advertisement

dCS Bartok or MSB Discrete DAC/streamer

I heard the original Auralic dac and it sounded very ‘hi-fi’ to me, have they moved on much since that one?

I couldn’t possibly comment on your subjective opinion. To me the Aries and Vega G2 together sound very musical. FWIW I found the early dCS kit very dry and hi-if but the newer stuff seems better.

Sorry to harp on, but the Vega G2 has true-balanced outputs as well.:D And to the OP, I’ve never heard a system that wasn’t better with a good pre-amp installed versus DAC-pre into power amp(s) (and I include the full-bifta 4 box Vivaldi set-up in this). You sure you want to do this?

I couldn’t possibly comment on your subjective opinion. To me the Aries and Vega G2 together sound very musical. FWIW I found the early dCS kit very dry and hi-if but the newer stuff seems better.

Sorry to harp on, but the Vega G2 has true-balanced outputs as well.:D And to the OP, I’ve never heard a system that wasn’t better with a good pre-amp installed versus DAC-pre into power amp(s) (and I include the full-bifta 4 box Vivaldi set-up in this). You sure you want to do this?

just to add that the Vega G2 has an excellent analogue volume control. If you are only going to use Roon the Vega G2 makes a lot of sense.

It is just engineering Nigel, clocks should be close to the DAC chip, an external clock gives the opportunity for the manufacturer to sell you another box, even though it goes against good practise.
Keith

Of course any digital engineer out of the audiophile ring would agree that the clock should be there but then how would the manufacturer justify the extra box and invent a problem that needs a solution? Fear uncertainty and doubt is what these audiobling peddlers rely on. Audiophiles would rather buy a zeptoclock made of unobtabium wrapped in a 20kg milled aluminium box that sparkles and makes other audiophiles weak at knees on forums like this, than buy a sensibly-engineered DAC with a clock sat in the optimum position. In the final analysis, none of this matters in psychoacoustical terms. There is no sonic difference at a double blind level but the 5-digit ‘believers’ want to believe that it makes a ‘night and day veil lifting’ difference let them spend spend spend...it keeps a lot of folk in business.

Anyone know much about the Swiss brand Merging Audio ? Thinking about the NADAC + Power (2 box DAC/streamer/preamp and seperate power supply).

Hardly any user feedback on forums about the brand, but some glowing reviews from the usual Hi-Fi magazines.

Tried the two channel version soon after it was released, it is competent, I recollect Kal Rubinson tried the 8 channel version.
Keith

Anyone know much about the Swiss brand Merging Audio ? Thinking about the NADAC + Power (2 box DAC/streamer/preamp and seperate power supply).

Hardly any user feedback on forums about the brand, but some glowing reviews from the usual Hi-Fi magazines.
Heard this into PSI Audio actives briefly. FWIW I liked the result.

Last edited:
I’ll add a last comment, after going mad with choices on what to get. I have ordered a MSB Premier DAC in basic form, no extras.
About a 4week wait, cannot wait.

I listen to a Rossini and clock but have heard the Merging dac a couple of times at shows and was mightily impressed. When purchasing the dCS we had not heard of the Merging but would love to hear a direct comparison. We initially felt the Merging slightly more detailed.

Can't believe anyone would spend this amount of money without an extended home demo. The only exception would be if you were going second hand and could move it on at little cost.
FWIW I had the whole Vivaldi stack on home demo, and bought a Lampizator

Can't believe anyone would spend this amount of money without an extended home demo
It’s not that simply in some countries. Like mine for example, there is only one dealer, one, in the whole country I can listen to the MSB range. And I live 2,000 km from it.......... People in the UK are blessed with dealers all over a relatively short distance and home demo. is possible too.

It’s just the way it is unfortunately, yeah, in a perfect world I would be able to home demo everything I am looking at.

Show your proof of this statement with the results of a credible double blind trial adopting rigorous protocols on this specific issue or your opinion is worthless.

The garden gnomes and fairies at the bottom of my garden make all sorts of RF pollution - you prove the contrary to me first. You’re the one with religious delusional beliefs that are wacky and crazy. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. You and your chums are the purveyors of FUD-furled expensive boxes that can make fantastical groundbreaking claims. The onus isn’t on me to dispel your magical and delusional framework.

The garden gnomes and fairies at the bottom of my garden make all sorts of RF pollution - you prove the contrary to me first. You’re the one with religious delusional beliefs that are wacky and crazy. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. You and your chums are the purveyors of FUD-furled expensive boxes that can make fantastical groundbreaking claims. The onus isn’t on me to dispel your magical and delusional framework.
Why are “objectivists” so aggressive? If you are confident in your assertions than surely a quiet statement of what you consider fact is all that is required. It’s good to have both sides of the debate of course, but suggesting that someone has religious, wacky and crazy beliefs just casts doubt on the veracity of your beliefs.

First, as camverton has said, why so aggressive? Can you not make your point without throwing out insults? Is this what you consider "objective"?

Second, you say I have "delusional beliefs that are wacky and crazy" and that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". What are my claims, exactly? I have actually claimed literally nothing, other than to question your statement. (Leaving aside your logical flaw that extraordinary claims, like any other claims, require only "evidence" not "extraordinary evidence".)

Third, while I have made absolutely no claims, "fantastical groundbreaking" or otherwise, you certainly have. You said "There is no sonic difference at a double blind level". That is a positive claim which clearly suggests that you have evidence that this issue has been subject to a double blind test and that the result was that there was "no sonic difference". So can you please provide a reference to that test? Otherwise, it would appear that you are making up imaginary experiments and then assuming what the outcome of them would be. That is hardly ''objective''. So please provide a reference to this double blind test you have cited otherwise we will have to conclude that your imaginary experiment and its even more imaginary results are part of your ''magical and delusional framework''.

advertisement

Back