advertisement

roon - has the bug worn off yet?

Doesn't really need to be expensive, i built a 2TB SSD QNAP roonserver for £650, which consists of a QNAP TS-251+8GB RAM & 2x1TB Sandisk ultra II SSDs.

Thanks - I am not too well up on this stuff. The cost (which I baulked at and did nothing) was £1435 for a QNAP TS-473 with 1 x 250GB SSD for Roon, 2 x WRed 6TB in RAID 1 and a further 6TB for backups. That was the spec 'recommended' on Roon's website.

The setup you have mentioned is ideally what I was after.

It works perfectly fine, no lag, nothing to worry about. I use a 2TB USB HDD drive for backup which was £65 from Currys.

I just did a quick look at Amazon and, again, that model with 2 x 2TB SSD's (I'd need 2TB) is tickling £1k. Slightly less in other places.

As an aside - does Roon need its own volume or can it sit on the same volume as music files? Sorry for the slight thread diversion.

You don't need 2x 2TB to have 2 TB. Use just one slot or use 2x 1TB SSDs Raid is pointless in this scenario, just use A USB HDD for periodic backup

As an aside - does Roon need its own volume or can it sit on the same volume as music files? Sorry for the slight thread diversion.

No worries!

I have both the 1TB SSDs configures as 1 drive and roon sits on this yes, along with everything else. I've created folders and shares to suit.

Tried it twice, one year long subscription and a second trial, back to BluOS. If music discovery is important fair enough, but I read a ton of reviews online and know well in advance what I want to listen to. Plus I rarely spent any time with the interface anyhow, put an album on then end up browsing forums while I'm listening!

It doesn’t display the metadata from RP if you use the FLAC stream as there’s no metadata in it. If you make one of the 320 streams the default, you’ll get it.

Mick

LMS displays metadata with the FLAC stream, so I don't see why Roon can't.

I tried Roon on a free subscription some time ago. I couldn't get RP FLAC streams to work at the time, and as RP is over 50% of our listening, and LMS works 'perfectly' I saw no reason to pay for something I can get for free / opensource.

I quite liked the Roon interface and search facilities and the way it integrated my ripped collection with Tidal, but I generally find an album, set it playing and then listen to it. I don't need loads of information whilst I'm doing so.

Was an early adopter of Roon, going back to pre-release. Bought a lifetime license shortly after release. 5 years later, whilst I still use it (it replaced LMS as my music server), beyond providing a basic UI to my local library it’s become irrelevant to me and if I did not already have a lifetime I would definitely not be a user. There are way too many half-assed aspects to it that make using it an unpleasant chore for anything more than point and click to play something. It started out with a lot of promise, but I think the product owners now lack inspiration and vision and have lost their way. It should’ve been a great product, sadly in their hurry to focus on cloud and machine learning it’s turned into a mess of half-baked, partially and/or poorly implemented ideas which it seems they’ve no intention to address.

My usage is pretty basic, I just select the music I want to listen to, either from Tidal, my local library or internet radio, click on it & it plays.
I don’t see any “half assed aspects making it an unpleasant chore to use”, neither do I see any “half baked poorly implemented ideas”.
I’ve only been using it for about a year, so I can’t compare it to it’s earlier versions.
Maybe I’m missing something?

A pretty interface and some education on the artist/s you're listening too. Plus roon radio (random play) via your preferred online subscription based on the genres you last listened too
Ah okay, I’m quite happy with the Linn Kazoo interface, it works really well for me. I tend to explore music a lot anyway, Qobuz do throw suggestions at you.

I can’t see me spending £699 on it when I can buy a Linn streamer for that and use their (well sorted) interface.

The Linn streamers are actually Roon ready but I can’t see why anyone would pay that kind of money for a third part UI.

To be fair, they put it up to that price because they don’t really want anyone paying it. They really need the steady income of annual subscriptions. The next step will be to remove the life option. I’m an early days lifer anyway, I’m happy enough with it for my needs.

I doubt my Roon bug will wear off anytime soon. I’ve set up a number of rooms, and have loaded the app on all of our devices. Mrs. Hook loves that she can listen to music in different rooms. Best of all she says, because the user interface doesn’t change, she rarely has to ask me for assistance.

advertisement

Back