

2 CDs? Your battery is buggered. Should do 10 hours best case, perhaps 6 hours realistically. Chord don't recommend you charge while you use it as it can get quite hot, perhaps hot enough to reduce battery life. If it is new try flattening, then fully charging a few times to see if this brings the battery up to scratch, if that doesn't fix it contact Chord. If it is old, then it needs a replacement battery, or you can remove the battery and hot wire it to run from the USB power input, details are out there on the web, check it is out of warranty first!

That's sounding racist.
... or just an expression of an underlying concern that the world has become too dependent on China as both a manufacturing and an R&D centre? Here's an example. When the world has adjusted to a future with Covid-19 there may be a lot of organisations who look at the their supply chains and sources of investment with an altered perspective. Or should we just sleepwalk into the future?

2 CDs? Your battery is buggered. Should do 10 hours best case, perhaps 6 hours realistically. Chord don't recommend you charge while you use it as it can get quite hot, perhaps hot enough to reduce battery life. If it is new try flattening, then fully charging a few times to see if this brings the battery up to scratch, if that doesn't fix it contact Chord. If it is old, then it needs a replacement battery, or you can remove the battery and hot wire it to run from the USB power input, details are out there on the web, check it is out of warranty first!
I will do a check & see how long battery lasts from full charge!!!
I saw the mod to eliminate the battery on the web ... definitely worth considering.. personally I would like it done "professionally"

Trouble is Chord must have known that most users would have them in static systems & should've recommended against such deployment..

errr... Chord made a portable DAC and intended it to be used portably. The fact that it is good enough to not disgrace a decent static system is a bonus. They make plenty DACs intended for static systems. No doubt if you had one of them you would moan that it doesn’t fit into your pocket.

advertisement

Back