advertisement

Battery powered amplifier.

Gridlock

Hi. A chance has come up to live self sufficiently off the grid and I'm on the look out for a new energy efficient setup. I've narrowed it down to an intel NUC that can run on 12v for a computer / streamer, a Chord hugo 2 to replace an auralic altair G1, as the hugo has it's own batteries and can be recharged from a 5v usb phone charger battery cell if needed during use, but the amp I'm struggling with. At the moment I have a Linn C2200 and would want to sell that to fund the new amp so £8-900 and it would preferably be able to run off the same 12V battery as the NUC to keep it all simple. I've spotted the temple audio bantam gold but are there any other amps anyone knows of that I may be missing. I'd like to avoid the cheap ebay tripath amps from China if possible as I've tried one (SMSL SA-98E) and wasn't impressed in the long run. My speakers are proac response d25s which seem to be a fairly easy load.

That is not energy efficient, even opposite. They get hot in the process, so probably quite a lot of battery is wasted.

Self sufficency with the comforts of home? How about a coil, cyrystal diode and ex wd headphones....zero power. Quality leaves a lot to be desired Apologies, I remember doing this as a boy with very litle money..Dad had a wind up gramophone with 78rpm records. For a few hundred pounds buy a pile of 78's, and a vintage gramophone, the counsel models include an extended horn, almost hi fi in their day.
Must have been 1947. I was about 10:D

That is not energy efficient, even opposite. They get hot in the process, so probably quite a lot of battery is wasted.

Pick the right one and well over 90% efficiency is possible.

What are you using to generate the power in the first place? How efficient is that? I'll bet that that generates heat too.

Stick with the mains set-up and when you get sick of "self sufficiency" you won't have to buy new again.

Self sufficency with the comforts of home? How about a coil, cyrystal diode and ex wd headphones....zero power. Quality leaves a lot to be desired Apologies, I remember doing this as a boy with very litle money..Dad had a wind up gramophone with 78rpm records. For a few hundred pounds buy a pile of 78's, and a vintage gramophone, the counsel models include an extended horn, almost hi fi in their day.
Must have been 1947. I was about 10:D

You would be amazed at how good some of those wind-up gramophones can sound.

You would be amazed at how good some of those wind-up gramophones can sound.

It would be interesting to compare a vintage gramophone, with a soundbox, tin horn and box of needles, shellac 78 records with modern hi fi, my recollection is that it did sound 'tinny'. We later graduated to a console RGD stereo radiogram, which played LP's, 45's and 78, with a valve amp, and walnut veneered case. I think that would sound closer to a modern hi fi. However listening to music and the radio was an occasion, not a background noise. It must have been a passion for my dad, as he was a durham miner, not very well paid. I guess the concept of off grid has different meanings, which depends on our personal view of the world. I digress.....again.
Tony L as an indulgence could we have a spell checker, it would help us poor illiterate ejuneers:D

You say you want to avoid Ebay chip amps, I have to wonder why. I have one based on a TPA 3116, it was loose change and sounds great. As others say, a car amp will also work well.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I doubt I'll get sick of self sufficiency as I grew up 'off the grid' and have wanted to get back to it for quite a while, the opportunity has arrived. I have heard of inverters, more to go wrong. My experience tells me, keep it simple. All power will come from solar and wind. I'll look into vinnie rossi, thanks strictly stereo.

You need one of these mate......and a hefty bank balance:D
https://stromtank.com

Screen-Shot-2016-12-28-at-23.06.32-1080x939.jpg

My brother runs off grid mainly on Solar though he has recently acquired a 1Kw wind turbine. He doesn`t run much direct off the batteries, using an invertor is simpler and the larger ones are very efficient. His main problem is that in the middle of winter the Solar charging time is very short and worse if it is an overcast day - he has to shed load in order to keep the freezer running as that is essential. It was touch and go this winter but the new wind turbine should simplify things in the future.

advertisement

Back