advertisement

The Knock-Down, Drag-Out, LP12 3rd Party Parts List

Stack Audio's Serene top plate, bottom cover, sub-chassis & arm board deserve to be listed. Good value IMO.

Besides their sub-chassis, Hercules power supply and DC motor drive system, Mober also make an LP12 bearing.

DIY should not be excluded as it can save an enormous amount of money, and many forum members enjoy this aspect of the hobby.

Two new power supplies:

1. scobham has a one board supply for AC synchronous motors operating over the range of 120 V to 12 V. It features tachometer speed control and can use the existing Valhalla switch. New production runs will have a 40 mm diameter inner hole so should fit internally even with Karousel bearing installed.

2. Pyramid has a 4 phase controller for driving AC motors.

Vinyl passion are now selling a replacement for the valhalla board but with 33 and 45 speed selection and much improved performance, worth considering, Mark Sears spent nearly five years developing.

It's interesting you find the Funk upgrades most appealing or "technically sound".

You do have to take into consideration that they advocate for the biggest *design* changes over and above execution implementation. They don't say "Same design, different materials, better for reasons x, y, z" but rather "this is how we would redesign the table". I'm not saying they're wrong, I haven't heard any of their stuff. Of course the DC motor thing was a boon for them, but proposing to put the motor onto the subchassis is for sure a point of major contention and debate....and then it's interesting that their biggest upgrade puts the motor BACK onto the top plate but in a different spot (I think I have it right if I'm interpreting a rather 1995-esque website correctly and looking at the pictures right). Also when you go top of the line from them, the added pulleys change the overall design yet again....it's a lot to consider.

I'd like to hear one like that though. No way to know what you're dealing with until you hear it.

I had an 'LP 12' with the full Funkfirm Vectored set up. Top plate, sub chassis with their motor attached, the pulleys and their psu. Financial hiccup meant I had to part with it. Trounced any of the many and varied LP 12 set ups that have graced the wall shelf.
As to psu's, Funk apart, I found a d.i.y. Geddon far preferable to any Lingos that passed thru.
Have to say I was an early entrant to the Vector set up but received numerous upgrades free of charge from Arthur as it developed.
Price then was rather less scary than it is now.

Vinyl passion are now selling a replacement for the valhalla board but with 33 and 45 speed selection and much improved performance, worth considering, Mark Sears spent nearly five years developing.

There's nothing on their website but I did see a picture on their eBay shop - looks very interesting - though with some rather ‘spectacular’ marketing type claims regarding its performance.

I had an 'LP 12' with the full Funkfirm Vectored set up. Top plate, sub chassis with their motor attached, the pulleys and their psu. Financial hiccup meant I had to part with it. Trounced any of the many and varied LP 12 set ups that have graced the wall shelf.
As to psu's, Funk apart, I found a d.i.y. Geddon far preferable to any Lingos that passed thru.
Have to say I was an early entrant to the Vector set up but received numerous upgrades free of charge from Arthur as it developed.
Price then was rather less scary than it is now.
What did the vector do for the sound cf the original Linn drive? Was the D.C. motor part of vector or separate? If that was the case, what did you make of D.C. ?

There's nothing on their website but I did see a picture on their eBay shop - looks very interesting - though with some rather ‘spectacular’ marketing type claims regarding its performance.

Click the hyperlink to the “main” site and you’ll find it there....

The Heed PS is called the Orbit. I think there was a version 1 and 2. The version 1 is single speed and version 2 will do two speeds.

Yes he's certainly making some bold claims, I would recommend a demonstration before purchase but the feedback from early adopters looks very good, must be worth a look for £399 fitted.

What did the vector do for the sound cf the original Linn drive? Was the D.C. motor part of vector or separate? If that was the case, what did you make of D.C. ?

The D.C. motor was part of the kit. o.i.m.o. I heard things on albums that I'd not noticed before, better detail retrieval I suppose and seemed lighter on it's feet :) As to p.s.u's, Arthur insisted on sending the upgraded p.s.u, (waste of postage I thought not expecting much difference). How wrong I was. Still regret selling it but fetched way more than any of my other tables would have and was a case of needs must.

I still have one of the Funk Vectored Linn LP12's with the DC motor etc and need to set it up with a different tonearm now. In terms of sound it's definitely good on pitch, dynamics and one of the best sounding turntables I have owned and keeping it in the collection along with the Voyd's. Thinking of fitting a Bruer tonearm on it or the Funk F.X.R 2.

The Heed PS is called the Orbit. I think there was a version 1 and 2. The version 1 is single speed and version 2 will do two speeds.

I have the Heed Orbit 1 on my LP12 (very good too!) - it does offer both 33 and 45.

I think that the difference between the Orbit 1 and Orbit 2 is that the 1 connection to the motor was a solder connection - I had the go inside the deck to make the connection - the 1 has a plug socket to plug your deck in to.

EDIT: you got me thinking, I have just looked it up and the very early Orbit 1 was single speed but that must have been well over ten years ago.

I have the Stack Audio top plate, subchassis and armboard on my LP12 which has a Mose PS and Nima/Denon DL110. Not heard any of the other options but its a big improvement on the original Linn top plate, subchassis and armboard that it replaced. To me it just sounds cleaner/clearer, with less surface noise and more natural.

You don't have a category for this (yet) but I just received (but have not installed) a "Stainless Steel Sub Platter SSP12 for Linn LP12 with ball bearing at shaft tip" from an ebay supplier in Hong Kong. The part has a single ball bearing at the tip of the shaft and replaces the whole inner platter. Read somewhere about how great it is but haven't had time to try it yet. Doesn't seem to have a brand name - maybe just Hong Kong inner platter?

Thanks for that info. Didn't know the name of it. The ebay price was $280 plus shipping but he was having a sale left over from January so immediately refunded me $50! Might still be going on.

advertisement

Back