advertisement

Top tips for a soundbar - max £250

@fegs that is helpful as simplicity helps and I don’t need any wifi or Atmos features. Basic improved punchy sound is all I’m after. I Assume it has HDMI to connect it to the Samsung hub.... will take a closer look

Yes it's HDMI to the hub, there's bluetooth connectivity but we had synch issues, HDMI cured that, it links to the TV so no additional remote is required

Just a thought this, but is there any way in which you could accommodate your A/V receiver on your bookshelves, even if it means constructing some sort of platform to place it on? You could then buy something like the Cambridge Audio Minx tiny satellite speakers and a sub easily within your budget. Seems a shame not to use your receiver if it is at all possible as you will definitely get better sound.

Pete

I have a Samsung QLED and the sound isn't great so I connected an old Roth Sub Zero II soundbar by optical to the Samsung hub. It sounds great - just make sure you change the audio to external to defeat the TV sound.

These are all helpful suggestions.
If I can manage to place the AV amp somewhere what are decent mini satellite speaker sets with a small sub?

Not a daft question and the answer is yes. However the the wiring would be a real hassle as it is the opposite end of the room, around a door frame and along a different wall. I have lots of heavy bookshelves too so going under floorboards would be a major headache .

In other words, the Hifi fires down the length of the room. The TV is on a wall firing across the room.

I’m not expecting the same sound quality from films (or even music DVDs) as my Hifi. I listen to music much more than I watch films.

My TV Is a Samsung with one of those fancy slim boxes that has all the connections (plenty of HDMI inc an ARC socket)

if space wasn’t an issue I’d get the Sony 7.1 AV Amp out of the loft (it was well regarded 6 years ago and has lots of HDMI sockets) . I could add a couple of small bookshelf speakers . But I really am short of space.
In that case if your TV has a headphone output, I’d buy a pair of decent quality powered speakers, Genelec would probably be my choice for this, they make some lovely compact models which would wall mount neatly either side of your TV and wouldn’t compromise your space at all. They aren’t going to have masses of bass weight by any stretch, but what they will do is give you much better projection, stereo separation and most importantly, vocal intelligibility, Genelecs are widely used in TV/film editing studios, recording studios etc after all. Using the headphone output on your TV will allow you to maintain remote volume control. Hopefully you can find something in budget but if not, other good powered speakers are out there, Mackie have some really cheap and decent models (well with your budget), is Yamaha and Adam have models at and around your budget... any of these will spank a sound bar.

While OP doesn't have room for the Q Acoustics M2. In my experience it does the job very well. At times I can be surprised by the bass when watching Star Trek Picard. Over the weekend streaming the Jesus Christ Superstar and the Runrig farewell concert the sound was more than acceptable

While OP doesn't have room for the Q Acoustics M2. In my experience it does the job very well. At times I can be surprised by the bass when watching Star Trek Picard. Over the weekend streaming the Jesus Christ Superstar and the Runrig farewell concert the sound was more than acceptable
That’s a new one on me, I didn’t know they existed. I’ve not been disappointed with a Q Acoustics product yet though. It doesn’t look like it’s designed for wall mounting though, I’d imagine you’d have to either stand the TV on it, or put it on a shelf below a TV... interesting product non the less!

Cambridge Audio Minx Min12 satellites just under £100 a pair (special offer at the moment), Cambridge Audio SX 120 sub at £149 (again on special offer). Or if you could stretch to it Cambridge Audio Minx X201 sub which is on special offer for £199 (£100 off). I know it looks like I'm pushing their stuff but I have absolutely no connection with them. Have a look at their website or Richer Sounds.

Pete

The M3 soundbar is a more compact style. The M2 is designed to be on a shelf or directly under the TV if the stand fits. I felt confident buying the M2 because of the reputation Q Acoustics speakers have.

If you’re a Sky subscriber, consider the Sky Soundbox, it’s about the price you mention and far better than anything else at that price point. For non Sky members it retails for around £800.

My two penn'orth. I moved on a pricey Yamaha receiver and Canton 5.1 speaker setup last year to minimise the clutter (and fund a new amp!). Losing a right old jumble of cables. Replaced with a Yamaha soundbar that was on offer at Amazon. One plug, one optical cable, built-in dual subwoofers. While it's not 'proper' surround, it packs a right punch and there are all sorts of adjustable options for sub level, clear speech etc..The subs do a very impressive job.

The M3 soundbar is a more compact style. The M2 is designed to be on a shelf or directly under the TV if the stand fits. I felt confident buying the M2 because of the reputation Q Acoustics speakers have.
They are an excellent company and make excellent products, I have a pair of 3010s on my desk driven by a Linn Majik I and they’re not just good for the money, they can compete with products cost twice (or more) as much. They properly draw you into the music, and keep you listening for hours... and I only paid £27 for mine, open box from Richer Sounds!

And that’s given me an idea, a pair of 3010s on wall brackets driven by a small class D chip (which could slot behind the TV) would also fall well within budget and it would sound excellent.

Practically any soundbar will beat the sound from your telly so I wouldn't sweat it. I bought a Q Acoustics M3 which works well for watching TV and the odd film (surrround sound doesn't do much for Le Circle Rouge....). The M3 may be a bit big for your needs (its 1m wide), so perhaps a Sonos Beam or one of the smaller Bose ones?

Might be above your budget, but a Gen 1 Naim Mu so could be an option. I use one in our cabin, linked to a tv and it’s surprisingly good.

D

Another Q acoustics M2 here. It's the convenience factor that swings it for me, plus I had space for it on a shelf under the telly. It's not Quad 57's and Meridian actives (as per another user here) but I'm with CCtaylor - quite surprising heft when it's there in the programme. It lifts the telly without having an ugly amp etc. Although if it wasn't for the wife that's probably what 'd be doing, but my rig is at the other end of the room and it would all be a faff I can't be arsed with. Cheapest way though - used stuff from here or the bay, Fanny's your Aunt etc.

I bought a Canton soundbase. It slots under the TV and is not too high. Sound quality is decent but nowhere near as good a KEF LS50's with a small NAD 7050 which I have in a different TV set up.

My TV is on a wall so it has no space either side. Also below it is a narrow mantlepiece So a soundbase won’t fit either

My options are a soundbar on the mantelpiece (I can find a small space for a wireless sub) or I have to find a table to put my AV amp on (and I don’t really have that space)

hence my ideal in practical terms is a decent sounding soundbar. I’m not an avid film watcher so I don’t need anything that sounds as good as my Hifi. Just better the. The TV speakers (impact, power, detail)

advertisement

Back