advertisement

Favourite Hi-Fi Demo Tracks

fegs

pfm Member
Apologies if this as been done before (it's probably been done to death), if it has shout up and I'll delete this thread.

Being new round these parts I'm not sure

I remember 20 or so years ago trawling round the local Hi-Fi shops when I was looking for speakers and weirdly enough most of the shop's "go to" track to showcase speakers was Frozen by Madonna, to be fair i can see why they used it and they probably sold a lot of gear off the back of it.

so imagine your mates are coming round to listen to your set up, what do you put on to impress them
If you've got no mates imagine it's a family member ;)

you can suggest as many as you want , individual tacks , albums whatever

I'll start the ball rolling

Leftfield - leftism (great album for showcasing speakers IMHO)

Kraftwerk - Radioactivity (This sounds amazing using vinyl as a source)

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Classic guitar track which on a decent system sounds immense)

Thanks All

Well I started going to hi-fi shows in 1988 and when I went the Bristol Show the other week they were still demoing kit with some of the same records they were playing 32 years ago.
Starter for 10. Name 10 of those records just for a bit of fun .....

Jazz At the Pawnshop
Dark Side of the Moon
Rickie Lee Jones debut
Journeyman
The Köln Concert
Tracy Chapman debut
Any Naim and Linn records/CDs

I like using a terrible recording as well as good ones. Bob Dylan's John Wesley Harding, whilst being a very good record, sounds like shite.

Well I started going to hi-fi shows in 1988 and when I went the Bristol Show the other week they were still demoing kit with some of the same records they were playing 32 years ago.
Starter for 10. Name 10 of those records just for a bit of fun .....

Michael Jackson ?

Somewhere up the Crazy River - Robbie Robertson.
Not me...the Shows.

I tend to use tracks from different genres that I'm most familiar with.

Paul Simon is never far from the top of my list. Almost any album but particularly Hearts and Bones, which usually ends up being the whole album but if not then at least both Think Too Much tracks.

Others I keep returning to

10,000 Maniacs - Blind Man's Zoo (the last 4 tracks)
Leonard Cohen - Ten New Songs
Maria McKee - Maria McKee
The Blue Aeroplanes - Beatsongs
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love (side 2)
World Party - Goodbye Jumbo
David Sylvian & Ryuichi Sakamoto - World Citizen EP long versions
Nine Horses (Sylvian again) - Snow Borne Sorrow
Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour (side 2)
Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat 20th Anniversary (though played so much in the last thirty-odd years I can tire of it sometimes)

In my day ( :rolleyes: ) it was Joan Armatrading, Supertramp and Pink Floyd.

Not now though .

Paul Simon is never far from the top of my list. Almost any album but particularly Hearts and Bones, which usually ends up being the whole album but if not then at least both Think Too Much tracks.

Others I keep returning to

10,000 Maniacs - Blind Man's Zoo (the last 4 tracks)
Leonard Cohen - Ten New Songs
Maria McKee - Maria McKee
The Blue Aeroplanes - Beatsongs
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love (side 2)
World Party - Goodbye Jumbo
David Sylvian & Ryuichi Sakamoto - World Citizen EP long versions
Nine Horses (Sylvian again) - Snow Borne Sorrow
Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour (side 2)
Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat 20th Anniversary (though played so much in the last thirty-odd years I can tire of it sometimes)

Your not my long lost twin by any chance Above is pretty much my list too.I would add.......

Jennifer Warnes - The Well limited edition on vinyl, Every track is top draw but one of the extra tracks "La Luna Brilla
Is the best for testing kit
Anything off Boris Blanks-Electrified box set.

For the benefit of those who might be reading this and searching for tracks I believe it's Somewhere Down the Crazy River and The Golden Calf.

Incidentally Robbie Robertson produced a couple of the Maria McKee tracks (with a similar big sound), and they were an item for a while.

Anything by The Atrium Musicae de Madrid, especially on LP, especially La Folia - De La Spagna from 1982.

advertisement

Back