advertisement

When things don't quite go right.

Milan

pfm Member
My speakers are wall mounted out of necessity in the room that doubles as an office and the occaisional guest bedroom. The speakers are Legacy Audion studio HD's. These are fairly hefty for a bookshelf design.

When originally mounted one fell off having worked the bracket away from the wall and sheared two of the four screws holding it in place. This was after about 6 months in place. So logically I changed all of the screws to larger ones and thought this should be OK. For about three years this was working. Then two weeks ago one did the exact same thing. a bit of damage to the wall, skirting board and the foot of my Desktop PC. As it was the same speaker both times the cabinet is showing the evidence of its attempts at acrobatics.

Drastic measures were called for. I replaced the uprated fixings with mechanical expanding anchors, four bolts per speaker. If the thing falls down now it is likely to take the wall with it!

A good job the speaker cabinets are solid and well made as they still work properly. An emotionally painful lesson.

IMG_20200314_175401 by Milan Vjestica, on Flickr

MVIMG_20200314_180911 by Milan Vjestica, on Flickr

IMG_20200314_180920 by Milan Vjestica, on Flickr

MVIMG_20200314_180928 by Milan Vjestica, on Flickr

IMG_20200314_181133 by Milan Vjestica, on Flickr

For anyone curious about the system;

Room set up is certainly not optimal and there is very little room treatment. The image on the wall is stuffed with old towels and backed with a sheet of plastic. The rug, with underlay, is the best upgrade in the room. Behind the listening position (where I took the image from) is a pair of cushions that sit just behind my ears. Out of image to the near right of the room, close to the TT is a sub woofer, you can just amke out the top corner.

System is;

• LP12, Cirkus, Nima, Dynavector DV20XL, Heed Orbit PS, Heed Questar MC Phono
  • Laptop running JRiver and Tidal (also using Bubble via Tablet for Tidal)
  • Arcam rDac with TeraDak PSU
  • Chord Mojo
  • Schiit Magni Headphone Amp
  • Electrocompaniet ECI-3 Integrated Amplifier
  • Mostly Mogami interconnects (the Mojo uses a Belkin) and Mogami speaker cables
  • Legacy Audion Studio HD speakers
  • JM Lab Chorus SW700 sub
  • Ultrasone Pro 550 Headphones
  • Sennheiser Momentum 2 Headphones
For the photographers looking all the images are snaps with a Google Pixel 2.

You might want to consider much larger mounting brackets as well as expanding anchors as speakers produce a lot of vibration...

Hi Graham,

They were the largest I could get here as retail. I may have to look elsewhere, thank you.

Reactions: GT
Are those wall anchors all tight? I don't like them. The conical wedge can spin and stop them tightening up properly and then you can't get the fekers back out!

The top fixings are taking all of the weight by the way. As long as those two are tight you're good.

Nice work space... Could your speakers not be stand mounted either side of your desk? Might be safer and possibly place them at a more suitable height?

That is not a practical option with the layout. When I moved in I had floor standers. However, they then stop access to the storage on the left which is where a number of regularly accessed documents are kept. The other end of the storage is accessed even more frequently. I got rid of the floor standers as a result.

Stands would certainly place them better. They would just get knocked regularly, especially by someone other than me!

Loving the cleanliness and order of that room. If I give you twenty quid will you come round and do mine?

How do you get on with sound imaging?

In my last study/man cave I initially had the speakers (Videoton Minimax) above my head on the shelves. I could not get on with the sound imaging being above me. I brought them down to ear level and was much happier.

In my new house I have more room and the Minimaxs have transformed into Isobariks on the other side of the room!

Are the fixings into the brick or the mortar? Bricks are preferable to the mortar. You have no idea what is behind the finished mortar.

I would avoid using the bottom style in bricks as you are likely to split them. A sleeve anchor puts the expansion forces deeper inside the brick.

The plastic plugs should have quite a high pull out force. I would be very surprised if they were not suitable. You need to drill the hole to correct size and use the largest screw size specified for largest plug you can get. Use all the mounting holes provided in the bracket.

The is assuming these are proper high density bricks and not some light weight brick.

Any chance of re-positioning the speakers on or at the opposite wall but lower (if on).

The opposite wall has a large and very comfortable sofa bed that is the main seating. Due to the shape created by the wardrobes on the left it means I cannot swap the room around as the sofa is too wide.

Loving the cleanliness and order of that room. If I give you twenty quid will you come round and do mine?

If you include travel costs I will consider it when the current travel bans are over!

How do you get on with sound imaging?

In my last study/man cave I initially had the speakers (Videoton Minimax) above my head on the shelves. I could not get on with the sound imaging being above me. I brought them down to ear level and was much happier.

In my new house I have more room and the Minimaxs have transformed into Isobariks on the other side of the room!

From the listening position the sound is good. I do not listen when sat at my desk as, similar to your experience, the sound is not as good. It does work better than the small speaker I use on the PC. However, when at the PC if I listen to music I use the Headphones.

advertisement

Back