advertisement

Linn Magik amp speaker connectors

spamnap

pfm Member
Trying not to sound like a complete noob but what kind of speaker sockets are they on mk1 magik??

That's a pic of the second gen version (i.e. AV casework) though isn't it.

My first gen version (i.e. LK casework) used bananas, but perhaps there were different versions.

Just found a pic showing 4mm bananas, I’m guessing it was a mk1. The Majic I saw back in the day had the same BFA connections my LK 85 had.

Just checked my LK Majik I and it as bananas.

The latest version uses BFA.

That picture is of the current box style not the old LK box.

It depends on the age of the Majik, they originally used regular banana plugs but I think they changed over to BFA around 1995/6. I borrowed one a second hand one from my dealer to try out in around 2000, that was a 1995 model and had banana sockets (I ended up buying his demo unit which was a 1999 unit). I’ve owned about seven of them all made since 1996 and they’ve all had BFA sockets, I use the Nakamichi Z plugs, they’re cheap and they fit nicely in either the BFA or banana sockets.

That's a pic of the second gen version (i.e. AV casework) though isn't it.

My first gen version (i.e. LK casework) used bananas, but perhaps there were different versions.
No it isn’t, it’s a late LK series Majik in silver. I think you’ll find the majority of them have BFA sockets too since the change was quite early on. They were introduced in 1993, the change happened late 1995/early 1996 iirc and they were in production until 2006.

Just checked my LK Majik I and it as bananas.

The latest version uses BFA.

That picture is of the current box style not the old LK box.
Nope it’s definitely an LK box, I have two just like that, albeit in black. They updated the sleeve in late 2000, added silver finish as an option and slightly updated the black finish from a crackle finish to sparkly finish (smoother texture than the crackle black and with a subtle glittery sparkle), the sparkly finish looks really smart and kept the LK design looking very fresh.

Thanks all for the info, now I need to buy some plugs to test ito_O
Is the picture you linked of your actual amp? The reason I ask is that the LK Majik needs either some links between the pre out and power amp input sockets (as shown in the picture you linked), or a pair of RCA leads, otherwise you’ll hear nothing (the pre and power sections aren’t connected internally in a Majik)... I had someone send me one to repair that they had declare dead, it just needed the links, there was nothing at all wrong with the amp.

Milty or Nakamichi Z plugs will work with either BFA or banana sockets, the Nakamichi ones are dirt cheap and do the job as well as anything.

And finally, enjoy it, the Majik is a very underrated amp, easily the equal of a Nait (and with about double the power on tap), I really doubt you’ll be disappointed.

Just some pics of my actual
49555720678_5c6d1d8b02_s.jpg
49556453392_df99717925_s.jpg
49556216886_264662c666_s.jpg
49555720793_6320ff7b99_s.jpg
amp, can you tell me how to single wire them? Are the terminals for 2 sets of speakers meaning top row for set 1 bottom row for set 2?

advertisement

Back