advertisement

Boris Johnson in intensive care

They obviously tried to ply down BJs condition while ever they felt it was under control. There is such a thing as Dr/Patient confidentiality so he was within his rights to keep quiet. This is highly sensitive information which could have an effect on the markets.

Why do you need "to know" ?

I think ,when heads of state are involved , news is always moderated by many other factors...factors that are not in play when lesser mortals are ill.

If you died I don't think that they would suspend trading on the US stock exchange but i imagine that they would if Trump dies.

If he ( BJ ) chose to have the bulletins about his health be upbeat so as not to add to the general worry then good for him.

Why do you "need to know" ?
Democracy
Transparency
This is the 21st century

Getting over, once and for all, the regressive idea that the plebs are children who need to be reassured by paternalistic rulers.

etc.

It's hardly as if the misinformation didn't disintegrate on first contact with reality.

Is there anyone else about whom you would like to have daily health bulletins sent to you by email ?

The Queen ? The leader of the opposition ? The dalai lama ?

Definitely the Dalai Lama - it would be good to know when the next tranche of wool will be ready.

From Sky News; According to the World Health Organisation, about 14% of COVID-19 patients will develop symptoms severe enough to need oxygen, and 5% will need intensive care treatment.

The latest figures show that the death rate of those admitted to intensive care in the UK now exceeds 50%.

Is there anyone else about whom you would like to have daily health bulletins sent to you by email ?

The Queen ? The leader of the opposition ? The dalai lama ?

What possible difference would it make to your life to know if BJ is "really poorly" or just poorly ?

I'm not a fan of Johnson, but I am shaken by his condition.

I know he brought it on himself in many ways and his whole life up to now has been one of thinking that he can lie his way out of any situation and get away with it—which he always has until now.

Cameron was visibly changed in his attitude towards the NHS when his son was ill and treated by the service. But it made little difference to the way he ran the country.

I hope that this whole situation might significantly change the attitudes of those that feel that Ayn Rand's writings are the fundamental basis on how we should run society—i.e. those in our current Government.

Stephen

They obviously tried to ply down BJs condition while ever they felt it was under control. There is such a thing as Dr/Patient confidentiality so he was within his rights to keep quiet. This is highly sensitive information which could have an effect on the markets.

They are at it again this morning with silly briefings.

You may think that he normally looks like a rather pasty, significantly overweight middle aged man who is possibly an infrequent visitor to the salad bar. If so, you will be relieved to learn that he is in fact an athlete - regularly kicking Federer's arse on a tennis court and giving stamina lessons to marathon runners. Someone has obviously mistaken those staged arrivals at his doorstep in eccentric running gear for 'jogging'.

I wish him a speedy recovery, certainly a faster one than he could 'run'. But enough of the b/s. We need honest updates on all matters or why should the public not try and second guess every statement? It just wastes time and energy.

Indeed, once on a ventilator the chances of survival seem to be cut dramatically. As mentioned on a thread here, one hospital in the USA has weaned two off vents and a friend of mine who’s an anaesthetist in Kent with all of the vented patients they have had have only managed to recover one.

Come off it Fred, they were not serious comments! Perhaps I should have put an emoji after them!
Seems quite common on here...people do pick up on flippancy a lot. Dry / childish / sarcy / close to the bone humour does have translation issues on forums. That's why I'm so popular on here.

I once said I booted my dog across the room. Of course I never have. But someone took it literally. And called me a ****.

Harry Paterson writes -
"Boris Johnson.

A man who has lived his entire life recklessly, selfishly, irresponsibly; without any regard for the consequences. Because he's never needed to. His enormous privilege has protected him from any repercussions.

He is a proven pathological liar, swaggering through the years with no empathy or concern for anyone but himself. Indeed, recently bragging about shaking hands with Corona virus patients. As if it was just another laugh; a jape; just another moment in a life less honourable.

There is a grim irony to him finally, in this manner, being confronted by the consequences of his behaviour. Even he can't lie & bluster his way out of this mess.

One can only hope that the Prime Minister, as he languishes in intensive care, courtesy of the NHS that he and his party have done so much to destroy, deeply regrets the cheering & jeering doled out to nurses by he and his colleagues; when they voted down a payrise for those heroes. If he's lucky he'll now be finding out exactly how valuable these people are.

My brother, sadly, wasn't lucky.
Jas, 54, died of Covid-19 in Nottingham's Queens Medical Centre a week last Saturday night. Unlike the Prime Minister there was no ventilator for Jas.
'Operation: Last Gasp', right, Prime Minister?

I then stood on an empty street, shouting to be heard over the wind, no privacy, no dignity, to tell an old man on a doorstep his child had died. The most indescribably awful duty I've ever had to carry out.

There will, of course, be those idiots, those hypocrites, those bootlickers, who will condemn me for 'politicising' both my own loss & Boris Johnson's condition. They can't grasp that politicians making political decisions and political choices impact people's lives. And sometimes ends them. As Jas found out.

Do I wish Johnson dead? No. Do I wish dead his selfish and greedy supporters and voters? Those who were perfectly happy to ignore the systematic destruction of the NHS while they were all right Jack? Again, no.

My sympathy, however, remains with the terrified & heartbroken victims of this crisis. The appalling & callous mishandling of which is unavoidably the responsibility of Boris Johnson.

It would be nice to think that lessons will be learned; that, when this is over, an enormous reorganisation of the nation's priorities will be undertaken. By both the politicians and the electorate. That, finally, people concern themselves with the value of others & much less the cost of things.

If Boris Johnson, in any way, might be that catalyst then he will have done one noble thing in his life.

My breath, however, remains unheld".

Democracy
Transparency
This is the 21st century

Getting over, once and for all, the regressive idea that the plebs are children who need to be reassured by paternalistic rulers.

etc.

It's hardly as if the misinformation didn't disintegrate on first contact with reality.
PS: Another more pragmatic reason. It's vital that the public trusts the government in a crisis - our lives might depend on it. Spin and misinformation undermines trust and could cost lives.

I'm not a fan of Johnson, but I am shaken by his condition.

I know he brought it on himself in many ways and his whole life up to now has been one of thinking that he can lie his way out of any situation and get away with it—which he always has until now.

Cameron was visibly changed in his attitude towards the NHS when his son was ill and treated by the service. But it made little difference to the way he ran the country.

I hope that this whole situation might significantly change the attitudes of those that feel that Ayn Rand's writings are the fundamental basis on how we should run society—i.e. those in our current Government.

Stephen
Isn't this the very heart of the problem? Lots of nice words about the NHS but the action falls far short of what's needed.

Boris is by far the best PM we've had in a long time, I reckon since Maggie Thatcher (who, love or hate her, was strong, decisive, and got the country back on its feet after the utterly catastrophic Labour government of the late 70s). Boris has done more good for this country since last summer, and particularly since the last election, than every PM from John Major onwards, mainly by getting us out of the EU. I hope he pulls through, the country needs him.

News this am said oxygen, but not, as yet, on a ventilator.
He may have 'consultants coming out of his arse' ^, but none of them, no matter how posh the Harley St address, can do more for him than they can for the person in the next bed. Ans since there is no vaccine, no cure right now, all anyone can do is help a patient through the process and apply the right machine at the right time. Then it's up to your own body and will.

I hope everyone who is that ill gets better, but sadly, they all cannot. It's shit.
I see a lot of this.

In one respect it's trivially true. There is no known effective treatment for the virus so the patient's immune system has to fight it, unaided.

But in one respect, it's almost certainly false. As you suggest, medics can intervene to prevent acute issues from overwhelming the body while the patient fights the virus, thus buying time - hence ventilators, draining the lungs of fluid, dialysis machines and the whole paraphernalia of ICU. However, those interventions must be timely (it's a matter of life and death), which is why ICUs in normal times have one nurse per patient.

However, I'm seeing reports that, in the midst of the COVID-19 surge, ICU nurses are having to monitor mutliple patients (maybe up to half a dozen) and, while I'm sure their efforts are heroic, it's hard to imagine some patients not falling through the cracks created when people are overstretched.

So it's hard to imagine the PM of the UK is being treated in an overstretched ICU in quite the same way as any other patient. As a minimum, I expect he has dedicated medical staff monitoring his condition and ready to act swiftly if it shows any sign of deteriorating. I make no judgement on whether this is right or wrong. Perhaps it is inevitable, but let's not pretend this virus eliminates all the special treatment that wealth and privilege secures.

Boris is by far the best PM we've had in a long time, I reckon since Maggie Thatcher (who, love or hate her, was strong, decisive, and got the country back on its feet after the utterly catastrophic Labour government of the late 70s). Boris has done more good for this country since last summer, and particularly since the last election, than every PM from John Major onwards, mainly by getting us out of the EU. I hope he pulls through, the country needs him.

I disagree strongly but still wish him a full recovery

Why does many people wish the Johnson, Carrie, unborn kid luck but does most of the people forget that he has an ex wife and 4 kids with her? Are they not important?

Gove says Johnson is not on a ventilator. Which means he probably is.
The chilling prospect is that Gove could now potentially take the office of PM. I think it’s important to separate the office of PM from the holder. Orderly transition of power and a functioning government have to be the national priority.

Boris is by far the best PM we've had in a long time,

Potentially. Unfortunately, he hasn't been allowed to show his full potential. Whilst being an enigmatic choice of leader, a leader he most certainly is, and the country needs a strong and dedicated leader like no time since 1945. If Boris sinks, the country, already constrained, sinks a little; not something anybody needs right now.

I've just read a post which prioritises a change of government. Really? At this time? There are some illogical thinkers out there. Regardless of politics, a strong government and strong leader are primary requirements right now One does have relevance to the other.

advertisement

Back