advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

Any updates on the book?
If so, did anyone who requested for eMail a mail from John?

Nothing since April 1st. John will correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood that he's working on the FDAC because DevDac is stalled until the lockdown in CzechRep ends. I read elsewhere today that recovery = immunity should not yet be taken for granted, which suggets that politicians will be weighing likely public health outcomes against economic demands. Russian roulette, anyone?

Hand building PCB's ATM for further development - due to circumstances I'm moving forward with software - firmware routes.

I think the main issue at the moment is that if you order something it arrives, very, very, slowly. I needed some M6 bolts to complete the centre speaker project for my TV. Ordered on '3 day' delivery - nothing arrived - contacted seller - they had dispatched by parcelforce 48, so were convinced consignment was 'lost'. They re-dispatched and five days later, they arrived by parcelforce 48 - Job done, new speaker in place.

Today, a week later, another set appeared. Add that sort of delivery to John's relatively slow normal progress and you may see the problem...

I think the main issue at the moment is that if you order something it arrives, very, very, slowly. I needed some M6 bolts to complete the centre speaker project for my TV. Ordered on '3 day' delivery - nothing arrived - contacted seller - they had dispatched by parcelforce 48, so were convinced consignment was 'lost'. They re-dispatched and five days later, they arrived by parcelforce 48 - Job done, new speaker in place.

Today, a week later, another set appeared. Add that sort of delivery to John's relatively slow normal progress and you may see the problem...

I have had three orders from RS components arrive the next day in the last couple of weeks and today took delivery of pcbs from China where the gerbers were sent off last Wednesday.

To balance that, I've had parts last scanned in chicago on the 29th of march disappear into ether. Pcbs from the states have been in the post two weeks. UK stuff, generally next day.

It would be very great news if John's having problems with parts delivery, from last messages I do not think that we already at that stage.

progress/updates were arguably glacial before, so whats new ? :)

not having a go really, just having a wee moan in isolation, royal mail and UPS have messed up for me in recent weeks but plenty of others things to get on with

Here in Czech we have a essential travel / services only = basically we are in lock-down... 4 members of the family are in the high risk group so I'm very mindful of my actions.

Trying to work remotely on the firmware / software without direct access to the lab equipment slows things down, however I'm doing my best to work on what I can...

Component sourcing is currently disastrous - with more and more components out of stock with no quoted delivery times... you only need a single component unavailable and everything stops.. I REALLY worry about the effect for larger electronic companies - its a real mess and its going to be really hard to get things moving again.

The trouble is that electronics components are manufactured / sourced from all over the world, and each location is in different stage of the pandemic... but without all the cogs in the wheel turning I don't see how we (electronics industry) can move forward...

Rest assured, I'm still very much working on the FDAC / DevDAC...

Last edited:
is there any reason why we are getting zero updates form John here or on Facebook ?

last I heard was focus was being targeted on FDAC, and he's not within working distance of a PC with facebook :(

I'm working on with new EDA tools on a PC that has no internet connection - also a very steep learning curve so I'm trying to get as much done as I can under the current circumstances...

After a situation earlier this year where I was tracked via my phone (nothing sinister, but after living under soviet authoritarianism I value personal freedom without state monitoring), I don't use a smart phone so dont have a constant online presence... not that I leave the lab anyway...

In fact it does not matter if your phone is GPS equipped, the cellular service providers use real time cellsite triangulation / tracking for EACH phone user - this database is provided real-time to advertising / anyone they wish... very sad to see that this is allowed to happen...

Working on PCB and software development... its a struggle trying to work remotely spending hours between the hardware / software trying to recreate / debug...

Will soon be in a position to start the the updates to the PCB in the coming week or so...

advertisement

Back