advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a text message from ‘UK_Gov’ saying:

GOV.UK ALERT
CORONAVIRUS
New rules in force now: you must stay at home. More info and exemptions at gov.uk/coronavirus
Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives

Everyone else receiving it? Spose perhaps it will reach some people who had been under an entire pile of rocks until now.

GOV.UK ALERT
CORONAVIRUS
New rules in force now: you must stay at home. More info and exemptions at gov.uk/coronavirus

Everyone else receiving it? Spose perhaps it will reach some people who had been under an entire pile of rocks until now.
Only if they have a mobile phone

GOV.UK ALERT
CORONAVIRUS

My phone has just pinged with one this minute. Still no indication whether I make the official ‘at risk’ list or not though.

Our building site finally closed this morning though I gather from friends and workmates in the trade that other sites are still open at the moment though i'm certain this will just be temporary.

I really feel for the employees of Wetherspoons which I doubt will be the only company adopting a similar stance this leaves many without any pay for a month or more. I myself am one of the millions of people forced into self employment purely because of the trade or skills that I have I'm a Bricklayer who has worked exclusively for the same company for 18 months previously I've worked for the same company for 3 or 4 years, these companies stop my tax at source and pay me an hourly fixed rate but because I'm classed as self employed I get no holiday or sick pay of any kind.

Luckily at 50 years old and without any children my partner and I have been able to put money by but I work with many men both younger and of a similar age who have families who live from pay check to pay check and are like me classed as 'self employed'.

I'm all for this 'lockdown' to my mind it's the only way of halting the spread of this virus but this government has put millions of self employed men and women essentially out of work for lets be honest at least month without any financial help.

More evidence for the mother of all public inquiries:

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1242353335220539392

ET25xXrWsAAWsnq

ET25xXnXQAATxI-

What a bad time to have a clown, advised by a crackpot eugenicist, as our leader.

Not that there's ever a good time.
Genuinely terrifying. To be read alongside that Times article from Sunday:

This on Boris Johnson in the Sunday Times piece may be more damning than the Cummings section.

“For two months the government had time to prepare, but Johnson’s instincts were to resist a life-changing crackdown. ‘There was a lot of talk about how this was just a bit of flu.’”

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1242183192897097742?s=20

My phone has just pinged with one this minute. Still no indication whether I make the official ‘at risk’ list or not though.

The advice I've been seeing since last Tuesday (on the NHS website and quoted elsewhere) is that only severe asthmatics are high risk. This means around 4% of asthmatics for whom inhalers and oral steroids don't work, and whose daily life is highly compromised as a result. I understand that anyone who is in the high risk category will be written to by their GP.

If it helps to reassure you, I've come to the conclusion that I've already had the virus with mild symptoms. I am lifelong asthmatic on a moderate dose of inhaled steroids and am at the doctors at least twice a year for additional oral steroids.

In the evening the Thursday before last I suddenly became aware of being short of breath, and had a wave of chills that night. In hindsight I was also feeling really out of sorts that day at work, but had put it down to stress / anxiety. The breathlessness lasted about a week, during which time I also got a mild conjunctivitis with both eyes gummed up. On Monday last week I was unable to take part in the weekly QC session at work, which involves tasting around 80 coffees, as my sense of taste / smell had gone completely awry. All of these things have now cleared up.

In three separate articles (by medical professionals) I've seen 'viral breathlessness', 'conjunctivitis', and 'loss of sense of taste / smell' given as as symptoms of a mild dose of COVID-19.

I’d remove any food waste you have in your green bin and put in the black bin.

apart from the stench if it’s left it’ll be a vermin magnet.

My mate who is high risk had his "high risk" text message yesterday morning. It came direct from the NHS.

There's a most vulnerable group and then a high risk group, the latter has examples but includes everyone normally offered a flu jab

I’m definitely in the latter as I get a flu jab, have twice-annual asthma and diabetes reviews, annual retina checks etc. I was kind of hoping to be in the former as apparently they get help with shopping etc, which given the current lack of any slots on Tesco & Asda might be useful.

PS I’ve always been frugal, saved, built up a reserve etc. Never went on holidays, never had a family, a car or any of the other bottomless pits others throw money down. I saved for nightmares like this, yet now I find my money is useless and I can not even buy even bare essentials. In the last two home deliveries I have had all pasta and tinned tomatoes removed from my basket, and before they vanished they were limited far more than I’d have liked given it being my most used food (I’m a lazy veggie, so its quick, easy and healthy food). I’ve still got some (under a Kg), plus I’ve managed to stockpile rice to a reasonable degree so I’m probably good for a month or more. I really do think home deliveries should now be limited to the ‘at risk’ category.

I’m definitely in the latter as I get a flu jab, have twice-annual asthma and diabetes reviews, annual retina checks etc. I was kind of hoping to be in the former as apparently they get help with shopping etc, which given the current lack of any slots on Tesco & Asda might be useful.

PS I’ve always been frugal, saved, built up a reserve etc. Never went in holidays, never had a family, a car or any of the other bottomless pits others throw money down, yet now I find my money is useless and I can not even buy even bare essentials. In the last two home deliveries I have had all pasta and tinned tomatoes have been removed from my basket, and before they vanished they were limited far more than I’d have liked given it being my most used food (I’m a lazy veggie, so its quick, easy and healthy food). I’ve still got some (under a Kg), plus I’ve managed to stockpile rice to a reasonable degree so I’m probably good for a month or more. I really do think home deliveries should now be limited to the ‘at risk’ category.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ng-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

Then there is the social distancing advice which covers the ordinarily vulnerable, you'd certainly be in that group from what you've said - on a number of counts!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

I really do think home deliveries should now be limited to the ‘at risk’ category.

Absolutely! Look out for the volunteer groups too, they'll be a blessing...

In Denmark the official figures are:

1577 infected people [not even close to what the true number of infected people is likely to be]
302 in hospital
69 in intensive care
58 in respirators
32 deaths

Our respirator capacity stands at 1050 (or so) for a population of 5.5 million people.

We are very similar to you size wise. My understanding is you are better organized and prepared for this. Our deaths touch wood are still very low. Hopefully we mirror your results at worst. Is testing widespread in Denmark?

The advice I've been seeing since last Tuesday (on the NHS website and quoted elsewhere) is that only severe asthmatics are high risk. This means around 4% of asthmatics for whom inhalers and oral steroids don't work, and whose daily life is highly compromised as a result. I understand that anyone who is in the high risk category will be written to by their GP.

If it helps to reassure you, I've come to the conclusion that I've already had the virus with mild symptoms. I am lifelong asthmatic on a moderate dose of inhaled steroids and am at the doctors at least twice a year for additional oral steroids.

In the evening the Thursday before last I suddenly became aware of being short of breath, and had a wave of chills that night. In hindsight I was also feeling really out of sorts that day at work, but had put it down to stress / anxiety. The breathlessness lasted about a week, during which time I also got a mild conjunctivitis with both eyes gummed up. On Monday last week I was unable to take part in the weekly QC session at work, which involves tasting around 80 coffees, as my sense of taste / smell had gone completely awry. All of these things have now cleared up.

In three separate articles (by medical professionals) I've seen 'viral breathlessness', 'conjunctivitis', and 'loss of sense of taste / smell' given as as symptoms of a mild dose of COVID-19.

I arrived back from Spain at the end of January and 48 hours later I was floored by what I thought was a bad case of the Flu I too am astmhatic and was so short of breath for about 2 days that I very nearly went to hospital. My partner was also ill with a persistent and terrible cough both of us also had fevers.
I cannot say for sure because I have not been tested but in light of the fact that reports are now saying that Covid-19 could have arrived in both Italy and Spain as early as December I do wonder if we too have had this Virus.

Like most people I get a small dose of Flu most years but none has ever effected my chest/breathing in this way. My asthma is controlled by taking twice daily puffs on a brown inhaler and very, very rarely by using a blue one but during that illness back in January the blue inhaler did nothing to help the symptoms and felt like I was inhaling ground glass.

PS I’ve always been frugal, saved, built up a reserve etc. Never went on holidays, never had a family, a car or any of the other bottomless pits others throw money down. I saved for nightmares like this, yet now I find my money is useless and I can not even buy even bare essentials. In the last two home deliveries I have had all pasta and tinned tomatoes removed from my basket, and before they vanished they were limited far more than I’d have liked given it being my most used food (I’m a lazy veggie, so its quick, easy and healthy food). I’ve still got some (under a Kg), plus I’ve managed to stockpile rice to a reasonable degree so I’m probably good for a month or more. I really do think home deliveries should now be limited to the ‘at risk’ category.

Tony
Morrison’s are offering pre packed, no choice boxes of food for either vegetarians or meat eaters for next day delivery for £35.
It’ll be a great idea once the website opens again!

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/morrisons-doing-boxes-meat-veg-17971452

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back