advertisement

When things don't quite go right.

Are the fixings into the brick or the mortar? Bricks are preferable to the mortar. You have no idea what is behind the finished mortar.

The fixings are into brick. The only way the brick will split is if the holes are too large and near the edges of the brick, through the frog or the mortar is weak. Also significant over tightetning can cause a the brick to crack. I do not have any problems with the brick splitting.

The issue with the plastic plugs is they can deform more under excessive load or if the hole is a little too large. If that load causes the screw to tilt it can then break as it is in both tension and shear at the same time. Because of the metal sleeve of the bolt and a correctly sized hole it cannot tilt so is more secure. Also the bolt itself is a little thicker than the screws.

My speakers are wall mounted out of necessity in the room that doubles as an office and the occaisional guest bedroom. The speakers are Legacy Audion studio HD's. These are fairly hefty for a bookshelf design.

When originally mounted one fell off having worked the bracket away from the wall and sheared two of the four screws holding it in place. This was after about 6 months in place. So logically I changed all of the screws to larger ones and thought this should be OK. For about three years this was working. Then two weeks ago one did the exact same thing. a bit of damage to the wall, skirting board and the foot of my Desktop PC. As it was the same speaker both times the cabinet is showing the evidence of its attempts at acrobatics.

Drastic measures were called for. I replaced the uprated fixings with mechanical expanding anchors, four bolts per speaker. If the thing falls down now it is likely to take the wall with it!

A good job the speaker cabinets are solid and well made as they still work properly. An emotionally painful lesson.

IMG_20200314_175401 by Milan Vjestica, on Flickr

MVIMG_20200314_180911 by Milan Vjestica, on Flickr

IMG_20200314_180920 by Milan Vjestica, on Flickr

MVIMG_20200314_180928 by Milan Vjestica, on Flickr

IMG_20200314_181133 by Milan Vjestica, on Flickr

For anyone curious about the system;

Room set up is certainly not optimal and there is very little room treatment. The image on the wall is stuffed with old towels and backed with a sheet of plastic. The rug, with underlay, is the best upgrade in the room. Behind the listening position (where I took the image from) is a pair of cushions that sit just behind my ears. Out of image to the near right of the room, close to the TT is a sub woofer, you can just amke out the top corner.

System is;

• LP12, Cirkus, Nima, Dynavector DV20XL, Heed Orbit PS, Heed Questar MC Phono
  • Laptop running JRiver and Tidal (also using Bubble via Tablet for Tidal)
  • Arcam rDac with TeraDak PSU
  • Chord Mojo
  • Schiit Magni Headphone Amp
  • Electrocompaniet ECI-3 Integrated Amplifier
  • Mostly Mogami interconnects (the Mojo uses a Belkin) and Mogami speaker cables
  • Legacy Audion Studio HD speakers
  • JM Lab Chorus SW700 sub
  • Ultrasone Pro 550 Headphones
  • Sennheiser Momentum 2 Headphones
For the photographers looking all the images are snaps with a Google

Why dont you put them on stands. There seems to be space on either side of your table. Your setup is not ideal and doesn't do justice to your lp12. Your speakers should not point downwards.

The mirror on the left must cause some horrible reflections. If you can maybe put some sound dampening. (Egg cones etc) . Also place a curtain over the window.

You will improve your system.

Im not knocking your system. Just wanted give you advice on getting the best out of it.

Cheers

Hi Raj,

The mirriors on the left are sliding doors so I cannot add anything to them on the outside. I agree they may cause reflections. The idea of curtains is interesting. The blinds are actually wood so they offer better sound absorbtion than the plastic slats normally found on blinds. That window is also only half as to thr right, out of view is another window the same size.

The spearkers can't go onstands due to the layout of the room and access to the storage on the left. Perhaps I will add a shot in the other direction when I get home.

Chemical anchors don’t try and split the brick like expanding bolts do. If the bolts fail they’re your option of last resort, also useful if trying to anchor into breeze block.

advertisement

Back