advertisement

Songs that bring a tear to the eye

lordmortlock

Late to the Tannoy party
I’ve been listening to the Katie Pruitt lp a lot recently (cheers @Vinny ) and the last track ‘it’s always been you’ proper gets me going pretty much every time I listen to it. No idea why, possibly the sentiment, possibly the chord pattern.

It got me thinking, what other songs can always do the old ‘there’s something in my eye routine’? Not that many actually, Des’rees ‘I’m kissing you’

James yorkstons ‘woozy with cider’ for some reason

and, more recently, some of Erland coopers output, particularly on Solan Goose and Sule Skerry.

What’s on your list?

Last edited:
S&G - Kathys Song
Tim Buckley - Dolphins

There would be a pile more though it mostly depends on my mood which is usually quite upbeat.
I find some classical pieces especially the likes of Spiegel im Spiegel by Part absolutely destroy me.

There would be a pile more though it mostly depends on my mood which is usually quite upbeat.

Those three in my post can pretty much transcend mood, they usually have that effect irrespective of how I’m feeling. Like you I’m usually pretty upbeat.

You might chuckle, Zoom by Fat Larry's Band - loved that song as a kid and was ways a guilty pleasure whenever I heard it as an adult.

My dad died a couple of years ago through cancer and I looked after him for his last few months. One evening I dropped off my step-brother at football training and my phone rang, my dad just passed away.

Pulled over to get thoughts and head together - turned on the radio and fack me, Zoom starts up and ended up in bits in the car!

I'm the same now whenever I hear it, bloody love that song.

This one for me. Was an absolute wreck for 6 minutes at the Albert Hall once !

Jake, trust you and yours are well in these crazy times. Best, Steve.

Yep, that’d get me going listening live for sure! I’m alright thanks mate, good to hear from you. It’s a been a tough few weeks here, sadly my dad passed away, which has been hard, especially against the current backdrop.

Speaking of which, we played Scott Walkers ‘Farmer in the city’ at his farewell. That might be tricky to listen to without a tear now.

Hows things with you Steve?

Yep, that’d get me going listening live for sure! I’m alright thanks mate, good to hear from you. It’s a been a tough few weeks here, sadly my dad passed away, which has been hard, especially against the current backdrop.

Speaking of which, we played Scott Walkers ‘Farmer in the city’ at his farewell. That might be tricky to listen to without a tear now.

Hows things with you Steve?

Aah, so sorry to hear that fella. Terribly tough at any time but with this current plight as well....Thoughts and wishes go out to you.
All good here thanks. Listening to more tunes than ever right now.

advertisement

Back