advertisement

My milestone reached : Worst audio buy of my life

audiopile

pfm Member
Pretty obviously -by the time I joined the socially isolated in "Heck-I'll have the time - let's clean a bunch of records" idea -lots of you had scooped up the RCM supplies,Look-there's two bottles of fluid 4 left-hit the buy button. Couple of days go by- decide I better find out what this RCM fluid is ? Light sensitive ,store in frig or a concentrate that's mixed at X dilution? It's water. Quadruple distilled H2O. Heck -my whiskey is only triple distilled. So I guess having avoided buying boutique cabling or MC carts that cost more than I've ever spent on a complete system- this is karmic balance.

Let the needle do the work for now, enjoy listening and leave the cleaning to the hands until all this is over.

Most people use home-made and that and a lot of proprietary solutions contain iso-propyl alcohol, IPA, which is in very short supply currently.

Once things become available again, 800ml standard deionised water from your local supermarket, plus 200ml of standard IPA from EPay or Amazon. Everyone uses their preferred detergent at the rate of a "very few drops" per litre. In reality the detergent probably does rather little as the IPA drops the surface tension of the water substantially and so little is used that its ability to disperse grease is as nothing to the effect of the IPA.

Cleaning records achieves little or nothing on the vast majority of new records in my experience and is of highly debateable benefit if records are returned to storage in the paper sleeves that they were removed from, or even new paper sleeves.

Pretty obviously -by the time I joined the socially isolated in "Heck-I'll have the time - let's clean a bunch of records" idea -lots of you had scooped up the RCM supplies,Look-there's two bottles of fluid 4 left-hit the buy button. Couple of days go by- decide I better find out what this RCM fluid is ? Light sensitive ,store in frig or a concentrate that's mixed at X dilution? It's water. Quadruple distilled H2O. Heck -my whiskey is only triple distilled. So I guess having avoided buying boutique cabling or MC carts that cost more than I've ever spent on a complete system- this is karmic balance.

Have you drank it?

Most people use home-made and that and a lot of proprietary solutions contain iso-propyl alcohol, IPA, which is in very short supply currently.

Once things become available again, 800ml standard deionised water from your local supermarket, plus 200ml of standard IPA from EPay or Amazon. Everyone uses their preferred detergent at the rate of a "very few drops" per litre. In reality the detergent probably does rather little as the IPA drops the surface tension of the water substantially and so little is used that its ability to disperse grease is as nothing to the effect of the IPA.

Cleaning records achieves little or nothing on the vast majority of new records in my experience and is of highly debateable benefit if records are returned to storage in the paper sleeves that they were removed from, or even new paper sleeves.

Really ? Who uses paper sleeves :confused:

Tullamore Dew usually improves my listening - I have a fairly heavily traveled road 20 feet outside my listening room and it's noticeable just how quiet it is nowadays. My postman suggested using my quadruple distilled record cleaning water as a mixer too.

Tullamore Dew usually improves my listening - I have a fairly heavily traveled road 20 feet outside my listening room and it's noticeable just how quiet it is nowadays. My postman suggested using my quadruple distilled record cleaning water as a mixer too.
A few barrels on the road does magic I imagine

Really ? Who uses paper sleeves :confused:

Exactly.

Even if I didn't clean records, the paper sleeve would still be the first thing that I would throw away; they are abrasive, dusty and encourage static every time you remove the record from them. There are plenty of aftermarket sleeves out there. Cleaning records is a bit of a thorny topic here on pfm; you either do it or you don't, it's up to you. I use L'Art du Son, but like others have said, it's easy enough to make up your own recipe (when supplies get back to normal).

advertisement

Back