advertisement

Bluesound Node 2 connections

Linnovice

pfm Member
Morning all. I seem to have developed an odd problem with my node 2. I cannot seem to get a digital connection over 0.5m optical. I try and output to a Sony MDS E10 and Tascam DA30 MkII, one coax and the other optical but can’t get any signal in either (they are about 3m away from the Node). If I go direct into my DAC with the optical at about 0.5m it’s good. It’s been ok in the past over the longer distance but not now.
Any ideas?

No, not that I am aware of, and I realise how daft that sounds. When it’s connected the red light core is apparent and strong (doesn’t seem to flicker though, should it?). I’ve tried two other coax cables. One 75 ohm and one VanDamm audio cable, neither makes a connection. It just seems very odd that both methods fail over a longer distance.
There’s been an upgrade by Bluesound recently, I’m starting to wonder if that’s got anything to do with it. Has anyone experienced any problems?

There’s been an upgrade by Bluesound recently,

Did the connections work after the upgrade ? (ie have they failed since working ?)

Can you reselect the output settings in the software ?

Switch it off and then on ;) allow a few minutes of down time to discharge stuff

ronnie

Check your connections first. Then check the input on the Tascam. I can't recall if you have to change anything on the Node 2 to send the signal out to the digital connection. One more thing is to check the volume level on the Node 2. I had these problems when I connected my Tascam DR100 MK3 to my Node 2!

Sorry if this is obvious, but I have sometimes found that after a restart of the Node 2 that the dac needs to also be restarted to get a lock.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ve tried restarting the node to no avail. It’s not going out to a DAC usually, direct to the minidisc a dat machines. They have their own dacs in them.
It’s really odd, I think a trip to the dealer may we’ll be necessary.

Is the digital output of the Node set to a sample frequency that the minidisc doesn’t support? The minidisc may only like 44.1kHz.

Ahhh! Mark you may just have hit the nail! When the node is outputting to my DAC it’s fine, the DAC handles up to 192kHz. I subscribe to Qobuz and some of their hires files come down at 96kHz. Is it possible the Sony’s E10 and Tascam will not handle these files when fed direct from the node 2? The message that both machines display is “Din Unlock”, could this be a file mismatch?

Well done Mark. That was exactly the problem! I’ve connected all up again and streamed BBC R3 and all is good. Don’t think I would ever have thought of that one. Blindingly bloody obvious when I think now though. Doh!

I assume CD quality from Qobuz works fine too, the albums show which is which so should be easy to test and confirm.

You assume correctly, CD quality albums work fine.As does Radio Paradise and I suspect, all the other streamed radio services.

I’m glad to be of help. The ‘Din Unlock’ message can indeed mean the device doesn’t like the sampling frequency (means digital input can’t lock onto the signal). You may find an option to down-sample the digital output of the Node.

advertisement

Back