advertisement

B&W speakers. Underrated?

I am a bit biased as the B&W sound suits my ears - I've had a few pairs, but the current 803s I own which are the pre-diamond ones sound fabuloius to me. I use Teddy Pardo amps to drive them. I am fortunate that they are sat away from the walls which is a requirement to get the best from them.

Hi,

I have noticed in a number of forums that there can be a negativity towards b&w speakers. Is this justified? Are they now overlooked and underrated?

My experience is of the lower range, 685 s2 which I think are very good value providing you have the correct electronics. Originally I drove them with a 90 watt marantz amp but it did not pair well, the amp specifically stated to be used only with 8 to 16 ohm speakers and so I am assuming did not have good current delivery.

I upgraded to a rega brio and it made a huge difference. I then decided to upgrade my speakers to neat motive sx3 which were better but definitely not night and day. However they are more than twice the price.

Since then I have moved and have a larger listening environment and also have an Elex-r, in the new room the Neats sound small and now the b&ws sound fantastic, particularly for the cost of them.

I am again looking to upgrade speakers and have been reading several positive reviews, particularly on the 800 series and 705 s2, the latter I am hoping to listen to when the shops reopen. However I feel in the forums the brand is now some what overlooked.

What do others think?

Thanks
What I think is there's too many choices out there and there will be many which will sound great in your room and to your ears. Just go with your heart if you're set on the B&Ws but it may be worthwhile to listen to other alternatives in the similar price range.

FWIW I have been a long time B&W user with the budget CDM 1SE. It only costs £600 retail when I bought it back in 1997. These days they cost a lot more especially the 800 series.

FWIW I have been a long time B&W user with the budget CDM 1SE. It only costs £600 retail when I bought it back in 1997. These days they cost a lot more especially the 800 series.

I've been keeping an eye out for a pair of those as I demo'd a set (also probably back in the late 80's) with something like an Audiolab 8000S and recalled enjoying the set-up, although I went down a different path (entry level Naim) at the time. I reckon they'd be a nice option with the Onix DNA 45.

Love my CM8's, had them a couple of years now as a second hand bargain, paired with my Rotel amplifier they sound wonderful. The amp will be changed next before the speakers as they really suit my room.

Love my CM8's, had them a couple of years now as a second hand bargain, paired with my Rotel amplifier they sound wonderful. The amp will be changed next before the speakers as they really suit my room.
They’re great aren’t they.

Fantastic speakers, had a chance to hear the modern equivalent, the 704 S2 that cost £2000 and I still preferred the CM8. Got mine in mint condition for £540.
Great price. I listened to the second version but no obvious difference in sound. Once placed well they really sing.

I've no experience with recent B&W designs but my 2nd pair of speakers, about 45 years ago, were DM2as.
I had a budget system from my student days and convinced myself that my first speakers (AR 4x) were the weakest link, they probably weren't. Seeing a pair of DM2s at a a very attractive price in the local paper I went and bought them.
They were far too big to fit in with the living room and, due to the limitations of the rest of the system, they didn't really sound any better than the ARs so I sold them on and promptly forgot about them.

Many years later I find myself listening to Shahinian Obelisks fed from an Avondale amplifier (hiding in a Naim case) from a decent LP12 and a couple of years ago we were having some building work done and, rather than leaving the Obs to collect rubbish falling from the ceiling I bought a pair of DM2s from a local ebay seller with a view to using them in a second system, and largely out of curiosity to see how they'd sound on the end of a decent system.

Having put them into the main system whilst the building work was going on I got used to them and felt very happy with the performance, so much so that it was several months before I bothered to put the Obelisks back int place!

Now I'm not saying the DM2s are as good as the Obs, but they could do me quite happily if necessary, and I paid £86 for the pair of DM2s!!

Last edited:
Just reading about the 702 s2 (too much time on my hands I know), b&w specify a amp which produces between 30 - 300 Watts into 8 ohm but they drop to 3.1 ohm and from what I have read are effectively a 4 ohm speaker.

Question - would a rega elex-r be capable of driving these? The Elex-r is rated at 72.5 Watts into 8 ohm and 113 Watts into 4 ohms. Not concerned about the number of Watts as these speakers are very sensitive rated at 90 dB but more concerned around current required, although my understanding is that the Elex-r is capable of driving 4 ohm speakers and this is why rega publish the 4 ohm figure?

For anyone interested there seems to be good discounts available on b&w speakers just now - 700 off these and 350 off the 705s.

Mine are CM8s. They are also effectively a 4 ohm speaker due to their configuration. I drive them with a Yamaha 501.Enough I think though I suspect they may sing even more with a little more power.I have no money at this time but if I were to change I would get the Yammy 801 or 803D and I believe it may be the sweet spot for me. I may try one. The speakers are just right for me and I’m glad I chose them. They are detailed without being overly bright, non fatiguing and with enough base.Best thing about them is that you don’t notice the boxes. The sound has depth, width and a surprising height. And placement of instruments is well defined. My vintage Yammy tuner sound beautiful through them, a slight valve lime quality due to the bloom of the tuner. So listenable.

Just reading about the 702 s2 (too much time on my hands I know), b&w specify a amp which produces between 30 - 300 Watts into 8 ohm but they drop to 3.1 ohm and from what I have read are effectively a 4 ohm speaker.

Question - would a rega elex-r be capable of driving these? The Elex-r is rated at 72.5 Watts into 8 ohm and 113 Watts into 4 ohms. Not concerned about the number of Watts as these speakers are very sensitive rated at 90 dB but more concerned around current required, although my understanding is that the Elex-r is capable of driving 4 ohm speakers and this is why rega publish the 4 ohm figure?

For anyone interested there seems to be good discounts available on b&w speakers just now - 700 off these and 350 off the 705s.

I am sure it would sound great , they are great speakers . go for it with the rega .

from a review

Out of perverse curiousity I started listening to the 702 with a Rega Brio amplifier connected with Naim NACA5 cable, a speedy but potentially savage tonal combination that presented lots of detail and impressively low bass rumble but was a little too fierce through the midband. Switching to my regular Townshend Fractal F1 speaker cable brought significant rewards in all areas including timing and detail, these speakers are nothing if not revealing of partnering equipment. Likewise they let you know what’s going on in the music with a fair degree of precision, unveiling the various instruments on the Cowboy Junkies debut album to engaging effect.

Moving up to a rather more weighty amplifier in the ATC P2 with Allegri preamplifier brought an ease and subtlety to the sound that you only get with more power, now things were starting to get very interesting, especially when it came to voice. I had a brief demonstration of Kevlar versus Continuum in 600 series models last month and the difference was not small, the new cone makes everything clearer, cleaner and more controlled. It makes what came before sound surprisingly noisy which is not something I have associated with B&Ws in the past and suggests that the (secret) new material is considerably better suited to this application.

http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/bowers-wilkins-702-s2-floor-standing-loudspeaker

I salvaged a pair of DM2s from the skip my parents nearly put them in when they moved house a couple of years back, replacing my Neat Motive 2s. They a lot bigger than the motives, but thankfully fit (just about). The sound from them, connected to a Rotel 1552mk2 power amp is quite enjoyable. Been wondering about getting them refurbished at some point, but have dithered on the basis of not fixing what isn't broken.

from a review

Out of perverse curiousity I started listening to the 702 with a Rega Brio amplifier connected with Naim NACA5 cable, a speedy but potentially savage tonal combination that presented lots of detail and impressively low bass rumble but was a little too fierce through the midband. Switching to my regular Townshend Fractal F1 speaker cable brought significant rewards in all areas including timing and detail, these speakers are nothing if not revealing of partnering equipment. Likewise they let you know what’s going on in the music with a fair degree of precision, unveiling the various instruments on the Cowboy Junkies debut album to engaging effect.

Moving up to a rather more weighty amplifier in the ATC P2 with Allegri preamplifier brought an ease and subtlety to the sound that you only get with more power, now things were starting to get very interesting, especially when it came to voice. I had a brief demonstration of Kevlar versus Continuum in 600 series models last month and the difference was not small, the new cone makes everything clearer, cleaner and more controlled. It makes what came before sound surprisingly noisy which is not something I have associated with B&Ws in the past and suggests that the (secret) new material is considerably better suited to this application.

http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/bowers-wilkins-702-s2-floor-standing-loudspeaker

Thank you.

This is very encouraging.. Currently trying to arrange a home demo of the 702 and 705.. Will compare both with my amp. Confident my amp will be fine with the 705 so should be able to compare and hear whether it struggles at all with the larger ones.

Will let you know how I get on.

These were stupendous but I had a cavernous listening room.
38358337665_e58fc128ec_b.jpg

Have the 702s arriving this afternoon on demo so looking forward to hearing what they can do.

Slightly concerned the Mrs might think they are a bit big.

So also considering the 705 and 704s - they are approximately the same price - has anyone directly compared?

I am keen to take advantage of the 20% discount b&w are running should I like the 700 series, only issue is my dealer doesn't have the 705 available for demo, so I would be taking a punt if I did go for them.

Thanks

advertisement

Back