advertisement

Star Trek: Picard

P.S. And look at my avatar. It’s DJ Spock and he’s giving the Vulcan salute while scratching on a table.

I thought he was trying a Mind Meld with the vinyl to hear the words, as we all know after a "certain age" you just cannot hear the words and it's too loud :)

By my count there will be one more ‘regular’ crew member to come. All the previous incarnations seem to feature six plus the captain.

Vuk,

Do you know the connection between Whoopi Goldberg, Nichelle Nichols and MLK?

From https://jamesclear.com/nichelle-nichols

It wasn't just Dr. King who praised her work. When Whoopi Goldberg met Nichols years later, Goldberg said, “When Star Trek came on, I was 9 years old. And I saw this show and there you were and I ran through the house saying, “Hey! Come everybody! Quick! Quick! Look! There's a black lady on television and she ain't no maid! I knew from that moment that I could become anything I wanted to be.”

Joe

Vuk,

I've never seen The View. No cable, but — more importantly — no interest in TV outside my exceptionally narrow focus,* so I have no idea what Whoopi Goldberg has said about Bernie Sanders or anyone else for that matter. I was just pointing out her connection to Star Trek.

Man, I think you've morphed into Grumpy Cat. Marchy is the one you want to emulate — he's perfected cane-shaking, the eye roll and glowering with style and verve.

Joe

* Star Trek, Buffy, BBC space and nature shows

I was just pointing out her connection to Star Trek.

not exactly. you threw MLK into the mix, which is not trivial. that's what i was reacting to.

as for being grumpy, chalk it up to the endless brexit scourge that's been inflicted on the forum. i keep trying to steer things in another direction, like this...

...but most people here only want gammon roasting these days.

Vuk,

I didn't throw MLK into the mix. I pointed out the connection between him and Nichelle Nichols and, by extension, Whoopi Goldberg.

Serious question: Why do you spend so much time seeking out shit that gets you frothy? FFS, I watch TV for escapism and fun, not to get worked up.

Joe

I didn't throw MLK into the mix. I pointed out the connection between him and Nichelle Nichols and, by extension, Whoopi Goldberg.

that's just another way of saying/framing it. the key thing is that MLK was brought up. if he hadn't been, then i would not have commented on her contradictory politics.

Serious question: Why do you spend so much time seeking out shit that gets you frothy? FFS, I watch TV for escapism and fun, not to get worked up.

i'm not sure i am seeking stuff out (the internet has a nasty way of bombarding you with it) and i'm also not watching the view on television. it's a massively influential show in terms of politics so gets frequently brought up in news reporting -- especially on independent, leftie news, with the goal of getting one worked up. that said, when it comes to escapism and fun, i've always been more worf than riker, with the exception of those house music drinking parties and pick-up basketball in the distant past.

now, if you really want to go after people for being "frothy" let me again mention the brexit feuders, who are consuming 90% of forum bandwidth with their anger and repetition of the same sh*t over and over and over again. it would be nice if PFM separated all that into its own room.

Vuk,

p.s. climate catastrophe is not helping my mood.

It's not helping mine, either.

But back to the topic of this awesome thread — new episode tomorrow! I suspect Seven o' Nine will be in it for more than 15.6 seconds.

Don't make me Trek this thread! I swear, I'll do it.

Joe

Reactions: vuk
well, i sure set myself up for that -- and i do like prune juice, though it's been ages since i had some.

If fishies haven't seen Star Trek: Da Next Generation recently or at all,* but are watching Star Trek: Picard, this clip ought to fill in some gaps about who Commander Bruce Maddox is and his connection to Data.

Joe

* If you're in this group, I just did this.

Just watched episode 5, it's bit messy in my opinion but there is a character who is the baddie and this person looks remarkably like a crew member in TNG.

advertisement

Back