advertisement

DACs

say it as it is

pfm Member
Ok am completely confused regards DACs or streaming in general.
I have decided I want a seperate dac as it looks like streaming devices the choice is limitless.
So question here is do I spend more than I can afford on a new modern dac or do older used ones make good sense?
I had always fancied a Rega dac or the later DAC-R or the little Cyrus DACX .

Searching about some have suggested that diy parts for a fraction of the price now sound better then established names like those above.

I get the concept that streaming is a little different in that the source is not the limiting factor it's the dac its uses with that gives the output at the amp

Just choose one that has the features you require, for example the first Rega didn’t have a USB input, so you would need a separate usb s/pdif converter.
Keith

I have the Rega DAC and it has USB input, though the DAC-R is apparently an improvement in implementation of it.

Very happy with mine, which is fed optical via a cheapo Behringer 2002 thingamy that does USB to optical conversion from a Mac mini.

Some of the cheap Chinese DACs like Topping and Behringer get good reviews. My Behringer is a DAC too and is pretty good but not as good as the Rega. It seems the difference in quality from budget to high end has narrowed somewhat, so before blowing a stack I'd suggest starting lower down, and if you take advantage of the classifieds here you can try something out and move it on the same way later.

Do you have a budget in mind? There are some very lovely older DACs available second hand and not that expensive (relatively.) Older DACs often have a limited resolution, so it you have a lot of Hi-Res files then that might be a consideration. My lovely Chord DAC64 for example, is limited to 24/96, so I have to down-sample any 24/192 files or I'll just hear white noise. I only have two such files, so not a big deal for me. Aside from that though, I think older DACs is an area of hi-fi where there are still some bargains to be had.

I use a Clamshell Rega IO Dac. Can’t see me changing it any time soon but it only has a Digital Coaxial input!

advertisement

Back