advertisement

Michell Cusis

Steve is a Benz-fan, the original Cusis was Benz-made. One would expect these to be Benz, too.

I suggested Benz because the generator and the specs suggest such to me - nothing wrong with Benz though.

Internal impedance quite positive. On the top one, 3 ohms is lower even than Koetsu. Not the be-all, but indicative nonetheless. Outputs are fine, though it doesn't say what reference was used. If they are built by Benz, I suspect it's at the European ref. of 5 cms/sec. This again indicates fewer windings on the coil; no bad thing at this (supposed) level.

Will they perform like Benz? No criticism if they do, but why buy an unknown new kid off the block if the originals are similar in tonal range etc. All speculation, of course, but interesting nonetheless. The top one does look to be on a par with Benz's upper LP and LPS (which are superb musically and well priced in the scheme of other high-end cart's)

Benz make for loads of brand, wb, kuzma, michell, it's as easy to spot their generator assemblies as it is lyra derived ones.

The lp and lps both use a ruby armature for coils, none of these do, so they're more likely closer to the mid spec carts, ebony s etc. Though the coil specs are obviously unique

The lp and lps both use a ruby armature for coils, none of these do, so they're more likely closer to the mid spec carts, ebony s etc

Didn't know my old Ebony LP had a ruby armature. There are many Benz LPs; wood (cheap), Ruby, Ebony et al. Besides, my Ebony was the penultimate in the food chain below the (later) LPS. Can't remember the internal impedance, but those Cusis (strange word) cart's do seem to differ in that respect.

Somehow, if it's called the 'Michell Cusis', I don't think it'll catch on as the simply named Hana did.

advertisement

Back