advertisement

Bye Bye Roon and Qobuz

After a bit of thought I have decided to reactivate my old Vortexbox. I can update it to the latest stable release and then use it as a ripping device and server. I will need to attach a hard drive through Samba and I have one available. I also have IPeng from my previous set up. Then I'll rip over the next few weeks. I can ue apple for streaming for now although I would like to incorporate it into the server ecosystem if I can. Otherwise I can use Picoreplayer on my previous Ropieee device and use the airplay plugin if it still exists. Just making a Vortexbox ISO now so will have to try to remember the process if I can. Noe to find a blank CD!

I still use a local server based music collection. I’ve recently been considering stopping my subscription to Qobuz too.

I’m also liking the Audionet iMM UPNP player very much, which kinda makes roon redundant also... but I bought a lifetime licence for c£390 so that’s with me forever!!

I have 1600+ albums on my 2TB SSD server and only have approx 150 albums saved in Qobuz.
At £15 pcm for Qobuz, I could by them for the same kinda outlay and not have any subscription at all.

I’m a Qobuz fanboy, but I can also see an argument for getting a subscription for just say two or three months in winter, trawling it hard for everything you might be interested in, buying the keepers, then stopping your sub till the next year. We just have a Netflix sub in winter and it works great.

My Vortexbox is too old to function so I've set up Picoreplayer with LMS on my Pi and Screen. Listening to internet radio now. Going to set up Paradise shortly and then perhaps add hard drive through Samba and see if I can get it to work OK. Took a while to configure the output but sounding good now and quite slick. Ill pull up IPeng shortly as well. Looks nice.

All good now. IPeng up and running. Just surveying some radio and have set up flac stream of Paradise. Working well and much snappier in the newer update. Going to add BBC IPlayer and YouTube next. I’d show a picture if I knew how. Was so much easier to add pictures to the Roon forum! Suppose I’ve got time to work it out.

Radio Paradise? - I believe there are still 4 different streams available.
Get well soon and all the best for the future.

This. This. This.

If you are resurrecting vortex box, RP flacs play well and offer Regukat Mellow and Rock RP mixes. ALways something to enjoy there b

Soma fm 70s and 80s stations also enjoyable.

All free too.

This. This. This.

If you are resurrecting vortex box, RP flats play well and offer Reg, Mellow and Rock mixes.

Soma fm 70s and 80s stations also enjoyable.

All free too.
I've got them all available on Picoreplayer now. Vortexbox was too old to load most recent software. It was a Vortexbox Mini I bought from the company but only has 1GB of Ram and an old Atom motherboard. I can have a server and player on the Pi and it sounds great and operates snappily.

I've got them all available on Picoreplayer now. Vortexbox was too old to load most recent software. It was a Vortexbox Mini I bought from the company but only has 1GB of Ram and an old Atom motherboard. I can have a server and player on the Pi and it sounds great and operates snappily.

Great. Do load the YouTube plugin too, plenty of music there and you can search or add favs from within plugin.

Great. Do load the YouTube plugin too, plenty of music there and you can search or add favs from within plugin.

Struggled to understand how to get the YouTube plug in to work. Seems more complex since the last time I did it and found it hard to navigate the Google platform. I managed to get my USB thumb stick to work but the samba seemed erratic. Will try again but seem to be a paucity of instructions to do this. Enjoying Paradise and IPlayer though.

Struggled to understand how to get the YouTube plug in to work. Seems more complex since the last time I did it and found it hard to navigate the Google platform. I managed to get my USB thumb stick to work but the samba seemed erratic. Will try again but seem to be a paucity of instructions to do this. Enjoying Paradise and IPlayer though.

have you tried this link ?

https://console.developers.google.com/apis/credentials?

It takes one to ones dev page, if still extant

ronnie

Yes the YT plugin took me a couple of goes to get going - esp with my google a/c.

My Advanced Settings looks like this - an the instructions on this page are the ones I followed.

IMG-1177.png

But it's great when its going - there is such a wealth of stuff on there, much of it good-enough quality, and the LMS Search function is also pretty good. I find stuff i like, then simply Add to Favorites in LMS Homescreen.

Just an update. Set up Picoreplayer with Screen into my CA Dac 100. Attached a hard drive and Samba so I can share ripped files across the network.Very happy with this set up. Listening to BBC IPlayer now and have had Radio Paradise on daily. I also have an IQaudio Dac hat so may compare today. Also added Sharetunes so I can airplay my free Apple and its working well.Also shows artwork on the screen which is a bonus! All in all a real treat stemming from initial disappointment. Things are looking up as I have a job interview next week though hoping the dreaded virus will not intervene.
Will have another go at the YouTube plug in today and that should be enough them to tide me over.Thanks again for your input and keep healthy.
Del

Is it worth pitching the Dac hat against the usb alternative? I’ve heard that USB may be compromised by its sharing of the Ethernet hub? I’ve never had problems with stuttering etc but do others think that a hat will have an improved sound?

might be a different sound, but only you would be able to call it, if it is an improvement.

I don't bother about it much myself

ronnie

advertisement

Back